(Topic ID: 320934)

WPC Transformer - new / sources?

By Arcadedl

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

homepin-wmstx-wiring-colors.pdf (PDF preview)
    thumbnail_WPC Transformer Voltage Testing (resized).jpg
    362657684_6873554242668799_679174327444437665_n (resized).jpg
    1690002649221 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0838 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9620 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0816.gif
    A7B7A01B-E105-4D6E-9F97-70C25F12A382 (resized).jpeg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Hey all,
    Wondering if anyone know if WPC transformers are available anywhere...looking for a nice or new 5610-12835-00 for my T2 project.
    I thought I had read a while back that they were being re-manufactured?
    Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

2-3 days ago someone listed a large number of transformers in one Pinside classified ad.

#3 1 year ago

Weekend crew bump...does anyone have one for sale or aware of a remake effort?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Arcadedl:

Weekend crew bump...does anyone have one for sale or aware of a remake effort?

Supposedly Homepin was going to make some but that rumor has been floating around for a while now. Probably not soon. I need one too.

#5 1 year ago

A post here clears up some of the mystery I think: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-transformer-help#post-7087874

I contacted Homepin back when I was looking for one ( ended up sourcing one from a member) and this was their reply:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Actually we make a lot of the Bally SS transformers and are working right now on a current order of 100 sets for one of our agents.

I have investigated the WPC transformer/s and also had several conversations with our local transformer factory about the best way to build these. There is a small issue in that there are two main types that have different audio supply voltages. It was agreed with the winding factory engineer that it would be best to make a universal transformer that has taps for both the 12 and the 18 volt audio windings to make the replacement truly universal.

Currently we are building huge quantities of mechanisms and parts for our new release pinball machine "This is Spinal Tap Pinball" so we are exceptionally busy. After TAP is actually in production I intend to progress the WPC transformers but this isn't likely to be for at least a few months yet.

Then there will be shipping to our agents so they probably won't be available in your area until the end of this year at a guess.

Hopefully you can find a used one in the meantime or can wait until these are ready.

Regards,

Mike Kalinowski

Homepin Taiwan Company Limited"

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

A post here clears up some of the mystery I think: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-transformer-help#post-7087874
    I contacted Homepin back when I was looking for one ( ended up sourcing one from a member) and this was their reply:
    "Thanks for your enquiry.
    Actually we make a lot of the Bally SS transformers and are working right now on a current order of 100 sets for one of our agents.
    I have investigated the WPC transformer/s and also had several conversations with our local transformer factory about the best way to build these. There is a small issue in that there are two main types that have different audio supply voltages. It was agreed with the winding factory engineer that it would be best to make a universal transformer that has taps for both the 12 and the 18 volt audio windings to make the replacement truly universal.
    Currently we are building huge quantities of mechanisms and parts for our new release pinball machine "This is Spinal Tap Pinball" so we are exceptionally busy. After TAP is actually in production I intend to progress the WPC transformers but this isn't likely to be for at least a few months yet.
    Then there will be shipping to our agents so they probably won't be available in your area until the end of this year at a guess.
    Hopefully you can find a used one in the meantime or can wait until these are ready.
    Regards,
    Mike Kalinowski
    Homepin Taiwan Company Limited"

Thanks I didn’t see that. That’s great news that they intend to produce them still. I’m going to buy like 5 this time!!

#7 1 year ago

Agree, this is very exciting...I need two of them right now.

#8 1 year ago

I'm looking for one as well- I hadn't realized they were so hard to come by. Hoping they get made sooner than later!

6 months later
    #9 1 year ago

In case any of the companies looking to sell HomePin’s hopeful WPC 5610-12835-00 transformer see this thread, I’ll buy two of them. Going all in on a White Water build. If anyone on here is looking to buy one, I’d email [email protected] and let him know how many 5610-12835-00 transformers you’d want so he gets a feel of how many to order. I’m sure he knows, but I don’t want to be competing for a retail item

1 month later
    #10 11 months ago

What Transformer is needed for T2?

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

What Transformer is needed for T2?

5610-12835-00. Email Terry

1 month later
    #12 10 months ago

Re-opening this thread...any word of NOS transformers, or newly manufactured?

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from Arcadedl:

Re-opening this thread...any word of NOS transformers, or newly manufactured?

Did you email Terry?

