2 (resized).jpg
skillshot-scanlines (resized).PNG
myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 41.
#651 9 years ago

Best game at expo, best service/support, and it keeps improving........it's a no brainer if you have the coin. Unfortunately, I do not.

#652 9 years ago

Odds are my only hope of trying this one out is if Pinball Wizard buys one like they bought an AMH, but I feel like that place already has me spoiled enough with the selection of tables to play.

#653 9 years ago

just too hard to resist... I'm in!

#654 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Resistance is futile. Welcome aboard !

#655 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Awesome. Rule #1 is you need to find 2 others and convince them to also get in
They of course need to find 2 more and before you know it we are at 100 and all stoked!

#656 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

welcome to the club!

#657 9 years ago

Zeus commands you to buy this pinball machine!

#658 9 years ago

Watched that big lebowski video, looks boring as hell. I'm pretty surprised that this machine isn't getting more love.

#659 9 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I reallly hope this gets made but there's just no way I'm getting without playing it. Hopefully they move forward with production or push the drop dead date till after the Texas spring convention.
Looks great and a cool theme, I wish the designers the best.

Allentown 2015 also, there is just NO WAY I'm buying without a long hard play of the game.

This whole thousand dollars down and several thousand dollars in January or whatever is all well and good, but I need to play it first.

GLWTS and all that keep up the good work, I suggest keep on working on it, if the music is a placeholder, I suggest putting in the real music and real call outs so we can hear what we are getting.

My 2c.

#660 9 years ago

Any idea how many have been pre-ordered so far?

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Watched that Big Lebowski video, looks boring as hell. I'm pretty surprised that this machine isn't getting more love.

I agree with both counts.

Wooly looks much better, I can't believe TBL is getting so much attention and this is not.

First TBL under playfield is OMG who cares? A mechanical bowling alley seems such a waste, boring to the extreme if you ask me.

I believe, if you want my opinion, maybe people might not like the callouts or the music for Wooly, TBL has real music form the movie and clips, this is a MAJOR selling feature and worth it's weight in gold.

I know Wooly is not a liscence game so it's not working off an established voice actors and multi million dollar music catologue, but IMO that means Wooly has to bring so much more to the table and I think it does so far as gameplay and rules whatnot which is what I care about. But IMO if you are using music like whatever you are and say that's not the real music or that end users can put their own music in, that's just not a polished game to me.

#662 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wooly looks much better, I can't believe TBL is getting so much attention and this is not.

While I agree with this, I've come to expect non-licensed themes just aren't going to garner the excitement of a license. Everyone is always clamoring for non-licensed stuff, but when it happens (like here and with P3) it brings out more crickets than anything. This is a GREAT universal theme, but very few seem excited about it. The bottom line is a license has an established basis that people can connect to. If it's a theme they like, there is a connection / nostalgia that draws people in and generates excitement. Without that, no matter how cool the theme, people just don't seem to connect to the games.

Quoted from rai:

I believe, if you want my opinion, maybe people might not like the callouts or the music for Wooly, TBL has real music form the movie and clips, this is a MAJOR selling feature and worth it's weight in gold.

This goes along with my point above.

Quoted from rai:

I know Wooly is not a liscence game so it's not working off an established voice actors and multi million dollar music catologue, but IMO that means Wooly has to bring so much more to the table and I think it does so far as gameplay and rules whatnot which is what I care about. But IMO if you are using music like whatever you are and say that's not the real music or that end users can put their own music in, that's just not a polished game to me.

I tend to agree here as well. I've been in on WOOLY since expo, but I can see where others hesitate. This is a lot of money for a machine, and as far along as it is, there are still important pieces that people are asked to ignore/imagine as the end product. I was able to look past the placeholder stuff and have faith the end result will be cool, but I don't blame others that can't. The problem is that polishing those aspects takes money, and if the production of this machine is still up in the air, then further investment needs to be tempered to some degree. Definitely presents a chicken/egg scenario.

At this point I'm assuming there's no realistic way 100 people will be in by the end of this month. Hopefully Scott finds a way to proceed with a smaller group or this gets extended a few months to incorporate people from some of the spring shows.

#663 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

While I agree with this, I've come to expect non-licensed themes just aren't going to garner the excitement of a license.

Well, given the TBL latest developments I am quite happy WOOLY is not a licensed theme. No problem to expect on that side!

