5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fna_royam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#220 5 years ago

I have a question about a format that is based off of the gameshow "name that tune". How it would work ( whether it's a 3 strike brakelope or double elimination) is that player A is matched against Player B on a best of 3 on 3 different games. For Game one player A sets a score ( say 2 billion on AFM) and player B has the option of playing the game to get that score or deferring to player A and making player A play the game to get the score. For Game two Player B sets a score and player A has the option of playing the game to get the score or deferring to player B to achieve the score he set. If it's tied after 2 games Player A and Player B would play the 3rd game head to head. Would this be allowed to be considered 3 games played for TGP. The knock against it obviously is that game one and game two would be single player games but their is the head to head competition aspect and strategy involved on how high, or how low, you set the score.

3 months later
    #265 4 years ago

I just created this event for speed running

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/pinball-speed-run-finals-2015

and now i'm a little worried it doesn't conform to the new system depending on how you view the restriction of "timed game"

On the IFPA rules page

"The TGP only considers games of 3 or more balls in the game count, with the exception of the Pin-Golf format where players can possibly hit their target score in fewer than 3 balls. 1 ball games or any timed games will not be included in the TGP calculation. "

I was wondering if you would consider a speed run to a pin golf objective a "timed game"? My thought, and hope, is that the primary purpose of a speed run is to make the pin golf objective and the secondary metric is the time that you make that pin golf objective in. their for it's not a timed game but a pin golf objective that uses time as an additional differentiator.

#282 4 years ago

If I were you I would try to avoid doing addition then averages on all 6 scores and then comparing them to the other players. A suggestion would be to have scores on both machines match up to points from 1 - 10. For example on the walking dead if you score less than 2 million it's one point. Score between 2 and 5 million its 2 points. Between 5 and 8 it's 3 points. 8 million to 12 million its 4 points all the way up to score over 100million it's 10 points. Added bonus of if you score the max amount in 2 balls you get a bonus point, score the max in one ball you get 2 bonus points. You can set up the tiered scoring so it's roughly even between games and as far as addition goes your dealing with 6 scores of between 1 and 12 instead of full addition of everyone's score. Anyway I tried that scoring method last year with about 20 people and it seemed to be strait forward and understandable.

#284 4 years ago

I actually think funtimewithdave's calculations are correct and the 6 games in unlimited qualifying would be counted as meaningful games. I would say though that the 4% for unlimited qualifying, while technically might be correct, seems in practice to be not really unlimited. I'm saying that because in the scenario of having 14 people play 3 games on each machine with average game time being 5 minutes per game it seems unlikely that people would have much time to play more than 3 games on each machine. If you have less people perhaps but if you get much more than 14 people then 3 per machine is probably your limit. Not really a big deal though as its only 4 percent of the total. If LOTR_breath is correct then you should change the format to limited qualifying and make it 6 games per person as in that case they definitely would count as tgp.

#286 4 years ago

Yes the scoring system was easily understood by the new players. It was one of the first tournaments I ran in DC so we had a lot of new players but they picked up on it fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.50
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 218.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fna_royam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside