2022022695230053 (resized).jpg
2022022695230008 (resized).jpg
2022022795165239 (resized).jpg
11605 (resized).jpg
2022022795161435 (resized).jpg
2022022795161355 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I have a Demo man.

Manual says this game should have a 5610-13953-00 WPC Transformer...it has a 5610-12835-00 (early generation I believe)

Manual says this game should have an A-17540 Power Interface Box .. it has an A-15707 (again I believe early version)

1) Inside my power box is a Thermistor but no Varistor (MOV). Looks like it used to have a MOV but was cut out. In my Demo Man manual I see no Varistor in the A-17540 Power Box. Do I need to install one in this A-15707 and if so anybody have a part # ?

2) I'm trying to re-pin the connectors from my power box to my transformer. I had some crimp connectors from a random bag ( I didn't buy them) which I thought were .093" but once I installed them (3 in pic) in the molex connector they are very loose, don't line up and the force of trying to put the 2 connector ends together actually pushed the wire/crimp back out of the connector. What crimps should I be using?

3) What gauge is the transformer and power box wiring? I thought it was 18ga but I used some and it seems small compared to the original wiring.

4) My wiring was all hacked. Think it was a re-import. What is the correct pin layout (USA 120v) of the wires coming from the transform to the connector that plugs to the power box. Pic below from pinwiki shows 1-9 layout for powerbox side. I labeled them 1-9 left to right in my trans pic. Manual shows the schematic below. I guess i'm just a bit confused as it shows wires being connected from the trans (2 blacks, 2 wht/brn, 2 wht/org). So does this mean I could put wire #1 (my trans pic) into plug position #2 (pinwiki pic) and it wouldn't matter? I don't know if far left blk wire on my trans would be called #1 in schematic essentially.

Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks

2022022795161355 (resized).jpg2022022795161355 (resized).jpg2022022795161435 (resized).jpg2022022795161435 (resized).jpg11605 (resized).jpg11605 (resized).jpg2022022795165239 (resized).jpg2022022795165239 (resized).jpg2022022695230008 (resized).jpg2022022695230008 (resized).jpg2022022695230053 (resized).jpg2022022695230053 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

First, the numbering of the wires coming from your transformer may NOT be in numerical order, nice and neatly from 1 to 9 as you have indicated.

Use the wire colours as your guide NOT their physical position on the transformer.

The MOV is a standard part BUT it does differ between 220V and 110V countries. Possibly why the original was chopped out in the first place? Suitable 110V type available here:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

MOV (resized).pngMOV (resized).png

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

First, the numbering of the wires coming from your transformer may NOT be in numerical order, nice and neatly from 1 to 9 as you have indicated.

Use the wire colours as your guide NOT their physical position on the transformer.

Correct, my confusion is more about the wires they double up on and schematic shows them being connected...for example which black wire of the 2 goes into position #1 on the connector...or it doesn't matter???

2022022695230008aaaa (resized).jpg2022022695230008aaaa (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Correct, it doesn't matter as they are internally connected (inside the transformer).

2 x white/orange internally connected

2 x white/brown internally connected

2 x black internally connected

The other three (white/black, brown & orange) are single connections so take care where they go.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

game should have a 5610-13953-00 WPC Transformer...it has a 5610-12835-00

You can not use the 5610-12835-00 transformer with a DCS soundboard.

#6 2 years ago

Something I found online and saved a while back:

5610-12835-00 xfmr-wpc 3 115/230v (18VAC sound) BR, BSD, BoP, CftBL, DW, FH, FT, GI, HD, HS2, Hot_Shots_Basketball, Hurricane, PZ, Slugfest_92, T2, TAF, TAFG, TZ, WH2O

5610-13491-00 xfmr-wpc power (12VAC sound) IJ, JD, Pinball_Circus, Popeye, STTNG
5610-13953-00 xfmr-wpc 94 (female line input) Corvette, DH, DM, FS, RS, Shadow, WCS

5610-14515-00 xfmer-wpc wide mount AFM, Congo, I500, JB, JM, NF, SC, SS, ToM, TotAN, WD

5610-14515-01 xfmer-wpc wide mount AFM, CC, CP, CV, Congo, I500, JB, JM, JY, MB, MM, NBA, NF, NGG, SC, SS, ToM, TotAN, WD

5610-15930-00 transformer p2000 RFM
5610-15930-01 transformer p2000 SWE1

ScreenHunter_011 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_011 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone...funny you should bring this up as yesterday when I powered this game on (before trying to sort out the in line and trans connector both my TDA2030A's cracked and went up in a poof of smoke!

