(Topic ID: 271041)

WPC Sound Board Repair Advice

By SeymorGoldfarbJr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sound Board (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seymorgoldfarbjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

This is in regards to my Gilligan's island sound board (A-12738-20003). The back story is the sound was very scratchy when I bought the game. I took the easy route and bought Marco cap kit for it. The board was clearly worked on in the past. I replaced all the caps except for the two large caps as they looked newer. The game sounded better but not great. I then replaced the two larger caps. When I put the board back in the game to test it, I accidentally connected both sound plugs (J504 and J505 ) to the positive output (pin 2 on each connector, J504-2 and J505-2) instead of pin J504-2 and J505-3. Within a few seconds I could smell a chip or component burning and I shut the game off. There is absolutely no sound output from the board now.

I order a new amp (U1) and replaced that, no change. I swapped out the three sound ROMs (U14, U15, U18) and the three other socketed chips (U10, U11, U13) into a known working board and it still worked perfect, so I know those components all are good along with the speakers in my game.

The R20 resistor looks like it got pretty warm. It measures around 2.5 Ohms. It should be a 1 Ohm resistor. I have not replaced this yet as I don't have the correct resistor in stock.

I'm looking for suggestions on what components I likely damaged which I should check or replace?
    Sound Board (resized).jpgSound Board (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

You might want to check U3 the -12v Voltage regulator and also U4 12v Regulator.

I measured at the voltage regulators:

7812 - 26VDC in, 12 VDC out
    7912 - 0.4VDC in, 0.6 VDC out

Does that indicate the 7912 is bad, or that I lost voltage somewhere before the regulator?

#7 3 years ago

I figured it out. The top side trace on C24 did not have continuity to the negative side of the cap. I fixed that and the sound board works again. Unfortunately, the static in the sound persists.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seymorgoldfarbjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-sound-board-repair-advice-1?tu=seymorgoldfarbjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.