• Latest reply 6 years ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a very nice bally fireball that isnt currently working. When I go to start a game it goes from game over to ball one but it gets stuck trying to reset itself. All score reels go to zero but the player 1 and player 2 reset coils continue to fire and the score motor never stops spinning. I do have the schematics but ill admit they mean very little to me. Where do I begin to look on this one?

#2 6 years ago

using clays guide I'd go through all the steppers to see all ball count - player up units are reset

is this thing going to be @ the Sanctum the 26'th perhaps ?

#3 6 years ago

Check all the zero position switches on the score reels. There's two per reel, and one is in series between all of them to tell the game that all the reels are reset. The other one actually fires the individual reel. So even if they all reset it might not know it

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Check all the zero position switches on the score reels. There's two per reel, and one is in series between all of them to tell the game that all the reels are reset. The other one actually fires the individual reel. So even if they all reset it might not know it

Good advice, @zacaj. If that doesn't clear things up, Check these switches that run the motor.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

Since it is happening at start up it easily could be a single score reel zero switch. Look at the very upper left part of the schematic where the reset relay is. The reset relay is energized during start up, and it is held energized by its own switch which is a lock-in switch and also in series with NC score motor switch 8C. When the score motor rotates around and gets to position 8 then that 8C switch will open, cutting off the lock-in circuit and denergizing the reset relay UNLESS any score reel zero switch is still closed. You can see this in a parallel circuit to the lock-in circuit labeled "(16) score drum units zero".

There are 4 players each with 4 score reels so there are 16 total zero switches. The schematic has a shortcut notation (to save space) by showing just that one open switch, if it were truly accurate it would show 16 different zero switches all lined up in parallel. All 16 have be open to cut that circuit off so the reset relay will deenergize when score motor switch 8C opens and then this will stop giving the score motor a signal to go.

Those switches are open when the score reel is in the zero position and closed otherwise. So make sure all 16 of those are set up right. If just one is staying closed at zero you have this problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrapping-my-head-around-a-bally-fireball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.