Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bssbllr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00678 (resized).JPG
    DSC00677 (resized).JPG
    DSC00676 (resized).JPG
    DSC00675 (resized).JPG
    DSC00674 (resized).JPG
    988A94C3-09BD-4BD6-9045-5079ABDD182D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinless.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’m in the process of “restoring” my STTNG and decided to try my hand at cleaning up and painting the transformer.

It looked easy enough, but of course I ran into a roadblock. 1 of the bolts is stuck. I’ve tried to persuade it to come out with a hammer and punch, but it won’t budge. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Is it the varnish that has it frozen? If so, is there a way to loosen it up?

Thanks for and help in advance.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

are you good at using heat ? or a pair of vise grips

I tried using a pair of vise grips to no avail. I haven’t resorted to heat yet. These things seem to be unobtainium, so I’m trying to be very careful with it.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

and twist do not push down on fastener as it could push the t-nut through the other side.
    should be easy to do.

It’s actually the the long skinny bolt that attaches the bracket to the transformer. I don’t think there’s a T-nut, just a couple of nylon spacers.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

varnish can lock a bolt in place. I used a paint/varnish stripper when I did mine transformer clean-up because it was really caked on good

Do you think it would be safe to put a few drops of paint stripper on the threads like you’d use wd40 for a rusted bolt?

1 week later
    #12 4 years ago

Finally got the bolt out after a couple hours worth of work. Of course it was destroyed during the process. The varnish had almost turned into a cement.

Does anyone know where replacement bolts can be found? No local hardware stores had anything close to the right size.

988A94C3-09BD-4BD6-9045-5079ABDD182D (resized).jpeg988A94C3-09BD-4BD6-9045-5079ABDD182D (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #18 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I hope OP is okay. He has a fellow pinsider reaching out to him with the parts he asked and 2 weeks later still nothing. Maybe he sent him a PM. Luch good job on trying to help out.

Yes, all is well thanks to Luch. We exchanged PM’s, a few $ and I received the hardware a short while later.

The varnish(?) had solidified in the bolt holes so bad that I ended up having to use a drill bit (by hand) to clean them out.

I’ll post a final update pic when the cleaning and painting is complete.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinless.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-transformer-bolt-stuck?tu=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.