So where to go from here... should I look for the correct transformer or is the older style sound board compatible with my current set up, and also what is actually compatible in my current set-up? ...which is as follows:

These 3 correct for WPC89 era
-Trans: 5610-12835-00
-Power Box: A-15707
-CPU: A-12742-20013

Not Sure what these 2 are as tag fell off
-Dot Matrix Board: I believe its an A-14039 (see pic below) ....seems to be used in all pre wpc-95 games???
-Fliptronic Board: not sure which generation I have. A-15472 or A-15472-1 ( see pic below)

These 3 correct for Demo man-
-Sound Board: A-16917-50028
-Driver: A-12697-3
-Aux Diver: A-16100-2

2022022895102802 (resized).jpg2022022895102802 (resized).jpg2022022895102852 (resized).jpg2022022895102852 (resized).jpg2022022895103726 (resized).jpg2022022895103726 (resized).jpg2022022895103750 (resized).jpg2022022895103750 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

Those boards should be OK - the problem is with the audio board. From the Iobium site (and I suggest you read that site and study up on all the variables):

"Transformer Substitutions
The conclusion I am reaching is that all transformers after the first one (i.e. all DCS transformers) are interchangeable, but might need custom mounting brackets and a new primary connector or a connector adapter.

A DCS transformer can safely be used in a a non-DCS game, but at the cost of lower sound amplifier headroom - distortion at higher listening levels. The earlier games may also have power requirements that are a bit greater than that of newer games (larger transformer) so existing power problems could become worse.

A non-DCS transformer can be used in a DCS game, but will overdrive the amplifier supply, delivering approximately 50V to the TDA2030, which is only rated at 36V. This part gets 36V under 120VAC line input, so it is at the edge to start with. The TDA2030A is rated at 44V, and may withstand the abuse a little better. But don't be surprised if you end up rebuilding your sound output circuits if you try to adapt a non-DCS transformer into a DCS game. The 78L05 regulators used on DCS games to power the analog circuitry should be OK. They are rated for 35V operation (they see 25V in this circuit) and the op-amps and analog output that they power are low-power devices. "

#10 2 years ago

I read the link above, sounds like basically I need to get the correct transformer and abandon this 5610-12835-00 one so I'm not constantly in danger of damaging my sound board..

That said my boards should be "ok" doesn't really put me at ease. Have you used this combination before or is there documentation somewhere? thanks

#11 2 years ago

That said my boards should be "ok" doesn't really put me at ease. Have you used this combination before or is there documentation somewhere? thanks

No I haven't but there are no different part numbers for these boards so I am assuming they are the same across all WPC era machines.

The ONLY difference is the voltage supplied to the audio board so THAT is the ONLY board that is affected by different transformers.

#12 2 years ago

hmmm...maybe we are looking at different information but I've seen at least 3 different CPU part numbers, 3 different driver, 2 different sound boards, 2 different dot matrix boards etc.

Pinwiki -WPC section lists all the different variations

#13 2 years ago

Thanks for the learning on WPC Transformers and audio board voltages. I wonder if that is why I had to not use one cable from the powerboard to the Pinsound audio board.

#14 2 years ago

hmmm...maybe we are looking at different information but I've seen at least 3 different CPU part numbers, 3 different driver, 2 different sound boards, 2 different dot matrix boards etc.
Pinwiki -WPC section lists all the different variations

Yes, but the revisions on those boards are for minor changes to various things NOT to the voltage supplied to them.

The ONLY board where the voltage changed was the audio board.

