Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red and ted head .jpg
red and ted eyes+lids.jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Rectifier (resized).PNG
12v reg.png
#1 7 years ago

H All, i recently purchased a RED and TED RS.
it has been one of my kids favorite games, so when a decent one became available locally, i picked it up.

the game is in overall nice shape.

i tested the game upon purchase and all coils/ flashers/ motors worked correctly except reds eyeballs and eyelids, as well as teds eyeballs and eyelids.

i have been working on my games for about 5 years now, so i have a pretty good understanding of how most things work, so first on the agenda was to get all these eyes working.

i now have 2 problems with the game.

problem 1

looking through diagnostics, i saw that all solenoids (#9-16) for the eyes went through fuse #104.

i pulled and tested 104, and i tested good.
i visually noticed that fuse 105 was possibly bad, it looked like it just had a small imperfection, so i pulled and tested 105, and it was in fact bad.

i then replaced the fuse with the CORRECT 3a slow blow fuse.

when i powered the game back on, REDS eyelids CLOSED, while TEDS remained OPEN,
and i got smoke from the power driver board in the backbox.

i immediately powered off the game, and removed the new fuse 105.

i double checked the fuse, it did not blow, and is in fact 3a SB.

driver board is still in game, but it appears that it smoked from vicinity of transistor Q56, but R97 and possibly R96 look fried.

odd thing here is that diagnostics and manual say:
fuse 104 controls #9-16, and that fuse 105 controls 1-8,
although 1-8 were working fine with blown fuse 105,
while 9-16 were not working with good fuse 104.

something is wrong here.....can anybody clear this up?

problem #2

fuse 105 is still removed.

since i figured i can live with the eyes not working till i get the driver board straight, i decided to use my time to replace some of the burned out insert bulbs.

i put game into all lamps test, lifted the playfield, and being very careful since power was on, i replaced about 6 bulbs.
all bulbs are traditional incandescent (no leds).

old bulbs tested as bad, and new bulbs worked as they should.

i go back to the coin door switches, and coin door switches are not working.

i power game off then on, i then get "GND. SHORT ROW 1 IS STUCK CLOSED" message.
also dozer motor (sol 23) runs a few seconds, trough (sol 1) activates a few times while lock kick out (solactivates 6x, then lock up pin (sol 4) activates one time.

i know power should be off, but was careful not to short anything out.
it is possible, that something shorted anyhow, so lesson learned.

what i have done so far:

first off, NO CORROSION NOTED ON CPU. this CPU has the standoff battery holder from the factory.
NO CORROSION OR SIGNS THEREOF on switch wires or connectors 205,206,207,208 or 212.
i pulled battery holder off CPU, and NO CORROSION underneath holder.

keep in mind, that i have no use of diagnostic switches at this point.

i visually checked all 64 switches from the switch matrix for grounding, and tugged lightly on each diode checking for loose diodes.

i went down switch row one, and disconnected the slam tilt from the interface board, trough connectors,spinner connector right ramp and coin door one at a time and still get the error. i checked switches for teds mouth, left sling,and white standup, and all seem to be working correctly.

then using my dmm, i checked 212,207,209 and 205 for continuity to ground strap.
i did not get a buzz tone.

i pulled coin door connector from interface, and checked all switches. all seem to be working correctly.

i pulled the connector from the 7 opto board under playfield with no change. i even replaced the 7 opto board with a spare that (should be) working correctly. but having pulled the connectors i believe 7 opto board is not the problem.

i also disconnected the 3 eddy switches, with no change,

i pulled 212,207,209 connectors while leaving 205 (orange wires) connected.
GND. SHORT ROW 1 IS STUCK CLOSED error remains.

supposedly that means problem is on CPU.

however, i had a problem with my WPC95 where the diagnostic switches stopped working and I was convinced that it was on CPU. after removing the CPU a few times over a three month period, one day they just started working again...?

as on all WPC-S CPU, my U20 is socketed, but i do not have a chip available. my U16,17,18,19 are not. im not comfortable changing these.

research tells me U20 is not for dedicated switches, but is it possible dedicated switches are out due to U20 being bad?

i have a WPC95, plus a WPC non S CPU available.
I dont believe either of these can be used to test in game.. correct?

is it possible problem 2 is related to problem1? i think they would not be.

i will see if i can locate a chip for U20 locally.

i think i should get switches working again before sorting out the eye issue.

what else can i do to figure this out?

meanwhile my kids keep asking when they can play it....OUCH.....ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!... thanks/sparky

#2 7 years ago

That's quite a story. Think it is best to concentrate on the menu-buttons so you can perform tests again.

Check the 12 Volt on the CPU-board. (J210-7)
If there is no 12V, likely fuse F115 has blown on the PowerDriverBoard.