#14 10 months ago
    A7B7A01B-E105-4D6E-9F97-70C25F12A382 (resized).jpegA7B7A01B-E105-4D6E-9F97-70C25F12A382 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #15 9 months ago

I just submitted a question to Terry about these...has anyone heard whether or not PBL is still scheduled to get them next month?
    Did also see that that Pinballspareparts in AU has them in stock, but shipping to the US is like $200.

#16 9 months ago

Terry said you can buy them from PL now for $349.95, but unlike other retailers that may have them listed for sale already on their website, PL is holding off.

Their rationale:

The size of the transformer is slightly bigger, and the mounting brackets do not line up with any pre-existing holes in WPC or WPC-95 machines.

The wiring harness on the new transformers does not exactly match any existing machine.

In short, PL is making 2 adaptor mounting brackets and 2 adaptor wiring harnesses. Both harnesses are finished. One adapter mounting bracket will be finished next week and the other one will be finished in 6-8 weeks (they did not know about this mounting issue until 2 weeks ago).

They did test the transformers and they work great.

If anything above is a direct quote from Terry, I didn’t give him credit, sorry.

#17 9 months ago

Thanks for the above, still waiting to hear back from Terry on this.
    Are their any other US based Homepin sellers? Looking at their site, it seems like just PBL.

#18 9 months ago
    Quoted from Arcadedl:

Thanks for the above, still waiting to hear back from Terry on this.
    Are their any other US based Homepin sellers? Looking at their site, it seems like just PBL.

There will be a total of 4 different kits to make these transformers plug-n-play for all WPC & WPC-95 era machines.
    Two of the 4 kits will be available this week.
    I will post direct links here when they are up on our website.
    Terry.

#19 9 months ago

I had the WPC/WPC-S transformer reproduced about 15 years ago when I was importing a large number of machines and running into bad conversions that had smoked the transformer. The electric motor/rewind shop that did these for me did an outstanding job, but unfortunately they were sold and the original plan/engineering drawings have been lost. They incorporated an extra lead for the DCS games as well. I wish I had more made.

#20 9 months ago

Like several others, I am stalled on completing my build. I gave up last year trying to find a transformer here or eBay. These new transformers will save my project. As I am starting with a new cabinet, I am not concerned about mounting brackets. I would like to have a compatible wiring harness.

Waiting patiently...

#24 9 months ago

Better order 2…to be on the safe side!

#25 9 months ago

Hi everyone, does someone knows where can I find the transformer and the power supply for the Muhammad Alí Stern pinball machine?

#26 9 months ago

Order Placed!!!

Thank You Terry and Margret!!!

#27 9 months ago

Dear god... a Lines powered transformer... made with China Quality control..
    Yikes.

Glad these are available... I guess; but wouldn't want that fire hazard in my pinball machine.

#28 9 months ago
    IMG_0816.gifIMG_0816.gif
    #30 9 months ago

That was a lightning fast "6-8 weeks", haha. Great job and thank Terry. We really appreciate you offering this product AND are also appreciative of you extensively testing it... for our safety, but more importantly... for our game's safety (games' if you're a lucky bloke, haha)

#31 9 months ago

For the ignorant among us...What is a "Lines powered transformer" and how is it different from what Bally/Williams supplied in WPC pinball machines?

#32 9 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

For the ignorant among us...What is a "Lines powered transformer" and how is it different from what Bally/Williams supplied in WPC pinball machines?

Wiliams WPC era machines used *lines powered transformers*.
    Terry.

#33 9 months ago
    Quoted from MiniPinHead:

That was a lightning fast "6-8 weeks",

The last of the four kits we are making will be ready in 5-6 weeks. This coming kit will work with the WPC-S/WPC-95 machines.
    Terry.

#34 9 months ago

In WPC machines (WPC-89 is being used as an example below):

• The primary winding is protected by the power box fuse (8A for 115V and 5A for 230V).
    • The secondary windings are protected by the fuses on the boards that consume the winding.

• +5V Logic = F113.
      • +18V Lamp Matrix = F114.
      • Flasher = F111.
      • Solenoid = F112.
      • +12V (power = +12VU) = F116.
      • GI = F106-F110.
      • Audio = F501,F502.
      • Display = F601,F602.

Having said that, I have seen a machine where the secondary winding insultation from the transformer to J101 was melted. The fuse is supposed to blow before there is enough heat to melt the insulation but the Molex connector at the transformer side of the secondary was tarnished and the current flow was below the fuse threshold. This generated heat but did not blow the fuse. Consequently, the insulation melted.

#35 9 months ago

I already ordered mine. Can't wait to eventually light a new cabinet and NOS Addams Family Playfield on fire.

