• Latest reply 6 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1183 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am having power issues with my BSD. Game resets after a minute or two of play and always when both flippers are pressed. I am going through the pinwiki checklist. I am down to the J101 bad connection topic. At some point in the life of this machine the blue wires were put into a smaller connector and the red wires were soldered to the pins. Also the red wires were cut and spliced back together with butt connectors. I had figured I found the issue, but when I test the voltage at TP2 it reads just over 5v. Does this mean the issue lies elsewhere despite the shoddy work on j101?

#2 6 years ago

If the red wires are soldered directly the issue is likely someplace else.

#3 6 years ago

J101, J102 and J114 on the power driver board as well as J210 or whatever on the CPU. Check those for tarnished pins. Capacitors C4 and C5 both filter the +5V; so those can both cause issues as well with resets.

#4 6 years ago

Ok Thank you. Was hoping this was the case as the board looks to be a fairly new rottendog. The CPU board is original so I will start there.

#5 6 years ago

My Dirty Harry would have random resets, especially when cold. Looked at all the connectors on the Driver board. Saw that the connector at J102 were brown and burnt on a few pins. All I had was another connector on hand so I changed it out. No more resets after the repair. Also noticed a couple more connectors were a bit burnt so they were changed also. I made a video about burnt out connectors on my White Water when the GI stopped working.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ruddiger52:

I am down to the J101 bad connection topic. At some point in the life of this machine the blue wires were put into a smaller connector and the red wires were soldered to the pins. Also the red wires were cut and spliced back together with butt connectors.

Quoted from ruddiger52:

Ok Thank you. Was hoping this was the case as the board looks to be a fairly new rottendog. The CPU board is original so I will start there.

What? There are wires soldered directly to the pins of a new Rottendog board? Am I reading that correctly??? Undo the hacks. Replace the connectors on J101, J102, J114 and remove the splices and soldered on wires before going any further.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

My Dirty Harry would have random resets, especially when cold. Looked at all the connectors on the Driver board. Saw that the connector at J102 were brown and burnt on a few pins. All I had was another connector on hand so I changed it out. No more resets after the repair. Also noticed a couple more connectors were a bit burnt so they were changed also. I made a video about burnt out connectors on my White Water when the GI stopped working.
» YouTube video

Sweet just what I need. Great video!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

What? There are wires soldered directly to the pins of a new Rottendog board? Am I reading that correctly??? Undo the hacks. Replace the connectors on J101, J102, J114 and remove the splices and soldered on wires before going any further.

Yep. Will be replacing those connectors. Thx!

IMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1183 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from ruddiger52:

Yep. Will be replacing those connectors. Thx!

Wow.... now that was lazy of someone....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-resets-question-on-j101?hl=ruddiger52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.