Before you replace the fuse, check for a short on the CPU-board.
-Machine OFF
-unplug J210
-multimeter set to 'diode', RED pen on J210-1, BLK pen on J210-7 should give ~ 500mV

If it was close to zero mV, one of the chips on the lower part of the CPU-board has a short and has to be found first before replace the fuse.
Pull U20 out of its socket and measure again.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

GND. SHORT ROW 1 IS STUCK CLOSED

Possible U18 is blown as well, here you can cut the leg from U18-3 away and measure again for a short.

#3 7 years ago

Hi zaza. Thanks for your interest in helping me.

Unless im doing something wrong. I seem to only be getting about 1v at j210-7.

I just pulled j210 and tested pin 1 and 7 as you suggested. Diode seems good. .5xx.

Pulled fuse 115. It tests good.

Im not ready to cut leg of u18-3 at this time.

#4 7 years ago

Did you do this yet?

Quoted from zaza:

Pull U20 out of its socket and measure again.

#5 7 years ago

Maniac, i didnt pull u20. I thought i didnt need to unless the diode test was close to zero. Should i pull and test since diode seems good?

Also tested TP1 on driver board. Shows 14.xxv.

Also noticed that LED 1 on driver board is dim compared to the rest. Thanks. Sparky

#6 7 years ago

The problem with the 12Volt might be on the powerdiverboard then.

Let's first check the Driverboard.
Pull J114 from board and power up machine. (it won't start now)
Check Volt-dc with DMM the fuse F115 and diode D2 as in picture.

12v reg.png12v reg.png

#7 7 years ago

Zaza. I will test now. Also, please see my last post above yours, i seemed to post at same time as you. Thanks.

#8 7 years ago

Yes we posted at the same time.
You can wait with U20 and the rest of the CPU board. First the powerdriverboard

#9 7 years ago

Just pulled 114.
Fuse shows -.03
D2 keeps rising. I saw it go as high as 45 and still going.

Keep in mind fuse 105 is currently REMOVED.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

45 and still going.

45Volt on D2 ?
what is on TP8 ? located under the far most right BIG capacitor.
this should be close to 18 Volt

#11 7 years ago

Hi zaza. I will have to continue later tonight, or tomorrow. I have to bring the kids to a halloween party right now. Dont want to keep you waiting. Thanks!! Sparky.

#12 7 years ago

have a nice evening.
Over here it is sleeping time so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

#13 7 years ago

Yes 45 at D2
-04.8 at TP8 with j114 removed. Thanks

#14 7 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if this is technically possible or that the measurements are taken the wrong way.
Even when the board is wrong plugged these values are difficult to explain.

Multimeter was set to Vdc, with black pen on GND and red pen to all measuring points ?
Also no fingers against the metal parts of the red pen and machine is correct grounded ?

#15 7 years ago

Yes zaza. Just rechecked.

Black to ground strap. Red to test location.
Dmm on vdc. No fingers touching.

Machine has ground braid throughout.

All measurements same as above.
D2 rises as much as 45 and would go higher if left longer. Thanks

#16 7 years ago

Try doing test on actual Ground, not the strap. As far as I can recall, the strap is connected to 110v neutral. That SHOULD give you voltage readings, but could give false readings. So to rule out any false readings, I'd try on a logic ground, just toi be sure..

#17 7 years ago

Coyote, I just tried TP5 GRN as ground (under TP7 20v)

Is this a good spot or should i try somewhere else? Thanks

#18 7 years ago

This is an interesting one! I hope you sort it.

I always use the ground TP5 to clip my ground/black lead on. This way you are also testing if the board has a good ground. Is LED 6 lit when F114 is installed?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

Coyote, I just tried TP5 GRN as ground (under TP7 20v)
Is this a good spot or should i try somewhere else? Thanks

Oh heck yeah, that's perfect.

#20 7 years ago

DSBDBB i just plugged 114 in, and LED 6 is off.

#21 7 years ago

OK. You need to check the Volts AC going into the bridge rectifier BR1. Best to check at the rectifier legs if possible. You can also check this between the output of fuse 114 and pin 7 of J101. Then you should check the volts DC out of the rectifier. Also check if there is any AC output from the rectifier. If there is AC coming out then the rectifier is shorted.

Rectifier (resized).PNGRectifier (resized).PNG

#22 7 years ago

DSB, not sure i understand exactly. I know BR1,and i probably cant get to the legs, but do i put red on fuse114, and black on ground, or on 101-7?

Do i put black lead on ground for each if the tests above, or someplace else? Thanks.

#23 7 years ago

When testing AC you do not test to ground. Set your meter to volts AC and test between fuse 114 and pin 7 of J101. Doesn't matter which lead you put where when testing AC. You can check both sides of fuse 114 to pin 7. This will confirm a circuit through the fuse.

#24 7 years ago

Ok. Dmm on acv.
Game power on.
101 connected.

14.1 at fuse side closest to 101
.461 at far side of fuse.

Please also note that i have fuse 105 removed due to it causing a problem explained in post #1.
Should i replace fuse, or leave it out? Thanks. Sparky

#25 7 years ago

That's good news sort of.

