Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin3 (resized).jpg
U20 (resized).JPG
U18 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

T2 game boots and starts up. Everything looks fine. Start button isn't starting the game.

The game was playing fine then I went to play another game and the start button would not start.

It tests out and works properly and even is detected in the switch edge test.
I unplugged all the cabinet switches and re-booted. In the test report i'm still getting a Row 2 grd short. The whole row is lit up in the matrix.
This locates the problem to within the MPU and not the cabinet switches.

My next issue is what to do next. Based on the schematics I decided that switching out U18 was the best place to start as Row 2 goes directly into it. I replaced the IC with LM339, and a socket. Re-installed the board after checking all the traces were still good from the IC back to each component. Booted the machines, and entered the test report and I'm still getting the same Row 2 grd short. Not really sure what to do next. Replace U19 and U20??? I'll post some pics of my progress but any suggestions help would be appreciated. Or should I just invest in a logic probe to diagnose which IC is the issue here?

I'm sorta stuck now at what to do next. I know I could just buy a replacement board, but I'd really like to learn how to solve and fix a problem like this. (My first time doing board work).

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

U18 (resized).JPGU18 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Ground short row problems are usually attributed to the column driver failure which is a ULN2803 located at U20. This is a common failure point on WPC era MPUs. If all of your switch connectors were disconnected and you still have a ground short to Row 2, I'd pull the board and replace U20 if you're comfortable with removing and replacing an IC chip. Report back afterwards and let us know if that solved your issue.

#3 7 years ago

Well I'm not super comfortable but I was able to replace U18 last night. Had a little warm up soldering tutorial on replacing a header on another DE power supply. IC removal is not easy. At elast for me it wasn't. I actually bought that IC as well, so I guess I might as well go ahead and replace it too.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. and yes I still had the short with all the connectors disconnected.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

Well I'm not super comfortable but I was able to replace U18 last night. Had a little warm up soldering tutorial on replacing a header on another DE power supply. IC removal is not easy. At elast for me it wasn't. I actually bought that IC as well, so I guess I might as well go ahead and replace it too.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. and yes I still had the short with all the connectors disconnected.

Don't try and desolder the IC. It is disposable - you must save the board and tracks at all costs.

Cut the legs off the old IC and remove the remaining pins from the PCB one by one. Clean out the holes using a sucker or good quality wick. Sometimes adding a little fresh solder to each pad prior to using wick helps greatly - this is something that is learned from experience and you really shouldn't be experimenting on a delicate board like this unless you have had a bit of practice doing this sort of thing on less easily damaged boards. It's your call however.

Fit a socket and you should be good to go.

I agree, U20 is very likely the culprit here.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

Well I'm not super comfortable but I was able to replace U18 last night. Had a little warm up soldering tutorial on replacing a header on another DE power supply. IC removal is not easy. At elast for me it wasn't. .....

DE Power Suplly is NOT a WPC CPU-Board!!!!

As said by homepin, let it be, if you have not enough experience, the traces on the WPC CPU-Board are soooo delicate, that you can destroy more than you think.

Homepin recommends using wick or a good solder sucker, BUT homepin is an absolut expert and he knows how to work with wick and a sucker.
I have seen many boards, where people with little experience destroyed the board by using a sucker (I have seen suckers, that were too strong and suck away the pad) or solder wick (often poeple work too hot and the pad is gone).

If you do not have a HAKKO 808 desoldering gun, I always recommend people with not so much soldering experience, to use the "needle-method" with a 0,8mm needle from your pharmacy. Imho, this is the most safe way, if you do not have the proper tools.

I have made a few years ago 2 videos, where I showed this way. Most importent is fresh solder!!!! And not too much heat!!!

And do not work in such a hurry I worked in my video, I only made this for demonstration purposes in an absolut hurry and my children were playing in the background

And remember: FRESH SOLDER!!!!!!!!

#6 7 years ago

All great advice here from Homepin and german-pinball. And I agree it's U20 on the CPU board.

#7 7 years ago

As long as you are there doing the repair, I would recommend socketing the chip. Makes it much easier to replace the chip if it fails again.
Good luck.

