View topic image gallery

20220825_130257 (resized).jpg
lm323_92 (resized).jpg
lm323_92_1 (resized).jpg
lm323-3 (resized).jpg
lm323 (resized).jpg
bad-lm317k (resized).png
pasted_imagev (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuukka.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

The regulator should be short-circuit protected, so not burn out very easily. Have you bought the regulators from a reliable source, there are lots of counterfeit LM323's around and maybe also LM317K?

Powering up the MPU on the bench will enable you to measure current consumption, should be about 0.3 - 0.5 amps from the 5V line.

#4 1 year ago

Check that your CPU board or connector does not have a short between +5 and +12V, the regulator is usually quite robust but does not tolerate external higher voltages at output.

1 month later
#21 1 year ago

Maybe removing the case top with a hacksaw from the original part and one of the suspect counterfeits could reveal difference in die size.

#22 1 year ago

Just checked my latest batch of spare LM323K's from eBay. All have date code 0452, and all the markings could be wiped off with some contact spray. Bummer!

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I wouldn't be surprised if you find a weenie 15 cent TO92 of some cheap brand of LM317 inside the metal can.
https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Linear-Voltage-Regulators-LDO_UMW-Youtai-Semiconductor-Co-Ltd-LM317G_C347367.html

And yes, we have seen the 2N2222 or something like that in a TO-3 cased 2N3055. And also the 10000 uF electrolytics, with a Chinese brand 1000 uF inside the can.

I guess I will make a test bench for my LM323s, run them for an hour properly heat sinked at 2A and 10V input, making 10W power dissipation - about the worst case in WPC driver boards.

Fortunately I have not installed those eBay regulators in any of my friends boards yet.

lm323 (resized).jpglm323 (resized).jpg
#27 1 year ago

Yes, the lid is off centered in random direction in nearly all of the 10 pcs I have.

And what's even worse, the parts are either faulty, or are not LM323's. I will test them again as LM317's, because they look exactly like OP's fake LM317K. Maybe I will open one and try to look at the die with microscope, if there are any markings.

#29 1 year ago

Does not look like a 3 amp die or bonding wires to me.
lm323-3 (resized).jpglm323-3 (resized).jpg

#31 1 year ago

I might have one failed original part in my gameroom trash bin. Will open that when I get there.

So here. A Linear Technology dated 1992. The die size is not so much larger than the fake one, but there a two pairs of heavier bonding wires, going to different places on die, probably to minimize hotspots. Or there might be two output transistors in parallel.
lm323_92 (resized).jpglm323_92 (resized).jpglm323_92_1 (resized).jpglm323_92_1 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#38 1 year ago

The cut open parts and cases I posted are both LM323K's, first the fake then the original. The first picture by OP is his LM317 case.

#41 1 year ago

My fake parts do not work as LM323, but not as LM317 either. I don't know what the die actually is.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

If you have one of those cheapo component testers it might find it?

Now that's a good idea!
20220825_130257 (resized).jpg20220825_130257 (resized).jpg

Clearly, not a transistor either.

A working original LM323 connected to tester in same way resulted in "No, unknown or damaged part".

#45 1 year ago

The component tester identified some of my 7805's as Darlington transistors with high Vf of about 3V. Some 7805 were identified exactly like the fake LM323, with normal diode between output and ground, and a high drop diode lookalike.

So it is very possible that the fake LM323's were made using 7805 die, but something went wrong, because they take almost 60 mA input current with output unconnected, and voltage at output is under a volt. I had 0.1 uF caps to ground at input and output so it was not oscillating. Just for fun, I might try testing all 10 pcs, but into trash they go even if some would imitate a 7805!

Edit: All tested. Two out of 10 were completely open (missing/broken bonding wires or forgot to install die?). The rest 8 were all alike. With 8V input, quiescent current was 60 mA and output 0,45V.

I tried swapping the input and output, just in case the faker had cross-connected bonding wires. Then I tried the negative voltage regulator pinout and connection. No luck.

Be careful what you buy, especially if it is an obsoleted component. With the LM323/LM317 regulators, especially watch out for the NS logo and 0452 manufacturing date.

"Sometimes you get more than you bargained for. Beware of unusual parts... in the Twilight Zone!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 37.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
£ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 249.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuukka.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc95-failing-5v-voltage-regulator?tu=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.