New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274385)

WPC89 Corrosion Question

By pincity

84 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by pincity
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Upper (resized).jpg
Lower (resized).JPG

#1 84 days ago

Hey all,

Picked up a FH - the game is running and working currently. The previous owner at least put a remote battery holder on it but it looks like the batteries leaked at some time. I plan to install NVRAM so I never have to deal with batteries again.

I marked the area I plan to address under the batteries with a red rectangle... a couple areas I was unsure of have a question mark too [?].

Do any other areas need to be addressed?

Thanks!

Lower (resized).JPGUpper (resized).jpg
#2 84 days ago

This is odd. Its a discoloration of the epoxy overlay layer, but I don't see ANY oxidation or corrosion of the exposed components or solder pads ANYWHERE in the photos. I am not sure what you'd do to look further, but it doesn't seem to need anything.

Does it power up and run normally? No error codes?

#3 84 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

This is odd. Its a discoloration of the epoxy overlay layer, but I don't see ANY oxidation or corrosion of the exposed components or solder pads ANYWHERE in the photos. I am not sure what you'd do to look further, but it doesn't seem to need anything.
Does it power up and run normally? No error codes?

Thanks Mark. You bring up a good point, I didn’t see any of the normal corrosion on any solder joints but seeing the discoloration under the batteries I guess just assumed it was corrosion there under the solder mask. My plan on that area was to sand off the mask, neutralize and seal with lacquer. If that’s not actually corrosion though, that would be a plus, lol.

Seems to run fine - no issues that I’m aware of!

#4 84 days ago

Board looks fine to me. I don't think you need to do anything.

#5 84 days ago

That’s great news, thank you guys. Next stop: NVRAM and play the heck out of it.

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside