Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

I have a question about a format that is based off of the gameshow "name that tune". How it would work ( whether it's a 3 strike brakelope or double elimination) is that player A is matched against Player B on a best of 3 on 3 different games. For Game one player A sets a score ( say 2 billion on AFM) and player B has the option of playing the game to get that score or deferring to player A and making player A play the game to get the score. For Game two Player B sets a score and player A has the option of playing the game to get the score or deferring to player B to achieve the score he set. If it's tied after 2 games Player A and Player B would play the 3rd game head to head. Would this be allowed to be considered 3 games played for TGP. The knock against it obviously is that game one and game two would be single player games but their is the head to head competition aspect and strategy involved on how high, or how low, you set the score.

So if Player A gets an incredible score on game 1, Player B has the option of forcing Player A to beat his own score? And if Player A cannot beat his own score, then Player B gets the win for that machine?

If this is the case, then I do not think this is a format I would want to play for any event of significance. In my opinion, it penalizes a player for getting a great score (the object of 99.99% of all pinball tournaments).

EDIT: My apologies for misunderstanding. Player A "names" a score to be reached. Player B either plays the game and controls his own win/loss. Or Player B forces Player A to play the game and determine Win/Loss. If players are tied after 2 games, the third and final game is a true head to head with high score winning the match. Now that sounds like a lot of fun!

Marcus

3 weeks later
    #252 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/guide-to-wppr-5-0-making-your-event-count
    Posted this question from the website:
    How would limited qualifying with 36 players followed by top 16 double elimation tournament best 2 out of 3 games both brackets fair (17 total matches in the playoffs)?

image-4.jpg 85 KB

Need to know the following:

How many games are used during qualification?
    Are players limited by attempts?
    Do players use high score or cumulative points during qualification?

So far, your Base value is 18 (36 players / 2).
    Your Grade will be impacted by your qualification games. If you can get to 25 games, you can earn 100%.
    Based on your picture, I counted 17 games in the playoff. So I am going to assume you used 4 games during qualification with the best score being used. So that brings us to 21 (17 playoffs + 4 qualifying) games used.

So your grade is 0.84 (21 games getting 4% each).

So your base value would be 15.12 based on my calculations. (18 * .84)

Marcus

#254 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

After reading Bob's latest post on IFPA breaking down different events and how they grade out, I think I forgot a detail in my last question. In single elimination, does it matter if it's one game or best of 3?

Yes, it matters.

If you do a single elimination, then each match would only add 1 game to game count.
    If you ran a best 2 out of 3, then each match would add 3 games to the game count.

Quoted from desertT1:

8 player, single elim, single game, longest path is 3.
    8 player, single elim, best of 3, longest path is 9.
    So it could be either 12% or 36% depending on the number of best-of, right?

Correct.

Marcus

#255 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Sorry Marcus.
    12 games qualifying one attempt.
    For Qualifying Each game gets points by high score (highest to lowest). Scott Danesi's tournament software.
    Top 16 based on cumulative points on the 12 games via Scott Danesi's tournament software.
    Playoffs 16 player double elimination with top 2 in each moving on. They play best 2 out of 3 games on a 7-5-3-1 point system.
    Hope that helps.

Then you have a total of 29 significant games used in this tournament.

That makes the tournament worth 18.00 base points.

Players: 36
    Games: 12 qualification games + 17 playoffs games = 29 total games
    Grade: 29 * 0.04 = 1.16

Since 1.16 is greater than 1.0, we drop down to Max value of 1.0

Alogorithm: (36/2) * 1.0 = 18*1.0 = 18.00

Marcus

#262 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

There's no difference between a 2-player game and a 4-player game for TGP calculation, correct?

Correct. Each player is playing one significant game regardless of the number of opponents.

Quoted from swampfire:

I'm going to try to calculate the TGP for these hypothetical events, all with 24 players:
    Event A: Each player plays in six 4-person matches (6 different games). The player rotation is generated ahead of time to minimize the number of times players face each other. Players receive 4 points for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd, 1 for 4th. Player's points are tallied at the end of the night, and they are ranked accordingly.
    Event B: Each person plays in eight 2-player matches. Matches are generated before the event to ensure that nobody faces the same person twice. Games are drawn from a hat. For each match, the winner gets a 1, and the loser gets a 0. Player's points are tallied at the end of the night, and they are ranked accordingly.
    Event C: Event B is repeated 3 times, over 3 months, so that each member plays each other exactly once. However, the final event would only have 7 matches, because there are only 23 "other players".
    Event G: Each player does 9 "holes" of PinGolf, on 9 different machines. Traditional golf scoring applies.
    Is this correct?:
    Event A: TGP = 24% (6*4%)
    Event B: TGP = 32% (8*4%)
    Event C: TGP = 92% (23*4%)
    Event G: TGP = 36% (9*4%)
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing some nuance. Thanks!

These look good to me. Although Event C seems like a league and I'm not 100% sure if leagues will be weighed differently.

Marcus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wppr-formula-change-for-2015?tu=xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.