Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 446 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12669318_946183265472677_2067917693_o_(resized).jpg
    Stl_(resized).jpg
    Mpin_(resized).jpg
    lvl257_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 8 years ago

I have to say that for me, the crack dealer thing worked with pinball. I was randomly at Slingshot Lounge in PDX when there was some random pinball thing going on. The girl at the desk told me it was a pinball tournament and she could tell I was clueless so she said it was $5 for 3 games or whatever price it was. I was like sure, i'll enter. Then I got addicted and have been super into pinball since, so yes, the $3 to be ranked does work. Most people probably don't know it's a thing so pushing that aspect can get new addicts, er, people, into pinball.

As far as the 50% participation, I'm fine with everyone counting b/c of the same thing. We have TONS of guests that come to drop in at league and many get addicted too and the 'being ranked' thing is a plus. I've even seen "Internationally Ranked Pinball Player" on a resume

Quoted from ifpapinball:

This is an interesting one because the argument here pushes us towards the "fully participating" debate that we've had on our Directors forum for pretty much this entire year.
    Is it better to simply wipe those players from existence and require some sort of minimal rate of participation (the most popular number thrown around is 50%).
    So you can safely go join a league for a night, or play in a tournament knowing that you won't have this 85th place result sitting as a black eye on your resume because you didn't "fully participate".
    The bad side of this are the number of players dipping their toe into the competitive pinball water by spending $3 at Pinball Expo to play ONE GAME, knowing they will then become a "World Ranked Pinball Player". My hope is that the rankings is a tool to help bring them into the fold, but with this rule those players would also cease to ever exist in the rankings unless they jumped in with more than a toe dip.
    This is one of those crossroads we often run into of 'promotion of the sport' battling 'accuracy of the rankings'.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't played a herb style tournament yet, but is this really a thing? Someone pays $3 to get ranked, plays one game, and then somehow gets hooked on competitive pinball?
    I'm rather certain that having "beginner" tournaments, which would be available only to new(ish) players, would do a much better job bringing new people into competitive pinball *even though they wouldn't award WPPR points*.
    From my experience running local leagues/tournaments with newbies, pitching WPPR points to someone who hasn't even competed yet is putting the cart before the horse.

Another cool thing with this is that someone told me I played against the Worlds Best Player at that first tourney (whom I had no clue of then, although I did take a photo of him b/c when I asked who was the best person to take a photo of they pointed to him). I mean how many other sports can that happen? Locally we have one World Champ so it's often fun for brand new folks to play 'against' someone of that calibre.

#135 8 years ago

396th http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?player_id=13052

I don't really chase a high ranking as much now as I feel like based on people I've played near my ranking, that it's accurate. I now just play to improve and if I do hopefully the ranking improves.

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This sounds like it had nothing to do with you getting a world ranking though, or did you gloss over her sales pitch?
    Maybe I'm wrong...which would be great. It'll add a dimension to my future sales pitches.

she may have said something but I don't really recall since I was also on sorta a date and couldn't geek out too much on pinball. I wonder if that desk girl is someone I know now - pretty likely. However, at the next tournament I went to as a result of that tourney, I did learn about the world ranking and the TD (JonnyO) mentioned it of which i was thrilled (think I was in the 16,000s then - I actually made the 'Biggest Movers' thing too at one point: http://www.ifpapinball.com/dec2012reward).

1 month later
    #156 8 years ago

In our league you can say you "hate game X" but the stats can prove you wrong - there's a lot of strategy when it gets down to finals. Kinda fun to see what games your opponent picked and how well they played on it. If you guys wanna see what I am talking about here's our SFPD league data on me: http://sfpd.hgstrp.com/players/7/games - so pick Metallica against me looks logical in finals - there's tons more data that you can review too which is pretty nice. Haugstrp has done this for our league and I think he's adding league functionality into Matchplay.events so you might be able to see this kinda data in there once it launches (although I have no idea so don't assume that's true

#191 8 years ago

Would it be good form for a new group to re-start a machine before the next group starts up or is that something player one can choose to do? Although if balls are locked Player One probably wouldn't want to do that. Unless a sneaky player 2-4 is at the machine first and waiting and notices and then restarts it before player one arrives

Quoted from bkerins:

I'm pretty sure you can't collect a jackpot from the outlane on Bad Cats; you can get a Curiosity Spin on ball 3. You can *light* the jackpot but that doesn't do much good when the ball's already drained. Bad Cats' jackpot is significant but there are ways to beat that kind of score.
    Lock stealing is a bit luck-of-the-draw but was very common in late 80s machines like Rollergames, Fire, Elvira, Jokerz, and many more. Only 3 locks for multiball on Rollergames! For Pinburgh 2013 there was an experiment with playing these games as 1 player only; player feedback was very negative toward this and it was not done again.
    One moral is that when the tournament has 200+ games, not all of them are going to be wonderfully balanced competition machines...

1 month later
    #239 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Yep. Once you check that box it won't ever be unchecked ... Even if you're Neil Shatz and you come back in 2023. He'll be "Rated"

We're doing our best to get Neil back doing more tournaments!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wppr-formula-change-to-v52-for-2016?tu=genex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.