Quoted from Cheeks:

Hopefully Scott finds a way to proceed with a smaller group

We all do.

#664 9 years ago

Hey guys, I know all the cool boutique pinball makers are doing the "in" thing and going belly up, but please don't follow their trend!

#665 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Hey guys, I know all the cool boutique pinball makers are doing the "in" thing and going belly up, but please don't follow their trend!

Perhaps this is a second language issue--otherwise this is a random and very unwarranted comment, IMO.

#666 9 years ago

When did this thread start becoming a place to take shots at TBL? Whysnow started it long before the drama, and it's frankly really off putting.

If you guys think it's helping WOOLY look good then think again.

#667 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When did this thread start becoming a place to take shots at TBL? Whysnow started it long before the drama, and it's frankly really off putting.

Seriously...every time Whysnow says anything about this game, it makes me less interested. Put a muzzle on your unofficial mascot, guys.

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I did not start this thread, but am still a huge supporter of what I think is the best pinball to come out in a long time. What is wrong with being positive about a game like WOOLY?

Great guys, great theme, and super fun game. I find it sad that some people want to hate on everything and the people that are trying to create new pinball.

#669 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Perhaps this is a second language issue--otherwise this is a random and very unwarranted comment, IMO.

I think you're taking this comment the wrong way.

#670 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

What is wrong with being positive about a game like WOOLY?

Nothing. It's when you do it with snarky comments about how everyone who was waiting in line for TBL was wasting their time that it's really unappealing.

You really don't want to start turning this into a comparison thread, so stick with being positive and leave other games out of it is my suggestion. That goes for everyone else, if you're truly interested in building support.

Just my two cents, ignore if you like.

#671 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I did not start this thread, but am still a huge supporter of what I think is the best pinball to come out in a long time. What is wrong with being positive about a game like WOOLY?
Great guys, great theme, and super fun game. I find it sad that some people want to hate on everything and the people that are trying to create new pinball.

Ugh...it's not about "hating" on anything, it's the fact that no one wants to be berated for deciding not to pre-order an $8000 pinball machine...especially where we are right now with the "2014 Boutique Clusterfuck". Just stop being condescending....the game will (or won't) sell on its own merits - it doesn't need you poking people in the side.

#672 9 years ago

Great looking game! I'm excited to play one. Seems like you guys are doing it right!

#673 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nothing. It's when you do it with snarky comments about how everyone who was waiting in line for TBL was wasting their time that it's really unappealing.
You really don't want to start turning this into a comparison thread, so stick with being positive and leave other games out of it is my suggestion. That goes for everyone else, if you're truly interested in building support.
Just my two cents, ignore if you like.

This is the only comment I have made in any way

Quoted from Whysnow:

I felt bad for all the silly (to me) people waiting in line to play TBL when WOOLY was by far the jewel of the entire show.

Pretty sure I used enough verbiage to denote that it was my opinion. Sorry poeple are so butthurt over what is going on with DP right now. By and large I have been nothing but positive about the things I enjoy about WOOLY.

#674 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is the only comment I have made in any way

Pretty sure I used enough verbiage to denote that it was my opinion. Sorry poeple are so butthurt over what is going on with DP right now. By and large I have been nothing but positive about the things I enjoy about WOOLY.

No need to pander to anybody. Give your "two cents" when, where and how many times you want to. This is forum. Who cares if your comments are snarky...if he has a problem with it, let him ignore you then!

By the way... Your right!

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I think you're taking this comment the wrong way.

What did I miss? How else would you construe doing the "in" thing by going belly up? I don't believe that is anywhere near a proper choice of words. "Unfortunate thing" perhaps, but no one is trying to be trendy by designing a pinball machine and going broke doing so.

#676 9 years ago

Another week gone by and another quick update on WOOLY progress. From a software perspective we continue to refine and finalize the wizard mode. As of now we have 5 levels that are playable once you complete all 8 monster/gods and sirens, as well as being available in the mini-game menu to play just for fun. With the Greeks being fond of poetry, each level has its own rhyme and its own challenging requirements to pass. Details of each level will be shared later with a special spoiler alert for those wanting to discover them for the first time in game play, as some of them I find to be quite unique and fun.

