(Topic ID: 20236)

WPC Sound (A-12738) freeze and scramble *fixed*

By CadillacMusic

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Today I've been fooling around with our broken WPC sound boards, trying to get some disabled ones up and working. I've come across one with a really weird problem. It will play some sounds, but tends to become frozen or spit out garbage on others. It also seems to be making inapropriate sound effects calls. For example, I'm testing boards in a Fishtales today. If I start a game, I get game music, but not the normal "Gone Fishin'" noise. It will play some effects fine, like "How big was it?", but chokes on the sound for completed LIE. If I go into test mode, it will start to play the music, but you'll hear dial tone SFX in the background. If I try to play the tropical music, it becomes stuck on one note.

With the incorrect sound calls, I figured it was the 74ls374 IC chips going bad, but I replaced those and still have the same problem. I swapped out u13, u10, and u11, because they're easy. No luck there. It's not the U18, because the same rom works in other boards. Before I go through and replace all the chips one by one, any suggestions on what might be causing this?

#2 11 years ago

***BUMP***

Need a veteran pinhead to read this and jump in! Over my head

#3 11 years ago

Ah, Fixed it. Answer was U9, the memory. Luckily, some past tech had ordered a few spare chips, so I popped a new one in there, and after some minor trace fixes, it's good as gold. Whee! Weird that it passed the self test, though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-sound-a-12738-freeze-and-scramble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.