(Topic ID: 234665)

WPC-S High Power Solenoid Weak issue

By robertmee

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.36.56 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.34.43 PM (resized).png
    WPC89 BR3 jumper wires  (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Scratching my head over this one and running out of things to check/test/repair.

Globally, the HP solenoids on a BSD appear weak. The shooter lane barely gets the ball into the upper PF. The Pops seem a bit weak although still bounce the ball around.

What I've done/checked:

BR3 was replaced
    C8 100uf cap was replaced
    All traces/pads verified with good continuity
    TP measures 70VDC unloaded. No AC Ripple on DC signal.
    Shooter coil (the one I'm using for tests) measures 70VDC unloaded to ground, 50VDC when firing
    Headers J101, 102 and 103 replaced for incoming AC
    Plugs at transformer reseated and inspected
    Connectors for Grounds on Aux Board for Solenoids reseated
    J107 power to coils reseated (Have not replaced this header, however)
    Good Screws to Aux Board to Backboard for grounding
    Strength seems no different whether coming from transistor on board or if I ground the coil lug directly (tested using ground jumper from cabinet directly to coil)
    Diode for this coil on Aux board tests fine

In that there is no difference in strength from a direct ground to board ground, would tell me that it's a power side problem, agree?

#2 5 years ago

So, turns out there was an issue with J107. Swapped connectors J106 with J107, and strength was returned. Will reflow or replace J107.

4 years later
    #3 10 months ago

I know this is 4 years later, but I was having a similar problem with a WPC driver board recently (working on Fish Tales- same power driver board: A-12697-1). Weak solenoids. Fuse F112 (solenoids secondary) had blown once but didn't seem to blow again (later I find a broken trace that explains this...) I recapped the driver board with a kit from Marco - also found a bad Bridge Rectifier - BR3 - had 1 shorted diode, and lastly a trace was burned up on the top of the driver board from BR3 to J104. I used a piece of wire to bridge the trace on top of the board (in retrospect this didn't work).

However when I put it back in the machine, I still had the same symptom- weak solenoids. Hmm.

So it turns out that the through hole traces by the bridge rectifiers are notorious for breaking. When I replaced BR3, I carefully removed the old BR with a Hakko FR-301 (vacuum desoldering tool), and didn't see any solder pads/traces or through hole traces coming out when I was removing it, but I think just removal is enough to break the through hole trace without even knowing it. My solution (thanks, Jeff) is to run jumper wires from J104 / J105 pins 1 & 2 to BR3 A/C poles on the back of the board. J104/J105 are the fused AC coming from the transformer through J102.

Please note that the pinout (for J104/J105) in the BSD (or in my case Fish Tales) Manual is incorrect. The manual says pin 5 is on the left and pin 1 is on the right when looking at the board from the top. But I'm looking at the board and the pins are in the opposite order- pin 1 is on the left and pin 5 is on the right. (pictures included)

This brought everything back to normal! Hope this can help someone who needs it. This problem took me a while to figure out...

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.34.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.34.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.36.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.36.56 PM (resized).pngWPC89 BR3 jumper wires  (resized).jpgWPC89 BR3 jumper wires (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-s-high-power-solenoid-weak-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.