3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coyote
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200813-182654 (resized).jpg
    20200813_163116 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Rebuilding a project BSD and a few seconds after power up the Sound board sizzled, sparks then a small drift of smoke before I had time to reach down and switch the power off.

On closer inspection I found C46 has blown as shown in the photo. Any ideas what might have caused this?

Lower cabinet speaker was unplugged at the time. Rest of the game appeared to boot fine.

The board was supposedly ok, but was untested by me. I have another in a working game, but don't want to install that until I can be sure it's not related to this machine. Supply voltages to the sound board all checkout ok.
    20200813_163116 (resized).jpg20200813_163116 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Old tantalum capacitors sometimes short and explode. Probably nothing wrong with the board. If supply voltages are correct, just install a new capacitor. Maybe it would be a good idea to replace all tantalum caps.

#3 3 years ago

Ok, I'll give that a try, thanks. Anyone have a list of which caps to replace on this board?

#4 3 years ago

Just had another look and my aging eyes let me down, it was C46 that blew, not C45 as originally stated in the 1st post. That's been edited now.

Looks like there are two types of tantalum caps as listed in the manual. 1uf and 10 uf. Will have to order some.

Screenshot_20200813-182654 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200813-182654 (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

That explains why my schematic shows C45 as a 22pF

Get 35V caps when ordering.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

That explains why my schematic shows C45 as a 22pF
    Get 35V caps when ordering.

Will do, thanks for your help! Hopefully nothing else on the board was damaged.

#7 3 years ago

Yeah, those Tant caps go in a blaze of glory when they do. I just lost one off the sound board in my TZ last week.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-sound-board-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.