New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 104676)

WPPR formula change for 2015!

By ifpapinball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebexpress.jpg
    image.png
    image(1).png
    crying-computer.gif
    image-4.jpg
    image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider briandols.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 6 years ago

Out of necessity for my tournaments, I built bracket software that runs in a terminal (RaspberryPi or bash/python) that doesn't require network connectivity or a mouse. It's all keyboard. It supports double byes and byes, and lets me set seedings and query IFPA for rankings if I do have a wifi connection. I've built brackets from 8 to 24 people with it and have people walk up and sign up to register. It lets me record scores per game/match and has limited 'arena' support. It has the capability of tracking match times, as well, and dumps the results into the IFPA CSV format.

I could make this available for free/cheap but doubt that I want to make it open-source. If this sounds useful, rather than dumping some binaries somewhere, I'd rather understand what the needs of your tournament are and determine if it meets your needs and I could test some scenarios to check that it would work for you.

And I'm not the Brian@IFPA. just another Brian who sees an opportunity to give back what I've spent probably too much time working on.

#168 6 years ago

Challonge also supports swiss format. I was using their API to build a simple bracket but then found out that I actually didn't have a good enough network to connect to challonge. It sends out a registration email that I found a lot of people clicked on to sign up with challonge. It also has the capability to let players record their own scores/results if you enable that in your challonge tournament settings.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

At our location, a 16 player double elimination tourney with 18-19 available machines takes about 6 or 7 hours. That's going to turn off a lot of players.

If there's not prizes on the line, the losers bracket in double elim does take too long for the winner in the winners bracket to meet their eventual opponent from the losers bracket. I've been using single elim because I know that we'll probably be done by 11PM on a weekday.

Double elim does add to the WPPR tournament grade but you can switch from best 2 out of 3 to best 3 out of 5 instead to increase the tournament grade. I don't know if I want to make the night run longer though. Just a single best 2 out of 3 match can run an hour long if someone picks a long running game.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

We have 56 players in our league and we keep growing. Over half of them turn out for every event and our turnouts have improved with a move to pingolf, which gives everyone a chance to compete for a long time with no downtime. When done properly this format is very good at separating the top players from the lower ranks.

I like pingolf. The staggered start times can give people time to show up.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

Many have told me straight up that they won't show up for a double elimination event. Too much downtime waiting to be slaughtered by our top players.

That's one reason I used a double bye bracket, the 2-4 top players get the double bye and get to record scores for the first round, and the new-to-tournament players get a chance to advance in the first round.
    Also, if 17 to 19 players show up, with just a single bye, you have everyone waiting on one or two matches to finish so that you can have 16 players in the second round, and 8 machines need to be available. The double bye bracket works out to have more matches in the first round and utilizes less machines in one round.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from noahpdavis:

Question - in the "modified ranking double elimination" paper method . . . is the winner based on the number of wins?
    Are players rewarded (rankwise) for doing better in the (tougher) winners bracket?
    Also - is a bye into the top 16/8 looked at differently than a first round bye given due to an uneven bracket?

Wouldn't losing when you have a bye mean that your final ranking is going to be tied with the other players who lost in the first round?

8 months later
    #338 5 years ago

I surveyed the players in my league on the last meet on the season and among things like league fees and length of the league, I asked them to choose 2 reasons why they joined between: meet/socialize, IFPA points, cash prizes, trophies, quality of the machines, location is a good setup for league, and get better at pinball.
    meet/socialize was picked the most, followed by a tie between machine quality and location, and after that, IFPA points was tied with 'get better'.

nobody picked cash prizes and everyone voted to increase the league fee.

#341 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

How much was your league fee?
    Edit: And for how many games/weeks? And did all of the money go to the prizepool?

$5, considering $10 now due to survey responses.
    and it's 4 games over 8 weeks.
    some of it went to trophies and basically the cash prize was giving A & B division finalists their fee back, if there were more players the prize pool increases, of course.
    the location is going to add more pins and maybe that will bring a larger turnout.

#407 5 years ago

Somebody made an Android app to look up your IFPA profile and events: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.perspiratron.ifpaprofile

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    Magazines/books
    Pinball Magazine
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider briandols.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside