6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tiesmasc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Just bought a Shadow. Before moving it the DMD had some issues with the top 1/2 of the display not working. Since moving and setting up I now get no DMD

I've reseated all connectors on the DMD and the DMD driver board (and made sure they are in the right place).

I don't have any spare cables (ribbon or otherwise). I also don't have a spare DMD (but am looking into borrowing one).

Curious how you'd diagnose this? Is it the DMD? Is it the Board? Is it a cable?

I will be looking into continuity and also the voltages supplied at the 8 pin connector at the DMD... per http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Display_problems.... but would love your suggestions.

#2 6 years ago

Did you reseat cables from CPU to DMD driver board to DMD ?

Then I'd measure power to the big connector on the DMD. If that has any low or missing then DMD driver board, if they are right, then DMD.

I can load you a DMD ( one line out ) if it will help.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

If there is a cable connected to the DMD or the DMD driver board I reseated it. I will begin testing voltages later today.

LTG May end up borrowing your offer of a DMD. Thank you very much.

#4 6 years ago

Update: Voltages supplied by DMD Controller to the DMD Display as measured when all is plugged in and measured at DMD (A) and also when when uplugged and measured directly at the controller (B)

---A--- ---B---
    Pin 1 -118.0 -117.5 (Should be 110-112 or about 124 V)
    Pin 2 -104.8 -92.5 (Should be 12 volt difference in column A and 20 volt difference in column B)
    Pin 3 Key
    Pin 4 Ground
    Pin 5 Ground
    Pin 2 -104.8 -92.5 (Should be 12 volt difference)
    Pin 6 4.9 4.9 (Should be 5 V)
    Pin 7 12.5 12.5 (Should be 12 V)
    Pin 8 63.6 63.3 (Should be 62 V)

So, potential issues or not?
    1) -118V on Pin 1 is neither in the range of 110-112 or 124 Volts
    2) Pin 2 is not a straight 12 V difference but rather 13.2 V
    3) Pin 7 is 12.5 vs. 12.0 concerning?
    4) Pin 8 is 63.6 vs. 62.0 concerning?

Could either of the above be the issue (thus suggesting the Driver board perhaps)?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from tiesmasc:

Could either of the above be the issue

I'd try a different DMD first, if the DMD driver board, you'd be missing some or way low on some voltages.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

Update: borrowed DMD from LTG and have good display now!!! Board must be good

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-s-no-dmd-diagnostic-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.