Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 9 years ago

I really like the rule changes. For a smaller area like ours(Birmingham, Alabama) it will make our league seasons worth more points. With some changes to our launch party formats, those will likely be worth more points as well. I also like the idea that a single location will not be limited to one "annual tournament".

I have no problem with pump and dumps whatsoever. Do not forget that there is a certain amount of luck in pinball regardless of skill level. With a larger number of games played, the cream will always rise to the top. If you have a "one and done" format, a highly skilled player can easily finish near the bottom of the results. I know, I've done this many times at our launch parties!

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

The one lucky game is probably not enough to beat Keith's second entry. This deep pockets unlimited qualifying argument for unskilled players really doesn't pan out in the long run. Remember, they have unlimited qualifying attempts too. I'm not saying that it doesn't help to have unlimited qualifying attempts but, if you don't have the skills its just not happening. I totally agree with Adam.

And I totally agree with you. The whole "deep pockets" thing annoys me. What is a couple hundred dollars to folks that can shell out $5000-$8000 for NIB pins?
    The opposite of a pump and dump would be our typical launch party tourney where you get 1 or 2 hours of free-play practice. Then for $5 you get ONE attempt to qualify. Then the top 8 qualifiers go into a playoff. Quite frequently the better players end up near the bottom of the results.

I totally get why this type of tourney will be worth far less points going forward. It's just not a true test of skill. I am all for longer, more meaningful tourneys, with lower entry fees as well!

#201 9 years ago

Hi Josh. I was wondering about the 20 best vs. 15 best. I am assuming that on Jan. 1st the best 5 results you have in your "active, but not used" section will automatically move up into your " following tournaments are used in this players rankings" section. Is that correct?

#210 9 years ago

Now Trent #2 will merge partially with the real Trent! He needs to stay out of that transporter......

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

I have a question about a format that is based off of the gameshow "name that tune". How it would work ( whether it's a 3 strike brakelope or double elimination) is that player A is matched against Player B on a best of 3 on 3 different games. For Game one player A sets a score ( say 2 billion on AFM) and player B has the option of playing the game to get that score or deferring to player A and making player A play the game to get the score. For Game two Player B sets a score and player A has the option of playing the game to get the score or deferring to player B to achieve the score he set. If it's tied after 2 games Player A and Player B would play the 3rd game head to head. Would this be allowed to be considered 3 games played for TGP. The knock against it obviously is that game one and game two would be single player games but their is the head to head competition aspect and strategy involved on how high, or how low, you set the score.

That does seem like a cool twist for a format. But it could only work if both players were quite familiar with the games. For instance, say the first game is RBION. Player A is not that familiar with the game but player B is. Player A has to choose and says 75M. Of course Player B is going to defer and say "Let's see you do it". And then player A will probably proceed to put 10-15M on it. Same scenario;Next pin is Black Knight. Player B is not familiar with the game but player A is. Player B chooses and says 79,000. Of course Player A will elect to play and probably put 200k-500k on the game. So maybe in a league where all players are used to the games and their scoring potential.

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

That is a t-shirt.

I WANT THAT T-SHIRT!

3 months later
    #283 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Hey all, I was interested in getting some opinions from people not playing in a monthly (2nd Tuesday of every month) I will be running in Syracuse, NY. Unbiased feedback from fellow pinball fans.
    The first tournament I plan on running this year would be.....
    -Everyone has unlimited qualifying attempts from 430pm-830pm.
    -Your top 3 scores on each machine (2 machines at bar) counting toward your final tally.
    -Top 4 ranked players at 830pm will go onto the Finals,
    -Best of 3 semi's. #1 seed picks first game and play order. #2 seed plays other game, and picks order). 2nd game in series is other pin.
    -Final where best 6 out of 11 wins (first to 6 wins). Higher seed picks first game and order, must alternate pins after that.
    So totals for WPPR purposes would be...
    6 Meaningful games during qualifying
    14 meaningful games during semi's and finals
    4 hours of open qualifying
    = 24% + 56% + 4 % = 84%
    Average has been 13.5 players showing up for the last 2 tournaments of 2014. So lets say 13 players show up (hopefully more)
    6.5*.84=5.46 WPPR's + (hopefully) at least 1 point for ranking and rating strengths of players involved. Total value of tournament = 6.46 for winner.
    ----
    The question I am most interested in hearing opinions on would be, how do I rank the top 6 scores for each person? Games will be TOTAN and TWD.
    -Add all 3 scores for each machine together, give everyone a ranking on each machine.
    Example 100 million on TWD twice and 50 million would be a score of 250 million, and that would be your value
    -Average of the best 3 games.
    Example 100 million twice and 50 million would be an average of 83.3333 million per game, and that would be your value
    Thanks for the input ladies and gents
    https://www.facebook.com/events/941401782538519/

Josh could say for sure, but I think your calculations are wrong. If it is "unlimited qualifying" then you only get 1% per hour, and you MUST reduce the field by at least 50% going into playoffs. Number of meaningful games in this case does not apply. So 56% for your playoffs and 4% for qualifying = 60%. Am I right?

IIRC, to get it to add up the way you want it, you would have to say "Everybody gets 3 games on each of the 2 pins and every games counts".

4 months later
    #307 8 years ago

Well, this might explain how I suddenly moved up about 15 places without actually adding in any meaningful results to my top 20.

Oh and Josh, they accidentally sent your Magic Girl to Alabama. I'll be sending it your way soon!

#429 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Well done Frax. Think the highest I've ever hit was the 150's. No inspiration to travel around to get in the top 100 here. I'm sure if I spent money to no end in tourneys I go to I'd be there within a year no problem.

Only if Target Pool was in all of them!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wppr-formula-change-for-2015?tu=lotr_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.