Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0811211505a_HDR (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-11 151928 (resized).png
Screenshot 2021-08-11 152013 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

I recently got a WPT in a trade and it has a couple of issues I am working. One I think I have figured out but wanted to double check my logic and get help sourcing a small resistor.

I am missing an entire column of lights (IC-U15)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

and after tracing the wires found that one of the light sockets was broken and dangling loose behind the back board of the playfield and could have easily shorted (I replaced it). I then measured the U15 transistor and it measured weird so I bought a new one. However after reinstalling it still didn't work. I then started checking other items and found one of the tiny resistors connected to U15 wasn't registering (0 ohms) but the similar one on U17 was measuring 47 ohms. So I think I have a bad resistor but wanted to double check my logic.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 151928 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-08-11 151928 (resized).png

0811211505a_HDR (resized).jpg0811211505a_HDR (resized).jpg

However, I can't for the life of me find a replacement. I know the part number and looked on Digikey, Great Plains, google and some other places and can't seem to locate one. Can someone help me source this?

Screenshot 2021-08-11 152013 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-08-11 152013 (resized).png

Also, one smaller issue I am curious about. I am getting a service error to check switch 1 and 2 but in they manual they are listed as unused? I am just wondering if this is indicative of some other kind of fault or just buggy code.

#2 2 years ago

Replacement = Vishay RCG080547R0JNEA

Size 0805, 47 ohm, 5%

Other manufacturers available such as Panasonic, Yageo, Bourns...

Can find these at Mouser.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Replacement = Vishay RCG080547R0JNEA
Size 0805, 47 ohm, 5%
Other manufacturers available such as Panasonic, Yageo, Bourns...
Can find these at Mouser.

Awesome, thanks so much. I find buying electronics confusing.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I am getting a service error to check switch 1 and 2 but in the manual they are listed as unused? I am just wondering if this is indicative of some other kind of fault or just buggy code.

Most likely outdated game code.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Most likely outdated game code.

Great...how do I update the code? I think it has a USB, where do I find the newest code?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Great...how do I update the code? I think it has a USB, where do I find the newest code?

Just go to Sternpinball.com, click on Support, and then click on the Game Code tab.

Game code updates are available for all SAM and SPIKE tables there. All update are applied via UBS drive.

#7 2 years ago

So I replaced my resistor and transistor and it still didn't work. I am going to try to trace everything through but maybe someone has an idea where to start. I am not an expert but here is what I think I know:

1.I am missing an entire lamp column
2. A lamp socket was broken and dangling and I think very likely shorted (now replaced)
3. When I measure the Y/O pin on the board for AC voltage it measures different than the other pins when in "All Lamp" test mode (So I am pretty confident it is on the board
4. The resistor measured 0 ohm but now measures 47 ohms like the others
5. The transistor did measure weird but is now new and measures the same (however I am not very confident on checking transistors, I am using the diode setting on the multimeter)

The resistor is very tiny and surface mounted and I think I did it right but it is possible it is not so I will check that again as well.

All that I can think of is to measure everything through the board and look for something weird but if anyone had some guidance I would be helpful.

#8 2 years ago

I am going to repost this with a better title

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpt-finding-replacement-sm-resistor?hl=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.