Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JamesH007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The bars drop down at the beginning of the game. When you launch the ball and hit them they go up but they stay up. They won't hold the ball. In the switch test under coil test jail latch number 19 clicks but the jail bars don't drop down. Running version V 14. any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Mine had the same issue. Put the new coil in and the problem was solved.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Poker_Tour

#3 9 years ago

I had this issue. Bars stuck up. The mech is easier to work on than people say. Yah, it's kinda a pain in the ass because it's in the back, but it's just 6 screws and some connectors.

Anyway, when I removed the mech there was a bunch of dried up gunk (from the factory I'm sure) that just made everything sticky.

I took it apart (just some e-rings basically) cleaned it all up, used a light oil based lube, put it back together and it's 100%.

That might be your issue, but don't worry about working on it. Should be easy to tell, if the bars are up and not dropping, try and pull them down by hand. If they move, it's probably just gunky.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I had this issue. Bars stuck up. The mech is easier to work on than people say. Yah, it's kinda a pain in the ass because it's in the back, but it's just 6 screws and some connectors.
Anyway, when I removed the mech there was a bunch of dried up gunk (from the factory I'm sure) that just made everything sticky.
I took it apart (just some e-rings basically) cleaned it all up, used a light oil based lube, put it back together and it's 100%.
That might be your issue, but don't worry about working on it. Should be easy to tell, if the bars are up and not dropping, try and pull them down by hand. If they move, it's probably just gunky.

They drop at the start of a game when I first turn on the machine & in the coil test.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from charm86:

Mine had the same issue. Put the new coil in and the problem was solved.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Poker_Tour

Thx for the link. I'll have to test the OHMS...

#6 9 years ago

I have this problem as well sometimes when I've been playing for a while. I think I'm going to try swapping out the coil. Which of these two is the correct one?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5072-05

or

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6976-01

#7 9 years ago

Did you test the rear opto? I would put it in switch test. An op friend of mine has one and it had the same problem. It turned out the rear opto was bad. I replaced it for it and it works 100%. Don't replace the coil if it resets when you turn the machine on. The Opto boards are pretty easy to repair if you have basic troubleshooting skills.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Did you test the rear opto? I would put it in switch test. An op friend of mine has one and it had the same problem. It turned out the rear opto was bad.

In my case, both sets of optos appear to be functioning like they should. The game will work perfectly when I first turn it on, but after a while the bars will stop dropping consistently. Even at this point, the optos still test fine.

#9 9 years ago

The spring that pushes the jail bars down can weaken. Mine did recently. Because the game was on location and I didn't want to wait for parts, I stretched the spring slightly and that fixed it. Don't recall how it acted in test.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Did you test the rear opto? I would put it in switch test. An op friend of mine has one and it had the same problem. It turned out the rear opto was bad. I replaced it for it and it works 100%. Don't replace the coil if it resets when you turn the machine on. The Opto boards are pretty easy to repair if you have basic troubleshooting skills.

I have to look to see if there is more than one opto triggering in the test. I know when I put a ball in it will trigger an opto.. don't remember two different ones going off. I will also check that spring. Thx for the suggestions

#11 9 years ago

Just put your finger in there. You don't need to use a ball. Put it in switch edge test. There are two optos, I can't recall the switch number but one is called Jailbar Bash the other is Jailbar Rest. The jailbar rest is the one you want to make sure is working.

#12 9 years ago

just an update. It was the rear opto jail bar rest opto that is out. Marco was out of them but I found it elsewhere for $32. Thanks for all the help!

#13 9 years ago

Good news. Thanks for the follow up.

#14 9 years ago

Where'd you find the board for $32?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Where'd you find the board for $32?

www.suzohapp.com It still ended up being $50 with shipping. But I was just glad that they had it. I probably should have ordered two just in case

#16 9 years ago

Holy shit! !!! $18 to ship?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Holy shit! !!! $18 to ship?

Yea..That part sucked. But I looked at it as Marco was $50 to start plus shipping and they didn't even have it in stock. Needed it..

#18 9 years ago

So I was going to replace the rear opto in my WPT last night. I noticed the upper PF looked a little cloudy. I novus'd where the rear opto is and voila it works perfect now. You might want to try that in the mean time.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So I was going to replace the rear opto in my WPT last night. I noticed the upper PF looked a little cloudy. I novus'd where the rear opto is and voila it works perfect now. You might want to try that in the mean time.

Thx but I took it out of the machine and it still wasn't working. Now it's back ordered won't be in until next week.

10 months later
#20 9 years ago

I had the same issue with the jail bars not coming down, My fix was to upgrade to software version 14, remove the small coil and unwind 225 winds (started with 100) to make the coil stronger and cut 2 rounds off the coil spring and it works like a charm. Coil resistance was 14 ohm to start and 8 after removing the 225 winds. I ordered a new coil and spring as well, but got it fixed without having to wait for parts, which is always a plus. Hope this helps someone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpt-ace-in-the-hole-help-needed-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.