WPC89 J110 header pins missing

By adamtoth

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I have a Gilligan's Island that I just acquired. When I opened the backbox, all the connectors at the power driver board were unplugged. I've been looking over the schematics and slowly plugging the connectors to the right spots. When I got to a connector that according to the schematic was supposed to plug into J110 on the power driver board, I noticed that the header pins at J110 were missing and the holes filled with solder.

I have no idea if this was factory, or a later hack, but upon searching for WPC89 driver board images, I am finding many pictures online that also show J110 header pins removed.

Does anyone have a G.I. that can tell me if those pins are actually used? Or anyone have any idea why those would have been removed?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from adamtoth:

Does anyone have a G.I. that can tell me if those pins are actually used? Or anyone have any idea why those would have been removed?

Earlier WPC games required connection at J110 for the flippers, and later games the flipper relay was removed along with J110 and some other components.

Sounds like the wrong driver board is in there. I don't have a Gilligans, I think you have a -3 board in there instead of a -1. Probably should wait to have someone confirm this.

A-12697-1 (5763-12405-00): the driver board used from Funhouse to the middle production of Twilight Zone. It has a flipper enable relay on the board. Can be used on all WPC games from Funhouse to WhoDunnit (the most versatile non-WPC95 driver board, can be used in any WPC-89 or WPC-S game). On Fliptronic games (Addams Family and later), the flipper relay is ignored by the game's software.

A-12697-3: Used starting mid-production of Twilight Zone. The flipper enable relay is not installed (since these games have Fliptronics boards, and no long need the relay). Can be used on Addams Family to WhoDunnit. Can *not* be used on Funhouse to Hurricane because of the lack of the flipper relay, which is needed in non-fliptronic games (games prior to Addams Family).

#3 7 years ago

Gilligan's Island is NON fliptronic. I'm fairly sure wayout440 is correct. You can also check the serial number stickers on the boards to see if they do or do not match. Odds are good that this board's number is different.

#4 7 years ago

You can populate the board with the missing components:

http://blog.myhomegameroom.com/?p=220

#5 7 years ago

Indeed it is a -3 board instead of a -1. Thanks for the links and the info! Makes a lot of sense now. I'm going to try and convert it to a -1 with the parts list from the link.

#6 7 years ago

Or just buy a -1 and keep the -3 as a spare for a future project or sell it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc89-j110-header-pins-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.