#15 2 years ago

Here's an idea....is there a safe/reliable way to use the existing transformer I have and put something in the circuit/ in-line to step down the voltage from the winding that powers the sound board. I think its 18 volts and needs to be 12.

#16 2 years ago

Here's an idea....is there a safe/reliable way to use the existing transformer I have and put something in the circuit/ in-line to step down the voltage from the winding that powers the sound board. I think its 18 volts and needs to be 12.

Use a 12v power supply plugged into the service outlet.

#17 2 years ago

Yes, but any electronic stepdown also needs to be at at least 3 amps and that is a bit of a problem.

You could also use a small transformer to convert the 18V to 12V +&- but this will get messy very quickly.

I am told via a reliable source that Homepin intends to make these transformers in the near future. They currently make a replacement for the SS Bally machines. Just when is anyone's guess - you could reach out to them and ask I guess?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Use a 12v power supply plugged into the service outlet.

That would work BUT you would need 2 x 12V power supplies because the audio board needs + & - 12V and they would need to be at least 2 or 3 amp supplies

#19 2 years ago

You have two threads on the same topic. Not sure why.

You can use a supplemental transformer. A possible compatible product is (BEL) Signal Transformer DP-241-8-24 (115/230 primary) or 241-8-24 (115 primary).

You can connect this into the system in an invasive or non-invasive manner. That is your choice. Personally, I always choose a non-invasive solution if one is available.

• Tap the line power after the cabinet switch for the primary winding.
  • Substitute the GRY/GRY-WHT/GRY-GRN wires from the original secondary winding to the substitute secondary winding.

Pay close attention to the end and center tap as if you get these incorrect you will supply incorrect voltages and probably blow components on the DCS board. You can verify all the voltages before connecting J4 on the DCS board.

transformer_secondary_audio.jpgtransformer_secondary_audio.jpg

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

You could also use a small transformer to convert the 18V to 12V +&- but this will get messy very quickly.

What do you mean by "messy"?

Quoted from DumbAss:

You can use a supplemental transformer. A possible compatible product is (BEL) Signal Transformer DP-241-8-24 (115/230 primary) or 241-8-24 (115 primary).

These are both 4A output, is this satisfactory? I have no idea what oem ones are
and you said "possible compatible" ...how would I confirm or what do I need to look into?

Quoted from DumbAss:

I always choose a non-invasive solution if one is available.

I'm assuming you mean using new connectors to make it neat instead of just hacking into wires?

Quoted from DumbAss:

You have two threads on the same topic. Not sure why.

They both started out as different things but I asked the same question in both hoping for more input/response

Thanks for all the direction/help guys....never done this before

#21 2 years ago

What do you mean by "messy"?

I can't speak for pins4u but I would assume it will get messy because you'll have to route either the two 18VAC or the single 36VAC secondary outputs to a special transformer with the correct ratio to step down either 18VAC to 12VAC or 36VAC to 24VAC with a center tap. The next owner of the machine may look at the wires and get confused.

These are both 4A output, is this satisfactory? I have no idea what oem ones are
and you said "possible compatible" ...how would I confirm or what do I need to look into?

Well ... considering the DCS board has a 3A SB fuse in it then I would assume 4A is sufficient. The next output level down is (I believe) 2.4A so that might work but it's below the 3A fuse rating so it may not provide enough "juice" when needed. I say it's "possibly compatible" that's due to the fact that I have not tried it in a physical (real) machine. I use a small version of this transformer on my bench and it works on my bench. I only drive a 2" 8 Ohm speak on my bench - hence why the "possible".

I'm assuming you mean using new connectors to make it neat instead of just hacking into wires?

There are many ways to wire it in. You can run wire from the secondary through the cabinet bundle up to the board or you can connect into the already present wire in the bundle. Using the existing wire in the bundle saves you having to run separate wire but you will have to alter the connectors. When you alter the connector you should probably document what you've done so the next owner won't get confused or will have an idea of what the modification is trying to accomplish.

#22 2 years ago

OR buy the right transformer for the game and sell the wrong one. OR even trade it. I see alot of things going wrong now and in the future trying to modify and tying into wires and changing connectors, etc. But that is just me. I waited 6 months for the right transformer to come along. Then I posted a Wanted Ad here and got two offers.

