New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 104676)

WPPR formula change for 2015!

By ifpapinball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haugstrup.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 6 years ago

I like these changes! It's great to see an incentive for locations that don't have a lot of players to grow pinball in their communities.

Additionally, I really like that places that have a lot of players but not a lot of suitable venues can now run as many tournaments as they want. I know it's a bit of a luxury problem, but it'll be easier to introduce new people to pinball if they can show up at a 20 person tournament that's going on next Tuesday and takes 2-3 hours instead of forcing them to wait 3 months for the next big event where 50 people are battling it out over 6-8 hours.

More pinball is awesome. More competitive pinball is awesome. Thanks to all the IFPA people for doing all that you do so the rest of us can brag to our friends and family about our world rankings.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The other location we use, they have basically given us carte blanche, but it's in a movie theatre, so they're usually set up harder than the other place (mostly redemption kiddie stuff..) and there's no VERY long ball time games like spiderman, BDK, or Elvis there. Apparently with the removal of restrictions I could just use the movie theatre all the time, but I prefer to split the money between the two. Both the movie theatre op and the location owner for the other place are awesome guys, and our local arcade selection would be non-existant without those guys!

I can only encourage you to work closer with the owner of the location that's not setup for tournament play. It's in his best interest to pull in more people and I at least have anecdotal evidence that location owners are reasonable people. Explain to the guy that you can bring in X number of people every X weeks, but that it will only work if the machine settings are modified a bit.

We had a local bar with 5 games. No tilt bobs, super dirty machines, 5 ball play etc. Totally unusable for tournament play. The regular players at the bar kept talking to the owner who could then lean on the operator. Now there are tilt bobs, newer games etc. because to a bar owner 16 extra customers for 3 hours on a Tuesday night actually matters. Now the other bar around the corner have kicked their operator to the curb in favor of an op that actually maintains the machines. Market forces actually work here. But you have to make a good business case for the location owner (step one: Figure out his slowest night and promise to schedule tournaments then)

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Keeping track of seeds and random game selection for a match play event or a swiss style tourney is much more difficult to develop. Pump and dumps also build the player prize pool where a fixed entry does not. Maybe in the future when software is more widely available we will see less pump and dump formats.

Off topic, but not entirely: This is either difficult or a fun intellectual exercise depending on your outlook. I'm toying with the idea of making software specifically for running swiss style tournaments early next year (to run on a laptop/table/phone). If anyone has ideas, suggestions etc. for what their ideal software would look like send me a message. I am still gathering information from anyone that will give it to me, but I don't want to clog up this thread.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Sounds fun to me!
    I think making players play with at least one other person might be something you would want to look into, just to avoid potential cheating . . . but I probably wouldn't worry about that until you get a sense that it might be.

Require your photo proof to have the score on the machine, the player card and you and your buddy smiling for the camera. It'd make a great photo album afterwards!

1 week later
    #243 6 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

The changes in the system were long overdue, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out now.
    Even if I drop in the rankings...

A drop now is just motivation. More pinball is always better.

7 months later
    #295 5 years ago

The WPPR 5.1 update was announced a month ago due to certain formats/tournaments gaming the system. You can see the changes here: http://www.ifpapinball.com/wppr-v5-1-details

I'm guessing it's change #1 that's finally being implemented and that lowered the points value of your league. It doesn't happen very often that retroactive changes are made, but in this case IFPA had to do it. If you want some of the back story there's an interview with Josh Sharpe in Coast2Coast Pinball: http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-163-sharpe-shooting-or-tatsunori-naruke-for-the-win_47206

We've all been nerfed on wpprs at some point*. As usual the solution is to play more pinball and that's not a bad solution at all

* Don't get me started on how the entire SF bay area counted as one "city" for the sake of launch parties and how CAX 2013 suddenly put on a "launch party" in the marco booth that halved points from the launch party that people had spent actual time and money to organize. I guess to people from Chicago Santa Clara and Oakland are the same place

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The extended decay to 4 years along with the fact that the vast majority of tourneys are not worth what they were in the past makes it VERY hard to have a "fair" ranking until all these old results decay out....in four years.

I disagree. I think that next year rankings should be fairly stable as the latest wppr 4.0 tournaments being to degrade at 50%. At that point their results will look like wppr 5.x results points-wise.

#301 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

(and funny enough it's a change where it's actually not possible for anyone to gain points, points will only be lost by everyone due to this change. We've actually found a way to piss off EVERYONE all at once)

I love your commitment! Few people would go the extra mile!

I joke, I joke. I appreciate all the work Mr. Shepherd puts into keeping that database responding to queries (and the IFPA API is awesome). I really like both the wppr 5.0 and 5.1 changes. Anecdotal evidence locally suggest more players showing up and more and better tournaments (no more two strikes tournaments! More match play! So happy!)

#312 5 years ago

Please PM me the address of where to send the check. I can't afford the bug bucks for a top 50 rank. Please include payment schedule for a top 250 ranking. No, I don't want to play pinball to get there.

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

There is one way to get into the top 100. Play high point events and do well. My state has one convention which is pretty large. The main event was just over 21 points and the classics was just over 20 points. There are a few others in state that will get close, but that's it. Compared to some of the CA events, Zapcon isn't even 2/3 of those events. CA has and advantage over AZ, but that's just the way it is.

Keep in mind that CA tournaments are also harder to win. I'm not convinced the advantage is huge when Andrei Massenkoff and Aaron Nelson etc. show up at local monthly tournaments (or Karl Deangelo and Jim Belsito in SoCal). Yes, California tournaments have more points on the line than Arizona tournaments, but those points are also a lot harder to get at.

#418 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Hey Josh, in talking with some people, they really get into the analytics. How about some charts and graphs and stuff? And some "achievements" would also be cool.

You can actually do a ton of cool stuff with the IFPA API http://www.ifpapinball.com/api/documentation/ (if you don't mind doing some programming to pull the data). I'm using it at the very basic level to allow tournament directors to add players by typing in IFPA player numbers in http://matchplay.events -- no need to type a player's name and the app can then automatically seed players by their IFPA ranking. It's not even scratching the surface of what you can do, but even a little counts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haugstrup.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside