Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I got a U14 check sum error on my TZ. I first replace the U14 eprom (it was bad) and still got the error. I found that U15 was also bad and replaced it and still get the same U14 error. U18 checked out good. I'm running L2 sound and 9.4 H . Tried reseating the cables and chips on the sound board. There is nothing obvious wrong with the sound but because the 2 eproms were bad I think I should track down the problem. Any ideas?

#2 5 years ago

Bad socket ? Bad solder joint on socket legs to board ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

How did you determine the U14 and U15 failed?

#4 5 years ago

I did take a look at the sockets and checked continuity with my meter. It all tested good.

#5 5 years ago

I have one DMD pin that Always give an checksum error, apparently it is generated because the soundboard installed is of a later version then should be. Sound however is working fine, so never replaced it

#6 5 years ago

I have had the machine running for years with no error for years and one day the error just popped up. I tried recapping the board and that didn't solve the error.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How did you determine the U14 and U15 failed?

#8 5 years ago

Both U14 and U15 image did not match using my Needham's Eprom burner. U18 did check as a good match. I triple checked U14 and tried burning 2 different Eproms and still get the error.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you for that info. Many people, as myself, do not have an Eprom burner.
At my company, when we used Eproms, we always cleaned the window with alcohol and erased the part 2 times in an Eprom Eraser before reprogramming.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

we always cleaned the window with alcohol

After removing the label I've seen EPROMs with a large amount of adhesive left behind. I've used Goo Gone (and lots of elbow grease) to get the remainder of the adhesive removed. It is imperative to remove all the adhesive before attempting to window erase the EPROM. I've had one in the past where there was remaining adhesive and it didn't erase correctly until I removed the adhesive.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from ripple:

Both U14 and U15 image did not match using my Needham's Eprom burner. U18 did check as a good match. I triple checked U14 and tried burning 2 different Eproms and still get the error.

So reading the original U14 and U15 in a writer attached to computer resulted in a mismatched checksum compared to the known good "master" image?

U14 should be $A08A
U15 should be $9588

I assume you did the following:

- Write a new clean image for U14.
- Tried it in the machine.
- Still produced U14 checksum error.
- Removed U14 and verified in the EPROM reader that the checksum still matches.
- (For grins and giggles) Tried it again in the machine to verify the result reproduces.

If you've done that then there's definitely a problem on the board. I'd check all 32 pins of the U14 socket for continuity to the correct point. Almost all of those pins are either the address or data bus and continuous with the same other pin on U15 or U18. It's really only CE/OE (pins 22 and 24) that are specific. It looks like (according to the schematic) that OE (pin 24) is tied together for all the EPROMs.

Specifically U14 is A21 connected to U28-15. If you have (static) continuity then you'll probably need to verify (dynamic) functionality. A logic probe should reveal the signal transmission on this line.

#12 5 years ago

My Eprom program has a verify function. I don’t know how it exactly works but both U14 and U15 did not verify as matching the program, U18 did match fine. I did double and triple check U14 and tried 2 different chips with the same error. I did check continuity on U14 socket but I have not checked U15 or U18 sockets. I will check continuity on those 2 chips and U14 -A21 connected to U28-15. Also thinking of burning a new set of both L1 and L2 sound roms and trying them.

#13 5 years ago

Do you have the correct Eprom manufacturer and size (27c16 vs 27c32) selected on the programmer?

#14 5 years ago

I don't see it mentioned here but it is always a good idea to run a blank check on your EPROM prior to burning it.

#15 5 years ago

I got 3 newly burned ROM chips installed and it fixed the error. I have had a Needham's Eprom programmer for 15+ years and never quite had this problem. The 3 old chips verified as good but there must have been a problem. Also the board was also recapped and the popping noise when I turn on the machine is much less.

3 years later
#16 1 year ago

I'm trying to burn a 1.1 sound rom for AFM. I've got a 4mbit chip. The sound rom is 1 mbit but I'm using a D27C4001 4 mbit chip. I've expanded the rom size by doing a binary copy and burned the chip and verified but i get a S2 checksum error but sound works fine (Checksum is 1300 0x08FF)

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I'm trying to burn a 1.1 sound rom for AFM. I've got a 4mbit chip. The sound rom is 1 mbit but I'm using a D27C4001 4 mbit chip. I've expanded the rom size by doing a binary copy and burned the chip and verified but i get a S2 checksum error but sound works fine (Checksum is 1300 0x08FF)

Pretty sure that requires an 8 mbit chip. Isn’t the file one mbyte?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Pretty sure that requires an 8 mbit chip. Isn’t the file one mbyte?

I couldn’t possibly make such a dumb mistake….

#19 1 year ago

There is a slight difference between bit and byte...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 12.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-sound-board-u14-check-sum-error- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.