• Latest reply 7 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160517_201608_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

So I had my WMS IJ completely torn apart (playfield removed all connections in the backbox removed) to do all new decals. Finally got it put back together and fired it up......no display, no sound, idol just spins and a few various lights on.....that was it.

Narrowed my troubleshooting down to the CPU board. When I turned it on LED's D19 & D20 are off and D21 is lit. So I have power but the CPU is not booting. Unplugged everything but the power (J210)....better, D19 lights for a few seconds and then goes off as D20 starts blinking (D21 remains on). Looks like a proper boot sequence.

Plug the "power/driver" ribbon cable in (J211) and fire up....still good. Plug in J202 (I/O Sound ribbon)....still good, plug in J201 (I/O Extended)......no go. I do power off and back on for each test.

I noticed when I unpluged J201 leaving J202 still connected that it would NOT boot. So, if I plugged in one of the top ribbon cables (either one) it still booted. As soon as I plugged in the other it will not boot and won't boot properly until I unplug both.

I'm thinking it's the TTL circuits just below the top ribbons.....U1-U3. But is it all three? Do I need to replace or just reflow? Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Chances are something is plugged in wrong. Why would the cpu suddenly blow? Go back make sure you have all the connectors on correctly, maybe you missed a pin...happens all the time.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Chances are something is plugged in wrong.

Agree. Ensure that each ribbon has red stripe on the pin 1 side of the connector.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 7 years ago

I've triple checked this possability. It boots correctly until I plug in the top ribbons....then it does not boot at all. I've (carefully) run this test several times.

#5 7 years ago

If it was me I would take the CPU in the STTNG and put it in IJ and test...it's the same gen as the IJ. If it boots then you know it's an IC on the CPU.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

If it was me I would take the CPU in the STTNG and put it in IJ and test...it's the same gen as the IJ. If it boots then you know it's an IC on the CPU.

???

IJ boots....until I connect the top ribbon cables....which is why I'm thinking it's the TTL Circuits U1-U3. Really If I want to test the game GPU shouldn't I stick IJ into STTNG? I really don't think it's the game GPU though....since it boots without the top ribbons attached. If it was bad it should never boot.

#7 7 years ago

Do both. Put the suspected failed IJ MPU board in STTNG and see what it does as well as put the STTNG MPU in IJ.

If IJ still fails after swapping the MPU, it likely is a ribbon cable. Even reseating all the connections that these 2 ribbon cables go to sometime even clears up boot up issues assuming the MPU is not the issue.

#8 7 years ago

Sometimes the ribbon cable from the mpu board to the small upper right board gets a twist and ends up installed incorrectly and causes the problems you describe.
Ensure the ribbon cables have the red-stripe installed on pin 1 on each board. (like Chris suggested).
Do this before swapping mpu boards, might save you some time and money.

You can take a photo of your boardset, maybe some close-ups too.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

???
IJ boots....until I connect the top ribbon cables....which is why I'm thinking it's the TTL Circuits U1-U3. Really If I want to test the game GPU shouldn't I stick IJ into STTNG? I really don't think it's the game GPU though....since it boots without the top ribbons attached. If it was bad it should never boot.

OK, either way 4 ppl are telling you what to check. You've got 2 identical board sets to help you troubleshoot. Swap them around and lock down the issue. Btw, swap the cables with the boards, mark the cables so you can tell which ribbon cable belongs to IJ.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

Ensure the ribbon cables have the red-stripe installed on pin 1 on each board. (like Chris suggested).

This has been double checked on all ribbon cables. I'll try swapping the boards.

#11 7 years ago

I swapped the boards. STTNG did not boot in IJ and IJ did boot in STTNG.....so my first thought was "bad ribbon cable/s".

Swapped the two top ribbon cables from STTNG into IJ.......nope.....damn! It appears to be an issue with J202, which is the ribbon cable that plugs into four separate boards. So now I need to find which connection is the weak link.....but then what?

#12 7 years ago

You can try unplugging one connector to each of the other boards one at a time that plugs into the same ribbon cable.

I had repaired a DMD controller board not long ago that caused boot up issues.
An IC was shorted causing problems on the data lines.

#13 7 years ago

Can you describe in detail what you did? Because something is not lining up, because one of the two boards should have booted in one of the games. I mean the only way for this scenario to happen is to have 2 separate issues. one with the MPU board then another issue with the remaining boards in the IJ. I've read that sometimes the DMD controller will keep the game from booting but why didn't the IJ board boot in the STTNG?

#14 7 years ago

The IJ board did boot in STTNG.

Here's where I'm at. Plugged J202 into the CPU board and the fliptronic board....check. Added the sound board, check. Added the display board, no boot.

#15 7 years ago

Now I'm really confused. Swapped the display board out of STTNG and still no boot? If I unplug J601 (the top ribbon cable) from the display board it then shows a proper boot sequence on the CPU board. Plug in J601 on the display board and D19 and D21 light and stay lit. D20 never lights (or blinks). Scratches head.

#16 7 years ago

Ok now it's time to look at the DMD itself. Look at the power connector and cables..swap them out if you have to.

#17 7 years ago

Can you confirm the rom is good on the mpu? Did you swap rom when you swapped mpu's?

#18 7 years ago

Please measure and report the DC voltage across the blue capacitor on the MPU board.

#19 7 years ago

Stupid is as stupid does.....

J606 (the power to the display board) the cable was completely missing! Found it sitting off to the side (connected to cables that are no longer used becasue of the color DMD).

So I seperated it and plugged it back in an wah lah!.....back in business.....well almost. Fired up a game and everything appeared fine until I hit the flipper switches......nothing dead. They show up in test mode but do nothing in a game. So now I get to figure that out.

#20 7 years ago

Erased....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Fired up a game and everything appeared fine until I hit the flipper switches......nothing dead. They show up in test mode but do nothing in a game. So now I get to figure that out.

Make sure you have everything connected on every board.
Snap a picture of the boards with power on if you are still having trouble.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So I seperated it and plugged it back in an wah lah!.....back in business

Ha! Go figure...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#23 7 years ago

Being you unplugged a ColorDMD, do you have connected J116, J117, J118, J119 in the bottom left corner of the driver board?

Also make sure you didn't accidentally unplug J112 at the top left of the driver board.

#24 7 years ago

Back to 100%. Another power cable issue with the flippers easily fixed.

20160517_201608_(resized).jpg20160517_201608_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 1,419.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc89-confirm-issue-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.