#36 9 months ago

What's the life expectancy of the original transformers? Assuming you have a 30 year old game and the transfomer is in good condition and doesn't get hacked or rat pooped or anything, will it go another 30 years?? My guess is it would. Just wondering if I should keep one of these as a spare or if that would be excessive.

#37 9 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

.What is a "Lines powered transformer" and how is it different from what Bally/Williams supplied in WPC pinball machines?

There isn't a difference.
    Lines powered means 120 or 220 vac connected directly to the ac outlet.
    This means a shorted primary winding can draw up to 15amps at 120vac.

Not really knocking Terry's product... Just concerned about the lack of quality control straight out of China. There are well documented cases of corner cutting which results is a catastrophic failure... That said, nothing specific about these transformers, yet.

#38 9 months ago

Zitt was right. The QC is simply OK. Guess I was hoping for Amazing or Excellent.

IMG_9620 (resized).jpegIMG_9620 (resized).jpeg
    #39 9 months ago

I can guess 03 23 means it was made March 2023. Mine is in shipping mode.

#40 9 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

There isn't a difference.
    Lines powered means 120 or 220 vac connected directly to the ac outlet.
    This means a shorted primary winding can draw up to 15amps at 120vac.
    Not really knocking Terry's product... Just concerned about the lack of quality control straight out of China. There are well documented cases of corner cutting which results is a catastrophic failure... That said, nothing specific about these transformers, yet.

As others have pointed out the primary side should be fused for 5A or 8A at the power box. So 15A would only be possible if you wired it directly to the mains voltage or the fuse is not the correct value.

Also Taiwan is not China.

#41 9 months ago
    Quoted from Planet866:

Also Taiwan is not China.

Depends if you’re talking to a commie or not

But indeed, made in Taiwan:

Not ChinaNot China

Terry’s mounting plate fits perfectly. If it doesn’t for you, you’re trying to install it sideways Nope, nope, didn’t happen to me…

Mounting Plate OrientationMounting Plate Orientation

And like a boss, Terry includes the hardware for the cabinet and transformer. Thank you again Terry!

#42 9 months ago

HomePin added dimensions for those building new cabinets.

1690002649221 (resized).jpg1690002649221 (resized).jpg
    #43 9 months ago

Good news. My new pinball transformer just showed up from Taiwan. I made sure all my cabinet wires fit all the transformer plugs too. This is for my WPC89 Dr Who Build. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1992-doctor-who-restoration-build

362657684_6873554242668799_679174327444437665_n (resized).jpg362657684_6873554242668799_679174327444437665_n (resized).jpg
    #44 9 months ago

If anyone needs a wire set from J115 power board to the 9 pin plug with yellow and green wires for a WPC89 game, I have an extra. PM me.

#45 8 months ago

Can someone advise me how to put my meter leads on the output wires of the transformer to measure voltages. I assume to have meter set to D.C. Volts. I am testing it on a table not in machine.

#46 8 months ago

Transformers do not work with DC voltages.
    You need to set of AC voltage.

#47 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

Can someone advise me how to put my meter leads on the output wires of the transformer to measure voltages.

https://iobium.com/wpc_transformers.htm

#48 8 months ago

I reached out to Pinball Life and got a great answer from Justin. Yes, I needed to have the meter on AC volts. The colors of wires coming out of the transformer mostly do not match the colors in the schematic manual. You actually need to map the colors from the existing Pinball harness that goes to the back box, to the colors on the plugs from the transformer. Then you can look at the pairs of wires that need to be measured from the transformer. The good news is that all the voltages measured were all a little over expected values. I am thinking about starting a new post about that mapping of the colors 4 plug wires. I am sure many will just plug it in and not care that the colors do not match, as long as it works.

#49 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

I reached out to Pinball Life and got a great answer from Justin. Yes, I needed to have the meter on AC volts. The colors of wires coming out of the transformer mostly do not match the colors in the schematic manual. You actually need to map the colors from the existing Pinball harness that goes to the back box, to the colors on the plugs from the transformer. Then you can look at the pairs of wires that need to be measured from the transformer. The good news is that all the voltages measured were all a little over expected values. I am thinking about starting a new post about that mapping of the colors 4 plug wires. I am sure many will just plug it in and not care that the colors do not match, as long as it works.