Level 1 – A CHALLENGE OF ENDURANCE TO GIVE ARES YOUR ASSURANCE.
Level 2 – POSEIDON TESTS YOUR CONSTITUTION TO ENTER THE IMMORTAL INSTITUTION
Level 3 – LIGHT THE LAMPS THAT HADES SET - AVOID THOSE THAT ARE LIT FOR THEY UPSET
Level 4 – STAND FIRM AND FACE ATHENA’S WRATH, FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH HER WEAVING PATH.
Level 5 – DEFEAT ZEUS’ ARMIES TO OPEN THE PORTAL – TO OLYMPUS CLIMB AND BECOME IMMORTAL.

We also have the “Demi-God” mode programmed. Once a player has challenged all of the monsters and gods but has not defeated all of them, they will start battling the first monster that was not completed. If you defeat the monster you are battling, you continue to the next monster immediately, and so on through the monsters and gods up to zeus. If you complete all 8 monster/gods in the demi-god challenge, you immediately start the wizard mode.
At this time the programming for Wrath of Olympus is nearing completion. Next on the list is to code the TOURNAMENT mode settings (balanced scoring/no ballsaves/no extra balls/etc) along with continued testing and debugging. By the end of December we hope to have finalized code where players can expect to play a complete game knowing that additional updates in the future will be done to fix any bugs that may have been missed along with providing additional new and unique mini-games. As always, we will also be listening to our customers for their feedback in regards to improvements to the code and updating/implementing those changes and ideas that make a good fit.
Questions, comments, suggestions, and information on ordering can all be sent to [email protected] . Thanks!

#677 9 years ago

Any developments on voice work or tunes that you can share?

#678 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

What did I miss? How else would you construe doing the "in" thing by going belly up? I don't believe that is anywhere near a proper choice of words. "Unfortunate thing" perhaps, but no one is trying to be trendy by designing a pinball machine and going broke doing so.

He's being sarcastic, geez.

#679 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, that aspect seems to be a hurdle for some before ordering.

#680 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Currently we have plenty of options on both the music and voice-overs. However, we are currently waiting on pulling the trigger on them until after December when we know the projects is a go or no go.

#681 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Currently we have plenty of options on both the music and voice-overs. However, we are currently waiting on pulling the trigger on them until after December when we know the projects is a go or no go.

Totally understand and don't blame you, but as I stated above, it has created a chicken/egg scenario for some contemplating pre-order.

#682 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Yeah, that aspect seems to be a hurdle for some before ordering.

The music will always be a hurdle for some people regardless of whatever music we put in there. We're going to try and find something that fits the best (may even solicit the opinions of those who have actually put money down) but at the end of the day you can't please everybody.

#683 9 years ago

This games seems to have the most shots and the deepest rule sets! Congrats, I can't wait to play one one of these days.

#684 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Totally understand and don't blame you, but as I stated above, it has created a chicken/egg scenario for some contemplating pre-order.

So very true. I feel like we're dealing with this on many fronts. At the end of the day, I'm hoping that Wrath of Olympus' innovative playfield layout, unique and fun gameplay, deep as heck rule set, original (IMO fantastic) artwork, history of solid communication, 3 previous public showings (2 Chicago Pinball Expos and Allentown), Spooky's committment to building great games and our commitment to providing a one of a kind pinball machine is enough to overcome personal opinions about background music and the quality of voicework (of which can be altered later as needed).

Unfortunately, I think the biggest hurdle we are dealing with right now, and rightfully so, is the pinball communities lack of trust in start-up companies. Hopefully our decision to partner with Spooky pinball to get these games made wins that trust.

#685 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Level 1 – A CHALLENGE OF ENDURANCE TO GIVE ARES YOUR ASSURANCE.
Level 2 – POSEIDON TESTS YOUR CONSTITUTION TO ENTER THE IMMORTAL INSTITUTION
Level 3 – LIGHT THE LAMPS THAT HADES SET - AVOID THOSE THAT ARE LIT FOR THEY UPSET
Level 4 – STAND FIRM AND FACE ATHENA’S WRATH, FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH HER WEAVING PATH.
Level 5 – DEFEAT ZEUS’ ARMIES TO OPEN THE PORTAL – TO OLYMPUS CLIMB AND BECOME IMMORTAL.

Awesome work. I am a novice when it comes to understanding DMD wizard modes and the expectations people have around them. A few questions...

How many other games on the market have this many wizard modes? Is this a first or second or third ever -- being this thorough and varied in the ways you can play out the ending?