#8 7 years ago

I have lots of experience soldering just not on boards. either way I went at it and replaced U20. I wish I had watched your video first that needle technique looks way easier. Yes I did cut the chip off before. Anyhow long story short, this U20 chip had been replaced before. It already had 3 jumpers on the back. It was in rough shape. I got it out, and only lost 3 more holes in the process. lol

Regardless, I got it back in and into a socket. no way I'd ever not use a socket. I jumped over all the broken traces to there proper spots and then double checked them all with the DMM.. They checked out as should I believe.

Popped the board back into T2 and now my Direct switches don't work. I have nothing on the coin door working. Seems like my start button is now working though as when I press it it responds by saying CREDIT 0. Can't enter the test menu without the error button.

Any idea on where to go next?

Replacement board is about $260 here in Canada. Not the end of the world, but i'm enjoying this challenge of learning electronics and gaining soldering skills.

Thanks for all the help and tips guys.

ps. german-pinball, what was the cleaner you sprayed on the board after? I didn't catch it in the video. The brush thing that you clean up with.

#9 7 years ago

I was told on another site to check U16 pin 3 for 12v as this is provided for the direct switches on the coin door. I'm missing 12V at this pin.
Anybody have a good suggestion on where to jumper 12v to this point from?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

I was told on another site to check U16 pin 3 for 12v as this is provided for the direct switches on the coin door. I'm missing 12V at this pin.
Anybody have a good suggestion on where to jumper 12v to this point from?

Pin 3 of an LM339 is actually the supply rail so ALL of the LM339's should have supply voltage on them while the machine is powered on.

The schematics say this voltage is 12V.

There is obviously a track missing or broken somewhere and if this one is broken what others are as well????

In any case, you could jumper pin 3 of this LM339 to pin 3 of one of the other LM339's to get your 12V.

If you intend to do any board work I strongly suggest becoming familiar with the schematic diagrams. Learn how to read and interpret them. If you don't you will have next to no chance of doing repairs without going around in circles.

Also, regardless of your soldering skills, the tracks on these boards are exceptionally fragile. Far more so than most other electronics. Please take a lot more care than you might usually - even very experienced, seasoned electronics technicians have trouble working ith the crappy tracks on these boards without lifting the delicate tracks and damaging the poor quality through hole plating.

#11 7 years ago

I'm definitely trying to learn to read and understand schematics. I took an introductory electronics course back in first year engineer. That was about 15 years ago, and it's mostly a blur but some of it is coming back. Either way I can read basic stuff I think but sometimes things get confusing.

Like for example, how come U20 doesn't show what pin 9 & 10 are connected too? Is it just assumed to be something?

Anyhow I totally hear all you guys on the fragile state of these boards. I learned that first hand. Had to jumper 3 new traces, along with 3 that were already damaged from the last repair. Which LM339 would you suggest jumping the 12v from? Or should I just grab it from the rail where the original trace looks to be going to.

U20 (resized).JPGU20 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

Like for example, how come U20 doesn't show what pin 9 & 10 are connected too? Is it just assumed to be something?

Look in the upper right corner of the schematic, it shows the power and ground for the IC's

Quoted from spikedbat:

Which LM339 would you suggest jumping the 12v from?

I would get it from U16-3

pin3 (resized).jpgpin3 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Hi guys,

I'll give an update. I will admit I was the problem when testing the pins. I was reading the pins wrong on the IC's. Only realized it when I pulled up the data sheets. I was testing pin 10 of U16, which as it turns out is a ground. U16 pin 3 has now been jumpered over to pin 10 of U20. Success. The direct switches work now. The test report is coming back with no errors.

Okay so the board work was a success, however encountered a new problem. The start button now works, however when pressed the game would say "PINBALL MISSING" and start a ball search. (YES I HAVE 3 BALLS INSTALLED). Anyhow, I went into the switch matrix edge test and the three trough and outhole switches were no longer being detected in the test. Also when I was pressing the Start button, it was showing up in the TEST as the "Right Flipper". Left flipper would not register in the edge test. All other switches seem to be working fine however.
I have noticed that somebody in the past has ran a wire from the outhole switch all the way along the harness up into the backbox and have connected it to J207. I assume this was the wire for the outhole switch.

Not sure what is going on exactly now. but looks like i'm not registering a bunch of switches in the column #1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-switch-matrix-row-2-gdn-short-t2-non-working-start-button?hl=spikedbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.