Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 9 years ago

I have a feeling everything will even out, just a lot less points.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

That's my feeling as well. Once people adjust to the new normal of 10-15 points for a tournament being 'pretty good' by comparison to other events, I think the motivation to run events at those point values will become more meaningful.
    It's really easy to see 10 points today, and just say F-This, that's a 60% decrease compared to last year. That thought process should fade over time as more and more results get submitted under the new system (hopefully).

I am assuming there will still be the 30 days rule unless it is a "Private" tournament.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The 30 day rule actually exists for 'private' tournaments as well.
    Our IFPA Calendar submission process is all online now through our website, and organizers will notice if they try to submit a date that is less than 30 days away, it won't let you select that date to submit.

Cool Thanks.

I am assuming submission of events will change as well.
    Type of Tournament
    Number of games
    Etc.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

It's already built into the results submission module on our site:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/upload/
    Below the area where organizers submit the actual results (player names and finishing positions), there's a Comments box that is open. Organizers will have to use that area to explain in as much detail as possible the format of the event, and we'll be able to assign the TGP value when we approve those results.
    There's a similar 'information' box in the Calendar Submission module, and we expect organizers to have that information together BEFORE they submit to the calendar. We get a ton of "Format TBD", which is fine for now, but won't fly for any events we see listed for 2015.
    By the time the results submission comes around, it should be more of a confirmation of the format that was submitted to the calendar, so we'll be prepped on figuring out what the TGP value is relatively quickly and easily.

Thanks for explaining Josh.

1 week later
    #237 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

This would severely limit the sale of "10 is the new 25" t-shirts!
    Seriously, the bigger issue is how we treat what we previously considered 'periodic events'. Previously these weekly tournaments were worth 0.5 WPPR points per week, and counted for 1 event on a player's resume.
    Now these weekly tournaments are simply 'tournaments' and have the ability to be worth anything. They will also fill up a player's resume quickly week after week. If we artificially inflate all tournaments, this will hugely impact the weekly/monthly events the most.
    Many of these tournaments will hand out 10 points a week, and to inflate them to 25 points a week you start really impacting the world rankings with results that I would consider far less impressive compared to those 'good' events that were 25 points last year.
    Those players in the 100-10000 range that play mostly small, local, weekly/monthly stuff already stand the most to gain under this new system. They will be filling up their resume quickly with events worth far more than they were previously worth.

Come on Josh. Make the base 17.5. A perfect compromise.

As far as leagues go....if we submit monthly, will league dates need to be put on the IFPA calendar?

2 weeks later
    #250 9 years ago

http://www.ifpapinball.com/guide-to-wppr-5-0-making-your-event-count

Posted this question from the website:

How would limited qualifying with 36 players followed by top 16 double elimation tournament best 2 out of 3 games both brackets fair (17 total matches in the playoffs)?

image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg
    #253 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Need to know the following:
    How many games are used during qualification?
    Are players limited by attempts?
    Do players use high score or cumulative points during qualification?
    So far, your Base value is 18 (36 players / 2).
    Your Grade will be impacted by your qualification games. If you can get to 25 games, you can earn 100%.
    Based on your picture, I counted 18 games in the playoff. So I am going to assume you used 4 games during qualification with the best score being used. So that brings us to 22 (18 playoffs + 4 qualifying) games used.
    So your grade is 0.88 (22 games getting 4% each).
    So your base value would be 15.84 based on my calculations. (18 * .88)
    Marcus

Sorry Marcus.

12 games qualifying one attempt.
    For Qualifying Each game gets points by high score (highest to lowest). Scott Danesi's tournament software.
    Top 16 based on cumulative points on the 12 games via Scott Danesi's tournament software.
    Playoffs 16 player double elimination with top 2 in each moving on. They play best 2 out of 3 games on a 7-5-3-1 point system.

Hope that helps.

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Then you have a total of 29 significant games used in this tournament.
    That makes the tournament worth 18.00 base points.
    Players: 36
    Games: 12 qualification games + 17 playoffs games = 29 total games
    Grade: 29 * 0.04 = 1.16
    Since 1.16 is greater than 1.0, we drop down to Max value of 1.0
    Alogorithm: (36/2) * 1.0 = 18*1.0 = 18.00
    Marcus

Cool. Thanks Marcus. Tom.

7 months later
    #305 8 years ago

The IFPA Rankings are great and I do look at my ranking but if you just play pinball for IFPA points you will not have a good time. I think the best part about tournaments is talking to players, interacting with them, talk pinball strategy and just plain trying to do your best to win.
    Worrying about the points will lead to depression, and the dark side of the force.

Now granted if I was in the top 50 maybe I would be a little more concerned about the IFPA points.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wppr-formula-change-for-2015?tu=tomgwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.