3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EStroh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5670D (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have an odd problem.

The story:
    I removed a Rottendog MPU from my working White Water to install an NVRAM. Upon re-installation and power up I get the D19 blanking and D21 5V LED's both solidly on. No flashing D20 - not even once. It will boot if I pull BOTH ribbon cables off the digital display board (not just one). So maybe the digital display board has a new issue? nope. I swapped that with one from my Black Rose and nothing changes. Maybe something on the MPU then? nope. I swapped the MPU from my WPC Dr Dude and nothing changes (and yes, I transferred the Dr Dude and WH20 ROM chips). I even removed the NVRAM and put it back the way it was. Still no-go.

So it's not the MPU itself, and not the display board itself. But when I disconnect the two from each other the D20 blanking LED now blinks away and D21 is solid for 5v. No light on D19. It all looks good. I DO get the single "bong" tone on startup.

Any ideas?

IMG_5670D (resized).jpgIMG_5670D (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Can you try swapping the actual ribbon cables? Also make sure they are all installed with the proper polarity / red stripe on pin 1 on all boards, etc.

#3 3 years ago

Try swapping the ram back in. I thought I'd read something somewhere about nvram's and RD wpc games but it wasn't pinwiki, so maybe somewhere here.

#4 3 years ago

Might be a jumper change required if the original RAM is 62256. Can you post a picture of the original RAM? Is the NVRAM labeled 6264? There happened to be a glare right where this is labeled.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Can you try swapping the actual ribbon cables? Also make sure they are all installed with the proper polarity / red stripe on pin 1 on all boards, etc.

SOLVED!

The last owner flipped the display board ribbon cable (J201) on both ends. It all worked, up until I installed the MPU and placed that end of the cable correctly (red on pin 1, pictured). The other end was still reversed and I didn't catch it until bobukcat's comment had me look more closely to the cables on each end.

The game wouldn't boot until BOTH ribbons J201 and J202 were installed, and installed correctly. In other words, it wouldn't boot with J201 removed.

Thanks everyone!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-won-t-boot-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.