Transformer0 (resized).jpgTransformer0 (resized).jpg
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

OR buy the right transformer for the game and sell the wrong one. OR even trade it. I see alot of things going wrong now and in the future trying to modify and tying into wires and changing connectors, etc. But that is just me. I waited 6 months for the right transformer to come along. Then I posted a Wanted Ad here and got two offers.

Agree that the correct transformer is the way to go but sometimes transformers can be difficult to acquire. It can take some time. The DCS transformers are used in a handful of machines. The pre-DCS transformers are used in many more machines. Used in more machines typically means more likely (easier) to find.

• 5610-12835-00 used in 19 machines with high total production quantity.
  • 5610-13953-00 used in 7 machines with low total production quantity.

Creative, alternative solutions can get a game running in the meantime.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

OR buy the right transformer for the game

That would be my preference of course...help me find one!!!! I'm fairly patient but I guess all this info gathering is in case it doesn't pan out. I even called Todd at TNT...no dice

#25 2 years ago

That would be my preference of course...help me find one!!!! I'm fairly patient but I guess all this info gathering is in case it doesn't pan out. I even called Todd at TNT...no dice

Well, it all depends on HOW patient you are. Like I mentioned, Homepin is said to be making a universal one that will replace both types but I have no concrete knowledge of this.

As Pinball Life sells the Bally replacement transformer that Homepin makes, I would be inclined to call them and ask?

#26 2 years ago

yeah I sent an email to their contact yesterday, waiting a response!

5 months later
#27 1 year ago

Where Can I find a WPC Transformer? Missing completely.

#28 1 year ago

Welp...there is good news in the works! I contacted Homepin back when I was looking for one ( ended up sourcing one from a member) and this was their reply:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Actually we make a lot of the Bally SS transformers and are working right now on a current order of 100 sets for one of our agents.

I have investigated the WPC transformer/s and also had several conversations with our local transformer factory about the best way to build these. There is a small issue in that there are two main types that have different audio supply voltages. It was agreed with the winding factory engineer that it would be best to make a universal transformer that has taps for both the 12 and the 18 volt audio windings to make the replacement truly universal.

Currently we are building huge quantities of mechanisms and parts for our new release pinball machine "This is Spinal Tap Pinball" so we are exceptionally busy. After TAP is actually in production I intend to progress the WPC transformers but this isn't likely to be for at least a few months yet.

Then there will be shipping to our agents so they probably won't be available in your area until the end of this year at a guess.

Hopefully you can find a used one in the meantime or can wait until these are ready.

Regards,

Mike Kalinowski

Homepin Taiwan Company Limited"

#29 1 year ago

Just use a pinsound Dmdlux board.....problem solved.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

That is what I did. And am happy with the result, 6 months later.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

Please explain? Your saying this negates the need for a transformer? I'm assuming not obviously but G666 says he's missing it completely.

Or your saying this is an audio board combo set up and you don't need to worry about which transformer you have as the voltage (18 or 12) will work with this pinsound?

I went on the website and read about the product but I'm a bit confused

#32 1 year ago

So Homepin Transformer and use a Pinsound DMD Driver board?

#33 1 year ago

The Dmd lux board will handle both voltages and will work with all Wpc era machines. Just built my Attack from Mars with a wpc89 transformer this way and it's perfect.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

The Dmd lux board will handle both voltages and will work with all Wpc era machines. Just built my Attack from Mars with a wpc89 transformer this way and it's perfect.

I'm still confused. Is this Pinsound board a dmd controller (which the name implies) or sound board? ...Or both?

Quoted from Gorgar666:

So Homepin Transformer and use a Pinsound DMD Driver board?

If your only missing a transformer then you would only need the homepin trans....if and when it is made that is

#35 1 year ago

Maybe wait for a transformer then.

4 months later
#36 1 year ago

did you find ? i have for one that i would like to trade for a wpc95 one, i keep it in case i don't find..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-transformer-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.