(Topic ID: 176645)

WPC Unreg 12V High

By wxforecaster

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

A friend of mine ordered a ColorDMD for his TAF (excellent choice!). It connects to the unregulated 12V power supply via a passthrough connector to J116-117 or 118 on the driver board. I tested the unreg supply at TP1 and it's measuring about 17.5V which seems REALLY high to me. I don't want to risk frying this color DMD. Usually I would expect somewhere in the 13.7-14.2V range for unreg 12V.

I'm not sure that anything even uses that circuit (coin door), so the game plays perfectly otherwise.

Besides C30 and BR5, is there anything else I should check? What is the expected AC voltage coming into BR5?

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Seeing as you're not sure what uses that, you haven't disconnected the load to it anywhere, right?

#3 7 years ago

Check how the transformer is jumpered, make sure it isn't set up for low voltage (105v). Pic of the correct orientation is in this section:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC_5VDC_Power_Derivation_Path

#4 7 years ago

Unregulated power will usually be a bit on the high side because...it's unregulated. It's usually just raw voltage off the transformer.

I'm not sure how ColorDMDs are supposed to be hooked up, but I would assume it would be best to connect it to *regulated* voltage. However, if the instructions say it's ok, there might be a regulator built into the ColorDMD.

#5 7 years ago

Yes, you are connecting it correctly to the Unregulated 12v. Randy once told me up to 18v is ok. The ColorDMD board does have an onboard regulator.

#6 7 years ago

Many machines I had measured 15.4v on the unregulated 12v.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

I'm not sure that anything even uses that circuit (coin door), so the game plays perfectly otherwise.

Cannon motor runs off it, I do believe.

#8 7 years ago

A canon motor on Addams Family. Interesting lol.

#9 7 years ago

Sorry, I was thinking T2 for some dumb reason. Maybe I should not had responded so late last night. haha

TAF has some optos and Thing motor.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Besides C30 and BR5, is there anything else I should check? What is the expected AC voltage coming into BR5?

From Pinwiki. It does not give a voltage range of what could be considered good or bad.

LED7-TP1
    Normally lit. AC voltage is rectified to about 12VDC by BR5 and smoothed by C30 to provide unregulated 12VDC power. This 12VDC power is shown as "+12V Power" on the schematics. It is used to power motors, optos, and other game features that do not require a precise 12VDC. This power is fused by F116.

#11 7 years ago

I do not see an issue with 17.5v using the ColorDMD. You are using the ground braid wire in the backbox as the ground reference?

#12 7 years ago

So, have you checked how the transformer is jumpered?

#13 7 years ago

Install that ColorDMD.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-unreg-12v-high and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.