Definitely interested in your findings

#50 8 months ago

This is the color wire matching and voltages on the Homepin Transformer WPC89. (5610-12835-00). See picture attached from Justin and Pinball life.
    Plug A: (2 pin)
    x2 Violet wires on Transformer and Cabinet Harness. DMD - 107.7 VAC. To J605-3 and J605-5. Fuse F602.

Plug B: (9 pin)
    1. Green/Yellow on Transformer to x2 White/Brown on Cabinet Harness. To J115-2 and J115-3.
    3. Yellow on Transformer to x2 Brown on Cabinet Harness. To J115-11 and J115-12.
    4. Green/Yellow on Transformer to White/Orange on Cabinet Harness. G.I. - 7.4 VAC. To J115-4.
    5. Yellow on Transformer to Yellow/White on Cabinet Harness. To J115-1. Ground.
    6. Yellow on Transformer to Green on Cabinet Harness. G.I. - 7.4 VAC. To J115-10.
    7. Green/Yellow on Transformer to x2 White/Yellow on Cabinet Harness. To J115-5 and J115-6
    9. Yellow on Transformer to x2 Orange on Cabinet Harness. To J115-7 and J115-8.

Plug C: (15 pin)
    1. Red on Transformer to Red on Cabinet Harness. 5V Reg. - 9.4 VAC. To J101-1. Fuse 113
    2. Red on Transformer to Red on Cabinet Harness. 5V Reg. - 9.4 VAC. To J101-2.
    3. Brown on Transformer to White/Red on Cabinet Harness. 5V Reg. - 9.4 VAC. To J101-1.
    4. Brown on Transformer to White/Red on Cabinet Harness. Flash Lamp - 16.6 VAC. To J102-1 and J102-2.
    5. White on Transformer to White on Cabinet Harness. DMD - 85.4 VAC. To J605-1. Fuse 601.
    6. Red on Transformer to Gray on Cabinet Harness. Sound - 19.2 VAC. To J501-4 and J501-5. Fuse 502.
    7. Black on Transformer to Black/Yellow on Cabinet Harness. Coils - 54.8 VAC. To J102-8 and J102-9. Fuse 112.
    8. White on Transformer to White on Cabinet Harness. DMD - 85.4 VAC. To J605-2.
    9. Black on Transformer to Gray/White on Cabinet Harness. Sound - 19.2 VAC. To J501-6 and J501-7.
    10. Black on Transformer to Black/Yellow on Cabinet Harness. Coils - 54.8 VAC. To J102-5 and J102-6.
    11. Green on transformer to White/Green on Cabinet Harness. 9.8 VAC. To J112-4 and J112-5. Fuse 116
    12. Orange on Transformer to Gray/Green on Cabinet Harness. Sound - 19.4 VAC. To J501-1 and J501-2. Fuse 501.
    13. Green on transformer to White/Green on Cabinet Harness. 9.8 VAC. To J112-1 and J112-3.
    14. Blue on transformer to Blue/White on Cabinet Harness. 12V Reg. - 13.4 VAC. To J101-4 and J101-5. Fuse 114.
    15. Blue on transformer to Blue/White on Cabinet Harness. 12V Reg. - 13.4 VAC. To J101-6 and J101-7.

Plug D: (12 pin)
    1. Black on Transformer to Black on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 1 Black wire from Power Switch Box. (121.5 VAC line voltage).
    2. Black on Transformer to Brown/White on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 2 Black Loop wire.
    3. Red on Transformer to Brown/White on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 3 Black Loop wire.
    5. White on transformer to nothing (probably for a 220V).
    6. White on transformer to nothing (probably for a 220V).
    7. Gray on transformer to nothing (probably for a 220V).
    9. Blue on Transformer to White/Red on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 7 White wire from Power Switch Box. (121.5 VAC line voltage).
    10. Blue on Transformer to Red on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 8 Orange Loop wire.
    11. Orange on Transformer to Red on Adapter wire to (9 pin plug) 9 Orange Loop wire.

Plug E: (6 pin)
    1. Grey on Transformer to Orange Loop 18V Plug.
    2. Red from Plug C 10 to Orange Loop 18V Plug and Grey 1 wire above.
    3. White on transformer to nothing (probably for a 12V plug).
    4. Grey on Transformer to Orange Loop 18V Plug.
    5. Orange from Plug C 2 to Orange Loop 18V Plug and Grey 4 wire above.
    6. White on transformer to nothing (probably for a 12V plug).

thumbnail_WPC Transformer Voltage Testing (resized).jpgthumbnail_WPC Transformer Voltage Testing (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-transformer-new-sources?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.