Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider funtimewithdave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#279 9 years ago

Hey all, I was interested in getting some opinions from people not playing in a monthly (2nd Tuesday of every month) I will be running in Syracuse, NY. Unbiased feedback from fellow pinball fans.
    The first tournament I plan on running this year would be.....
    -Everyone has unlimited qualifying attempts from 430pm-830pm.
    -Your top 3 scores on each machine (2 machines at bar) counting toward your final tally.
    -Top 4 ranked players at 830pm will go onto the Finals,
    -Best of 3 semi's. #1 seed picks first game and play order. #2 seed plays other game, and picks order). 2nd game in series is other pin.
    -Final where best 6 out of 11 wins (first to 6 wins). Higher seed picks first game and order, must alternate pins after that.
    So totals for WPPR purposes would be...
    6 Meaningful games during qualifying
    14 meaningful games during semi's and finals
    4 hours of open qualifying
    = 24% + 56% + 4 % = 84%
    Average has been 13.5 players showing up for the last 2 tournaments of 2014. So lets say 13 players show up (hopefully more)
    6.5*.84=5.46 WPPR's + (hopefully) at least 1 point for ranking and rating strengths of players involved. Total value of tournament = 6.46 for winner.
    ----
    The question I am most interested in hearing opinions on would be, how do I rank the top 6 scores for each person? Games will be TOTAN and TWD.
    -Add all 3 scores for each machine together, give everyone a ranking on each machine.
    Example 100 million on TWD twice and 50 million would be a score of 250 million, and that would be your value
    -Average of the best 3 games.
    Example 100 million twice and 50 million would be an average of 83.3333 million per game, and that would be your value

Thanks for the input ladies and gents
    https://www.facebook.com/events/941401782538519/

#281 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

There is no difference between these two scenarios. #1 is just 3x larger than #2, regardless of their scores.

haha. I want to delete that now that it looks so silly. I need my coffee i guess.
    So ad all three together is what ill do, less math.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

How are you planning to normalize between the two games?

Thats the real question I should be asking. How to normalize games.
    PAPA Rankings where first is 100 2nd 90 3rd 85 4th 84.....
    or
    First is 1 point, 2nd is 2 points..... and take 4 lowest totals

#285 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

...all the way up to score over 100million it's 10 points. Added bonus of if you score the max amount in 2 balls you get a bonus point, score the max in one ball you get 2 bonus points. You can set up the tiered scoring so it's roughly even between games and as far as addition goes your dealing with 6 scores of between 1 and 12 instead of full addition of everyone's score. Anyway I tried that scoring method last year with about 20 people and it seemed to be strait forward and understandable.

I like that idea. Did it work well with people new to pinball? That is usually at least half my turnout. Were they receptive to the scoring system?

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

IIRC, to get it to add up the way you want it, you would have to say "Everybody gets 3 games on each of the 2 pins and every games counts".

Yes that is how the tournament will be run. Everyone in the unlimited qualifying portion has to play 6 games, but entries are only limited by the time frame. They can play 30 games if they want, and there isnt people in line. The reason there is unlimited qualifying is to get that extra 4% for having it open for 4 hours. When you have "unlimited qualifying" now, the max points you can get from meaningful games is 80% (20 games). I do plan on having every participant play the 6 games. If they play less, they will be at a severe scoring dis-advantage. Hence those first 6 games all counting, and only 4 people making it to the finals where the other "up to" 14 games will be played. If it was only a 7 or 8 person tournament, id have to cut it to 3 people making the finals. 6 or 5, you would have to cut it to 2 people making finals.

#288 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The only potential issue we may run into, is something like this:
    "Players will have 2 hours of unlimited qualifying, and the best score on each of the 50 qualifying machines will be includes in the standings."
    At some point there's sort of a natural law to how many games you can possibly expect players to get through in the time allotted.

Agreed. I ran into that looking at the percentages of trying to get up to 25. So I cut off at 20 games, and thats even with the best of 11 finals. Depending on the feedback, I may have to cut that down in the coming months. For a Tuesday, monthly event, I dont mind it losing that slight amount of value.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider funtimewithdave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wppr-formula-change-for-2015?tu=funtimewithdave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.