Has any other vendor allowed the "try wizard mode first" option, or is this a first -- I think it's a fantastic idea. The other day, I got the genie for the first time ever on TOTAN, and I muffed it -- cause I didn't know what to do. What an upsetting experience. LOL.

"Code completion" has been a loud and disappointing topic in a few other threads for other vendors.

Forgive me if you've already addressed "code completion" in this or other threads.

How % complete is your code base (0-100)?

The fact that you started as a virtual pin -- did that give you an advantage when it came to programming the game? Were you able to re-use anything, or did it just mean you had your "outline" complete and tested, which gave you a huge speed advantage?

thanks,
-mof

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

The music will always be a hurdle for some people regardless of whatever music we put in there. We're going to try and find something that fits the best (may even solicit the opinions of those who have actually put money down) but at the end of the day you can't please everybody.

Current formula to please everybody musically = 3dB dynamic range at most, horribly auto-tune abused vocals with zero dynamic range, huge mid-range scoop with fatiguing highs and booming lows, dizzying nonsensical polyrhythms, and the use of every cliche lyric regarding sex, romance, and partying that you can think of.

Please do not try to please everybody!!!

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Hopefully our decision to partner with Spooky pinball to get these games made wins that trust.

I think this is a win-win regardless.

#688 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Current formula to please everybody musically = 3dB dynamic range at most, horribly auto-tune abused vocals with zero dynamic range, huge mid-range scoop with fatiguing highs and booming lows, dizzying nonsensical polyrhythms, and the use of every cliche lyric regarding sex, romance, and partying that you can think of.
Please do not try to please everybody!!!

LOL. Hi, musician.
-mof

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Unfortunately, I think the biggest hurdle we are dealing with right now, and rightfully so, is the pinball communities lack of trust in start-up companies.

Why not solve that issue by producing a finished machine for people to buy instead of relying on others to finance your game?

Clearly, the pre-paid system is totally broken. If you really believe in your game, why not do what CPR did - and every other business since the dawn of time does - and get personal loans, load up credit cards and borrow money from family to bring your vision to life?

If you don't want to take that risk, why should others take it for you?

Don't get me wrong - WOOLY is certainly one of the best homebrew games I've seen and could proudly stand next to a Stern, once it's totally finished. But asking others to risk their money is clearly a bad business model and it would suck if you got dragged down with all the others.

#690 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

He's being sarcastic, geez.

OK, if that is in fact what the tone of the post was it went right over my head.

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Awesome work. I am a novice when it comes to understanding DMD wizard modes and the expectations people have around them. A few questions...
How many other games on the market have this many wizard modes? Is this a first or second or third ever -- being this thorough and varied in the ways you can play out the ending?
Has any other vendor allowed the "try wizard mode first" option, or is this a first -- I think it's a fantastic idea. The other day, I got the genie for the first time ever on TOTAN, and I muffed it -- cause I didn't know what to do. What an upsetting experience. LOL.
"Code completion" has been a loud and disappointing topic in a few other threads for other vendors.
Forgive me if you've already addressed "code completion" in this or other threads.
How % complete is your code base (0-100)?
The fact that you started as a virtual pin -- did that give you an advantage when it came to programming the game? Were you able to re-use anything, or did it just mean you had your "outline" complete and tested, which gave you a huge speed advantage?
thanks,
-mof

Good questions Mof... I believe my TZ at home has the home ROM which if I remember right maybe lets you try LITZ..? Can't remember exactly, but I think it also lets you practice the upper playfield and battle the power too. But yeah, I can't think of many that let you practice that, which I always thought was sort of a major bummer - how many times do you actually get to a wizard mode, let alone fully understand what you are supposed to do, let alone actually compete at it. In any case we thought it would be fun to be an option and most of all we want WOOLY to be FUN.

Code completion - I'd have to really defer to my programmer on this one, but from a rules implementation perspective I would think we are well past the 90% completed mark. Of course the code completion hinges on months of testing and debug - those last few percents can take a VERY long time to finish. Luckily more than just one WOOLY exists in the world and one of those machines happens to be with my programmer and he is feverishly working on making this game run perfectly.

Ironically ZERO, zip, zilch of the virtual code was used in the real machine. Everything has been re-written from scratch by Frank, my programmer, and integrated with bits and pieces and help from other parts of the great PROC pinball community. More than anything the virtual game was a great tool for getting a feel for the shots and a feel for what other people thought of the game in general - LOTS has changed from that digital game from a few years ago...

