You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_4275_edited-1.jpg
IMG_4274_edited-1.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I got my WPT last night. Playfield is perfect, but there are some minor issues with the cabinet. There are a few scrapes on the right side backbox and a very small piece of wood missing on the left side backbox edge. I understand that the art is painted/stenciled, not a decal. True? So, I'm looking for some advice on fixing these issues.

Can I used Bondo for the missing wood near the edge? It's almost 100% black there, so it should be easy to match. What type of paint?

The scratches on the other side are tougher. I'm no artist, but would need to be get it looking right.

I can post some pics if needed.

Love this game. Very deep.

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Here's some pics.

IMG_4274_edited-1.jpg IMG_4275_edited-1.jpg
#3 7 years ago

Anyone???

#4 7 years ago

For the upper corner that has a big chunk out of it I would use a serious wood filler. Remove any wood that is loose then fill and sand. Lowes or Home Depot have putty called Plastic Wood. Works well. As far as painting, I typically use water base acrylics (available at most hobby stores). You can't get a gloss black, but I do the needed repairs then give it a coat or two of gloss Varathane. The lower repairs will be tougher to match the colors on but can be done. Water based acrylics can be mixed to infinite colors. Note that the Plastic Wood is pretty tough stuff and sets quickly so you want to get it on a smooth as possible to avoid too much sanding. I did a complete restore on an early production F-14. Cabinet was in bad shape in the front...actually "cut in" new wood then filled as necessary with Plastic wood. I saved the before piece of front....anything can be fixed!

IMG_0343.JPG
#5 7 years ago

For the corner you need to use a two-part wood putty that will provide better structural strength. A lot of people use automotive Bondo, but I prefer a product that is designed to match the expansion/contraction of wood. Bondo makes a filler intended for wood, as does Minwax (High Performance Wood Filler). If you want a true epoxy, which gives a longer working time (and is elastomeric) I would go with Abatron WoodEpox or J-B WELD Wood Restore Premium Epoxy Putty.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Okay, I used Bondo for wood. It looks good and I was surprised how easy it was. Now, I need to paint it. It's black. Do I need gloss or semi-gloss?

#7 7 years ago

While most will say semi-gloss, the answer is it depends. See the following post for more info.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-touch-up-paint-to-match-black-cabinet-and-black-sides-in-pins

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside