• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by onlydjz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x9503p (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Ref this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volume-suddenly-at-maximum-wpc-hurricane#post-6866321

It looked like rlbohon3 was able to source the U5 (X9C503) IC in ref. post. I'm working on a game that may need U5 (X9C503) replaced. I'm having trouble finding that IC, but there is a Maxim IC that is available and looks like it may be a compatible replacement (DS1804-050). Does anyone know if the Maxim chip will work as a substitute for the X9C503?

#4 1 year ago

I should have asked this...The problem the customer is having, is as follows:

The game is set to (made up numbers here) volume 10. The volume stays at the set volume the entire time the game is ON. After coming back the next day or whenever, the volume is at 7 (or some other setting). So I was thinking it might be bad memory in the U5 chip.

I looked at Marco and didn't find that, but I didn't think to search on the old part number. Thank you.

#6 1 year ago

If you look at the datasheet, the X9503 has on-chip nv-ram that is used to save the setting. I assumed that's what was used, but I don't really know.

EDIT...
Here's a paragraph from the datasheet:

When the device is powered-down, the last wiper posi-
tion stored will be maintained in the nonvolatile mem-
ory. When power is restored, the contents of the
memory are recalled and the wiper is set to the value
last stored.

#8 1 year ago

There are not a lot of posts about that IC and nothing about the volume changing between power ups. It is the only thing I can think of to try to solve the issue.

#10 1 year ago

I don't think it actually shows a number (WPC owners chime in here). I think it just shows a bar graph level. I was just using the number thing, to describe what was happening.

#11 1 year ago

OK it looks like the volume does have a number -- I found a video on youtube.

If it is not U5 causing the problem, I'm not sure where to go next. Coyote comment makes sense -- there is no obvious way to read the current setting on U5, unless the CPU somehow measures the current volume resistance and puts a number on it when the game starts.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem further.

Thank you.

#14 1 year ago

Robotworkshop Good idea, but this is a friend's game and neither of us have any other WPC games.

PinRetail He said he recently changed the batteries and there are no other issues of lost game settings or errors displayed. But its a great idea and I'll make sure the voltage is >3.5V at D2, and double-check there are no startup errors, and verify one 'bong' at power on. I'll report back with the results.

I appreciate the suggestions...keep the ideas coming

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Personally, every chance I get I'm replacing the ram chips with NVram replacements.

This is a really good idea, which I should do even if it does not solve this problem. I've changed all my games to the RAMTRON (I wish they still made the PDIP version!) and never had a problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-volume-control-ic-u5?tu=KenH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.