Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by earflaps
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider earflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I should have posted in here but thought I would try the Flintstone's Owner's Club first.

Been searching the forums with no luck for a small problem I'm having and wondered if anyone else came across it? When you engage the Bronto Crane, then shoot the left orbit to engage the switch, the ball carries on through to the DIG lanes. The ball diverter post is supposed to activate so it redirects the ball to the ball kicker. The same thing is happening for the left Time option on Shoot for the Machine. The diverter does not engage but it appears the switch is working in the orbit lane. When I test both the switch and the diverter in test mode, they work fine.

I also changed out the switch with a new one but it doesn't appear to be the problem. It's registering points as you activate the switch when Bronto Crane mode or Time is activated but still won't activate the diverter. I guess I'll test Q78 and see what I get...appears to be fine.

For the heck of it, I installed a diode on the Ball Diverter coil in question...no change. The strange thing is that it does work for the right orbit switch.

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the diverter works in the solenoid test.

Not sure about the option you speak of? I think you're asking where my troubleshooting expertise is at...I would say in the middle, if that's the question.

#5 8 years ago

Okay...I'll go through the switch test again. I did check it once and everything appeared to be fine...I think but I'll check again.

I have the board out right now and running through all the transistors and bridges to make sure they test fine. I don't have the equipment to energize the board out of the game but I'll set that up in the future as it would make it so much easier to diagnose the boards.

Just a quick explanation on how this game should fire the diverter in question. When you go through the Bronto Orbit, it's lights the left orbit so you can shoot for the Bronto Crane (diverter in question).

Another mode, Time Machine, lights both the left orbit and the right orbit. Part way through the orbits there are switches that activate the diverter when rolled over...these both work as points are given on the DMD and make a sound when rolled over. In this mode, the right orbit's switch will activate the diverter but the left orbit will not.

Lastly, there is a multiball mode that is collected when you roll over the left or right orbits as well. The right orbit's switch will activate multiball but the left orbit's switch does not.

I have replaced the left orbit's switch with a new one and tested it in the Switch Edge Test. Again, it kinda works as there are points awarded along with making a noise when rolled over.

Hope that helps. I'm going to finish testing the board for a bit now. Any other ideas while I have the board out would be greatly appreciated.

#7 8 years ago

Meant to give an update last night but it was late when I finished. Last night I tested the board on the bench and everything except one of the bridges under the heat sink tested fine. I replaced the bridge in question, reinstalled and tested again...same thing.

This morning I took a few of your suggestions and started looking at the switches and diverter again. Sorry terryb but I didn't have time to check which switches were open or closed. I can tell you that all the switches work. However, I discovered a few more things that point to a short in the Switch Matrix.

I wanted to take the diverter out of the equation so I took the glass off and simulated game play by touching various targets and switches. I've done that before but this time I was looking beyond the two orbit switches in question. Both orbit switches are working and registering points as discussed earlier. I also noticed that "Shoot for the Machine" mode works as designed on the right orbit but not the left orbit...the diverter kicks up. For a moment I thought maybe it was the upper right ball gate just behind the right orbit switch which is connected to a relay that was activating the diverter. That wasn't the case, it was actually the right orbit switch that was activating the diverter.

Looking past the diverter issue, I also noticed that the "R" in the 4 bank opto drop target lit when I hit the lower left Dino target...that's not supposed to happen. That helped put things into a better perspective about still having a short somewhere on the playfield. It was good to go through the Driver Board nonetheless.

I'm going to look at the Matrix again then try what terryb had suggested. Looks like I'll have to wait differ that until after work....grrr.

#9 8 years ago

Kinda. I've recently replaced the LX1 chip with an LX5....that reset everything much to the horror of my son who's 1 Billion high score was erased. The problem remained the same after the new chip.

#10 8 years ago

I did some further deciphering of the Switch and Lamp Matrix and I think I'm just about there. After realizing that the Drop Target "R" was "4 Bank Target #4" and not "#1", things started to make sense. And what logic is naming the first letter in a word #4 target...geez? Anyway, I see that both the Drop Target "R" and the Lower Left Sling Target are on Row 4. That problem shouldn't take too long to track down now. I hope my mysterious Left Orbit Switch problems go away when I fix this but I doubt it...they don't seem to be related on the Matrix.

#12 8 years ago

Ya...hoping that's the case terryb. I notice that the switches found on the Rows: 4 Bank #4, Low L Sling Target and the Upper L Orbit are all placed on J209. While for the columns, they are all placed on the J207 connector. Who knows, there may be something to that?

#15 8 years ago

Problem solved. My God that one sucked! Really was a goofy mix-up that caused all the trouble. The Left Inner lane switch and the Left Outer Lane switches were reversed....I know, tell me about it. No wonder I couldn't track down a switch error or CPU problem. Naming was so similar along with the wire colours that it was almost by fluke that I finally stared at it long enough to tweak my interest. Anyway, it's solved. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I still have a couple of Opto Switches that are shorting when another switch is pressed but that's another day.

#17 8 years ago

Thanks terryb. Feel a little silly for digging so deep when it was so simple...just wasn't familiar enough with the game to realize. Thanks again for your help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider earflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-s-switch-or-cpu-problem?tu=earflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.