Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ts4z
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I was playing with the coils under the bottom left pop targets and pulled too much current and blew the F8 fuse. I replaced that but now the coil stays energized. I am thinking that something got damaged like a transistor but I am not sure what,yet. I am thinking the transistor that grounds the coil is shorted to ground. Is that usually the case with a shorted coil? How do I check this easily without a scope?

I am half tempted to have both outputs for the two sets of pop targets to operate off of one pull down transistor. I think that 95% of the time they both operate at the same time and have them either side pushed up when it already is up I doubt would cause problems.

#2 9 years ago

Most likely transistor driving the coil is bad.

Check if it's shorted with a meter. Youtube has lots of videos to use a meter or check a transistor for shorts.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Yup it's probably the transistor .

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

I am half tempted to have both outputs for the two sets of pop targets to operate off of one pull down transistor. I think that 95% of the time they both operate at the same time and have them either side pushed up when it already is up I doubt would cause problems.

That is not advised. A transistor can only sink so much current; surprising it by having it drive two coils will probably fry it. Plus, the game will get confused as to which drop targets are up when it goes to try and reset them.

Replacing the transistor is not hard for anyone who works on circuit boards. Coil test will tell you which one is bad, as will the manual. I looked since I had it handy, it's Q7. It's an easy replacement. I guess you might also have to replace the diode, so add another two cents. Should cost about $2 in parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Trade
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpt-coil-staying-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.