• Latest reply 9 years ago by asay
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4053.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Cleaning up a WPT and notice that when I get the ball trapped in the Ace In the Hole it will kick out another ball. Some times the ball just sits in the shooter lane and other times the machine will auto launch it. Anyone have this and know of a fix?

Also, The game appears to go into multi-ball at times when I am really not doing anything. Anyone provide info around when multi-ball should occur and if any know problems are related to this game with multi-ball?

Apologies if these seem like trivial questions but I never played this game and don't have a manual so I am not familiar with it at all.

#2 9 years ago

The random or unlimited multiball could be a board issue that was / is covered in service bulletin 163.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb163.pdf

As to the 1st issue it sounds like a switch / opto adjustment issue.
Note Stern changed the AITH coil to a stronger one in later manufactured games if you are having hold issues.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Poker_Tour

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

he random or unlimited multiball could be a board issue that was / is covered in service bulletin 163.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb163.pdf

I will call Stern and see if this is the issue!

Quoted from cal50:

As to the 1st issue it sounds like a switch / opto adjustment issue.
Note Stern changed the AITH coil to a stronger one in later manufactured games if you are having hold issues.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Poker_Tour

This is not the issue here. The issue with the Ace In The Hole (AitH) is that when I hit the AitH and it capture the ball it's putting another ball into the shooting lane. Some times the game with automatically shoot the ball into play and other times the ball will just sit in the shooter lane. So I have a 2 part question 1. when you shoot the ball into the AitH and it capture the ball should another ball (multi-ball) be sent to the shooter lane? 2. Once the ball is in the shooter lane should the game be putting the ball into play automatically or does this vary where the game will sometimes put it into play and other times the game does?

Thanks for the post!!!

#4 9 years ago

When a ball gets captured it is supposed to put another ball in play in the shooter lane. Mine never auto-plunges though.

#5 9 years ago

What Tm said...

AITH captures the ball then a new ball is put in the shooter lane.
If you get multiball and a ball is held in the AITH its released.

If its auto launching see if you have auto plunge enabled in settings.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks guys for the post. Just an update on the random muti-ball issue, spoke to Chaz at Stern today and the board in this game is one of the original boards that is part of bulletin 163. Chaz provided me with an RMA number and I have already sent the board back to Stern. Once they receive it they will send me a new board.

Quoted from cal50:

If its auto launching see if you have auto plunge enabled in settings.

and I believe I do have the auto-launch so this could be the issue. I will check this out once I get the board back.

Thanks again for the post!

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

Okay so I received the updated board and installed it all. It appeared to me this was resolved but I received an email from the guy I was helping out on this machine. He advised me today that "I am still having an issue with the multi-ball. What is happening is its not holding the ball captive in the "jail bars" after the initial hit. It's releasing the ball and automatically launching another. It should be holding the ball captive and allowing it to be hit a certain amount of times to start the multi-ball".

Anyone with any input? I never had this game in my lineup so I am not certain as to what it should and should not do!

#8 9 years ago

I'm assuming that you've checked the optos. Sometimes, the plexiglass between the optos is all scratched up and needs cleaned or even replaced if it's too bad.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I'm assuming that you've checked the optos. Sometimes, the plexiglass between the optos is all scratched up and needs cleaned or even replaced if it's too bad.

Yeah, actually just stripped the entire playfield down and cleaned everything. The optos are registering with no problems.

#10 9 years ago

Check the metal bracket that holds the optos on. It tends to get loose over time since pushing the playfield back in from a service position results in those wires and bracket hitting the inside back of the cabinet. And if those optos are loose they will jiggle during game play.

#11 9 years ago

It might sound dumb but make sure the correct number of balls is in the game ( 4 ).
After that I would check the opto's in the AITH and the ball through switches.

#12 9 years ago

cal, I just sent you a PM.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

cal, I just sent you a PM.

Ditto~

#14 9 years ago

I do know for fact that there are four balls loaded into the game. I put 4 new ones in upon finishing cleaning and waxing the playfield.

Thanks for the input all. I will have him look into this and post results!

1 month later
#15 9 years ago

Spoke to the owner over the weekend and he took the advice posted above (I actually provided him the url to this post). He advised that he checked the optos, bracket and that it has 4 balls all to no avail.

#16 9 years ago

It's really common for a foggy upper playfield to be blocking that ace in the hole opto. If they were firing when you had it apart it's likely this is the problem.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

It's really common for a foggy upper playfield to be blocking that ace in the hole opto. If they were firing when you had it apart it's likely this is the problem.

Wish it were that easy but the upper playfield is cleaned and pretty lucid. No apparent "fogging". This is just one of those things I am not sure on. I never played this game before so I am not certain as to how it's supposed to function. He told me over the weekend that times he hits the AITH and it spits the ball back out and also puts another ball in play. With what he is telling me there just seems to be issues with how the AITH is functioning.

#18 9 years ago

I finally got around to installing a new mini coil for the AITH bars. They are working perfectly now. This doesn't sound like the same problem as the OP, but anyone who has issues with the bars dropping should look into swapping the coils.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

How would this happen? The optos (inside and out) are horizontal and fully above the mini-pf--they do not transmit thru the plastic pf. The mini-playfield (foggy or not) can't affect the optos here.

Dumb thought, but--could the instant AitH start result from extra-easy settings? (Not sure--never tried this as mine is always on standard or hard.) Have the guy check the installed difficulty level?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

How would this happen? The optos (inside and out) are horizontal and fully above the mini-pf--they do not transmit thru the plastic pf. The mini-playfield (foggy or not) can't affect the optos here.

Yes it can. There is a vertical set of optos just outside the bars that transmits through the mini-playfield. These are the optos that register hits to the bars.

#21 9 years ago

I know on mine i have to novice the mpf regularly or i get false reads on the optos.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Dumb thought, but--could the instant AitH start result from extra-easy settings? (Not sure--never tried this as mine is always on standard or hard.) Have the guy check the installed difficulty level?

The ace in hole lock opto does shine a beam through the plexiglass playfield, if it gets too scratched or dirty it will block the beam.

Quoted from meSz:

Wish it were that easy but the upper playfield is cleaned and pretty lucid. No apparent "fogging". This is just one of those things I am not sure on. I never played this game before so I am not certain as to how it's supposed to function. He told me over the weekend that times he hits the AITH and it spits the ball back out and also puts another ball in play. With what he is telling me there just seems to be issues with how the AITH is functioning.

And no switches show up as bad in the menu?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

The ace in hole lock opto does shine a beam through the plexiglass playfield, if it gets too scratched or dirty it will block the beam.

His plexi has two holes in it that allow the optos to shine through! (the picture is his plexi before it was cleaned)

Quoted from asay:

And no switches show up as bad in the menu?

Correct, when I ran the test no switches showed up!

IMG_4053.JPGIMG_4053.JPG
#24 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

His plexi has two holes in it that allow the optos to shine through!

That's strange. Those holes aren't supposed to be there.

#25 9 years ago

The holes themselves may be blocking light?

I would try pulling the plexi playfield out, and troubleshooting the optos then.

#26 9 years ago

No holes on mine either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.