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why not solve that issue by producing a finished machine for people to buy instead of relying on others to finance your game?
Clearly, the pre-paid system is totally broken. If you really believe in your game, why not do what CPR did - and every other business since the dawn of time does - and get personal loans, load up credit cards and borrow money from family to bring your vision to life?
If you don't want to take that risk, why should others take it for you?
Don't get me wrong - WOOLY is certainly one of the best homebrew games I've seen and could proudly stand next to a Stern, once it's totally finished. But asking others to risk their money is clearly a bad business model and it would suck if you got dragged down with all the others.

It is what it is. I'm not in a position to acquire the kind of tremendous financing needed to make this game and risk losing everything, especially with the pinball market today. Why should others take the risk? If they love pinball, support new manufacturers like Spooky Pinball and if they love this game. If they trust my business model and trust that the money coming in is going to be spent solely on their game then it's a much smaller risk for them.

#693 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If they trust my business model and trust that the money coming in is going to be spent solely on their game then it's a much smaller risk for them.

The point is, a customer shouldn't have to *trust* you. The list of people they've trusted so far have pretty much all failed them. Why is it the customer's responsibility to take *any* risk at all?

Perhaps the problem you're having in getting people to pony up a $1K deposit is precisely *because* they've been burned enough already on this backwards financing model.

Maybe you'd have no problems selling 100-150 machines if someone could just order it finished and ready to go, and not have to *trust* you.

If you can't get the seed funding together to make it happen, maybe it shouldn't happen.

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The point is, a customer shouldn't have to *trust* you. The list of people they've trusted so far have pretty much all failed them. Why is it the customer's responsibility to take *any* risk at all?
Perhaps the problem you're having in getting people to pony up a $1K deposit is precisely *because* they've been burned enough already on this backwards financing model.
Maybe you'd have no problems selling 100-150 machines if someone could just order it finished and ready to go, and not have to *trust* you.
If you can't get the seed funding together to make it happen, maybe it shouldn't happen.

Like I said, it is what it is. If you support it then support it, if you don't then that's fine too.

#695 9 years ago

fingers crossed for you Scott. If anyone deserves the chance to build a game that you have put so much time into developing, it it you!

If you don't make it to the "go point" then I hope you reach out to those on the "go" list to see if there is a different way to get this done.

I know I would invest in the company in some form just to get the first 100 made if it meant a possible return on the back end.

#696 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you don't make it to the "go point" then I hope you reach out to those on the "go" list to see if there is a different way to get this done.

Good point, maybe you only need 50 people at $10K each, then start regular production from that point forward and the first 50 get a piece of the company or something.

Can't imagine it's a high margin business though.

#697 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

It is what it is. I'm not in a position to acquire the kind of tremendous financing needed to make this game and risk losing everything

I wonder if there isn't a middle ground.

What I would personally love to see from boutique manufacturers (and it's the model Spooky has used successfully) is this:

Company makes complete game. Code, sound, dots, art, everything is done. You self finance that. It costs however many thousands it costs. The more you can do yourself, or with a partner who's willing to invest time in return for a share, the cheaper. You're close to that.

Then you have a final game with a lot less unanswered questions to make your tour with. And you've got to hit the major shows. People want to touch the game in person. So that's part of the budget and time too.

But it's not hundreds of thousands of dollars either.

Once you've done that and everything is ready I think you can say "hey, this is the game, it's done, you can touch it, you can play it, you can hear it, and if you want it then we need to crowd fund. But everything is done, we're ready to order parts and start production now."

I simply can't support anything less than that at a minimum. It means risk and money on your side, no question. But before you can ask anyone to risk their cash you have to put yourself out there.

So if you don't get your 100 orders maybe you can take what you have, do those next steps, and try again.

#698 9 years ago

The game at expo was already about 90% of what you are asking for Aurich. Did you see it? or play it?

I think if anything the game is more polished now and that a trip to TPF may be enough to complete the remainer of the 100 crowd funded preorders?

The opportunity for others to touch and play the game and meet Scott/Frank is huge IMO.

#699 9 years ago

Yeah, I could get behind that model way more than "maybe we'll make it, maybe not, it's your risk to take".

#700 9 years ago

Or, price the game based on single unit sales. It costs X to produce one game - if you want it, that's the price. No limited editions, no minimum units, just "give me this much and I'll send you a game in X weeks".

Like a custom couch!

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.