(Topic ID: 232408)

WPC sounds muddy/distorted on CFTBL

By Chet

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Greetings. My creature voice and music sounds have always sounded muddy/distorted in comparison to the fidelity of the sounds from my other games of this era (Getaway, TAF, BSD). All voice calls and music play and do not cut out or anything like that. The board is a pre-DCS A-12738-20006 series board. I replaced the original factory speakers with a set of FF speakers adjusted the volume balance control but they did not make any noticeable improvement to the muddy sounds. I then replaced all the electrolytic caps and some other tant caps (C20,C21,C22,C18,C15,C34,C36,C38,C35,C32,C3,C24,C25,C46,C47) but no noticeable improvement. I tested all the Resistors on the board including pulling one leg on some of them to get accurate readings with my ohm meter. All the resistors tested well within spec. Note the board was original and had no previous work done. All the sound ROMS are original factory as well as the audio amp. I tested the diodes D1-D6 and they are o.k. I tested the voltage outputs of the voltage regulators U3 and U4 and the voltages tested -11.96v and +12.05 volts so those I feel are the correct output voltages. Visual inspection shows no heat or burnt caps or components on the board.

Was hoping someone might that have some experience and have other thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what I should check or consider replacing on the board. There is not much written on troubleshooting these boards in Clays manual and even much less on Pinwiki.

#4 5 years ago

I just tested game with a new CPU-fliptonic-sound-DMD controller board ribbon cable from Great Plains electronics. Unfortunately, new ribbon cable did not change or improve the sound and music.

#7 5 years ago

Not all the music and voice calls are bad but some are muffled and slurred more than others. Wish that I had another creature available to compare mine with. I could try a different set of speakers. I have subwoofers on some games and I plan to hook a sub to creature to hear what it sounds like. Creature does not have much base. I was trying to clean up the sound before hooking up a sub.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 27.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
€ 24.00
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-sounds-muddy-distorted-on-cftbl?tu=Chet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.