Fuse 105 will not effect this problem

You should have 14.1 volts or close to at both sides of fuse 114. The fuse is either blown, broken or is not making a connection to the fuse holder?

#26 7 years ago

I thought that was odd. I will go check on that right now.

#27 7 years ago

Ok. Fuse 114 is blown.

Book calls for 8a 32v normal blow

Blown fuse says:
MDL 3 250v
I assume 3 is 3a, which would be much lower than called for.

I have some fuses marked:
311 3ag 8a 32v

Also:
8a 250v 312

And a bunch of:
8amp 250v slow blows

I read somewhere that 32v or 250v does not matter. Correct?

Im sure the sliw blows are not a good replacement, but hiw are the others i listed?

#28 7 years ago

The voltage doesn't matter for pinball use EXCEPT for the fuse in the mains (power in) position.

"3AG" is the physical fuse size the same as "205" means 20 x 5mm

#29 7 years ago

Thanks homepin.
How do i know if they are slow blow or normal blow?

My slow blows are marked on the package, but the others are loose.

Are either of the first two i listed good replacements? Thanks

#30 7 years ago

Yep voltage doesn't matter but put the correct 8 amp that the book says. You may want to first check the bulbs you have replaced in the lamp matrix to see if there are no obvious shorts as that can blow fuse 114.

#31 7 years ago

Slow Blow usually have SB on them and may have a curly filament. Fast Blow will just have a straight filament.

#32 7 years ago

AWESOME!!!!

That was the fix!!

First i want to say a BIG "THANK YOU" to
DSB, zaza, maniac, coyote and homepin for taking the time to help with this issue.

I never would have guessed that a switch grounding error message, could be caused by this blown fuse.

Seems silly to me now that i should have checked all fuses, but it seemed to be MUCH worse than that a blown fuse.
What a terrible feeling it was, but now im all smiles that its playable again!!

Now that problem 2 is solved. Id love to get problem 1 squared away.

Is it strange that my fuse 105 controlls sol 9-16 when book says it should be 1-8?

#33 7 years ago

Good you got it!

And no - the WCS manual is FULL of errors. While I personally haven't checked the coil power, I would not be surprised if it was wrong..

#34 7 years ago

Check the plugs on the driver board. Are they wired like this picture?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#35 7 years ago

Sorry Wrong game ignore the previous.

#36 7 years ago

Got the right manual now. Fuse 105 is the correct fuse for the eyes.

Q56 drives the solenoid to close Teds lids. Check that coil but it sounds like there is some work to do on the driver board.

#37 7 years ago

Great progress here !

included the driver for sol#10, coming from U4:
red and ted eyes+lids.jpgred and ted eyes+lids.jpg

#38 7 years ago

Nice and clear picture!

#39 7 years ago

DSB, thanks for checking into fuse 105 for me.

I will need to do the board work for sure.

Im curious why Q56 area burned up so easily, without blowing fuse 105 instead.

I will have to take ted apart soon to inspect, and most likely replace the coil.

Zaza, thank you again for your AMAZING diagrams. They are straight and to the point.
A year ago, you posted a diagram for me, for a start button light issue, i was impressed then and never forgot it.
This red/ted eye diagram you just posted will surely help. I noticed that you even seperated the coils by male/female with pink/blue highlights.

My thinking right now is that i should be able to disconnect the Molex connector at TEDS head, and replace fuse 105.

The connector at ted is only for eye/lid movement. His mouth and dozer are completely seperate.

This SHOULD give me full playability, and a fully working RED head, until i get some free time to pull ted apart, Repair his problem, and repair Q56 section.

I think that should not cause any further board damage.

What are the thoughts on this???
Just being overly cautious.

Again thanks to all for helping me fix what seemed like a big problem and narrowing it down to a little fuse.

From now on i will check fuses just incase.

Now im about to let the kids get their first plays on our RS. THANKS!!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

What are the thoughts on this???

Yes that will work. If the harness looks like this, it is safe to used it for now.

red and ted head .jpgred and ted head .jpg

Quoted from SPARKY70:

A year ago, you posted a diagram for me, for a start button light issue, i was impressed then and never forgot it.

Yeah, found it.
nice picture.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-start-button-light-does-not-work-hs-ii#post-2535186

#41 7 years ago

Sounds like your almost there. Great Job!

Fuses are not a perfect protection system especially if a fault happens in the electronics. They are there mainly to stop your machine from burning to the ground rather than protecting individual electronic parts. The fuse needs to be big enough to handle the normal current draw but small enough to prevent a fire which they do most of time. Some faults can actually draw less current than the fuse rating or alternately the fuse can't act quick enough as it relies on heat to blow.

#42 7 years ago

Hi guys. Been very hectic the past few days. Finally got a chance to disconnect ted, and put fuse 105 back in.

Red works great, so ill get to ted as soon as i get the time again.

Otherwise gameplay is great, and my kids (and wife) are really enjoying it thanks to everyones help.

Thanks again!! Sparky

#43 7 years ago

Good to hear!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-s-help-needed-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.