5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by calfdemon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

Good Evening Everyone,

Trying to get a Fish Tales running and I’ve hit a wall. The game is setting at entirely random times, during game play, attract mode, etc. I’ve replaced a bad bridge rectifier and the corresponding capacitor, replaced the power connectors on the right hand side of the board (male and female). Lastly I installed a Kahr daughter board and the behavior has not changed.

Suggestions on where I should go from here?

Thanks,
    Joe

#2 5 months ago

Ive had similar issues recently. Reseating the asic chip on the cpu board took care of it.
    I would try a different 40 pin processor on the cpu as well. This was my issue on a similar issue as well.

#3 5 months ago

Those ribbon cables... they also can be problematic. Especially the one that connects the CPU to the Power Driver Board.

#4 5 months ago

Thank you both. Forgot to mention i has swapped the ribbon cable with a known good one. I reseatted the ASIC and its run for an hour now with no issue.

#5 5 months ago

Swap out cap C4 as well.

#6 5 months ago

It's the mpu board. I had this exact issue for almost 2.5 years. Drove me flipping nuts.

#7 5 months ago

I had a problem that was intermittent but seemed to fix when I reseated the 40 pin chip. Problem kept coming back. I reflowed the solder on the back very carefully and problem has never come back.

#8 5 months ago

Have you worked through all of the suggested fixes as suggested on Pinwiki? See here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#9 5 months ago

Try pressing in all the socketed chips on the MPU.

Some times I even have to repin J114 because the female pins plug in loosely compared to other connectors.

#10 5 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses - it was definitely the ASIC. Reseated it and got that real nice crunch sound from putting a chip back into a solid socket with 27 years of game dust coming off. Played a dozen games and have left it running for about 4 hours this morning with no issues.

Thanks,

Joe

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from JKirby:

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all the responses - it was definitely the ASIC. Reseated it and got that real nice crunch sound from putting a chip back into a solid socket with 27 years of game dust coming off. Played a dozen games and have left it running for about 4 hours this morning with no issues.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Well done, OP. Thank you for letting us know what specifically it was that was making this happen.

Resets when double-flipping is one thing. Completely random and erratic resets are a whole other animal. Definitely appreciate the insight!

1 week later
    #12 5 months ago

I know that you found your reset problem, but another common cause of these resets is the power fluctuation and the MPU doing a reset when it drops between 5v. I have had these issues with both my JD and SS. I will say that the daughter board created for these WPC machines solved my reset problems and I have never had another one since... best $30 I spent on those 2 machines...

http://www.kahr.us

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from calfdemon:

I know that you found your reset problem, but another common cause of these resets is the power fluctuation and the MPU doing a reset when it drops between 5v. I have had these issues with both my JD and SS. I will say that the daughter board created for these WPC machines solved my reset problems and I have never had another one since... best $30 I spent on those 2 machines...
    http://www.kahr.us

I am sure you mean well and please do not take this as a personal attack.

Plugging that board in is not the correct way to fix the problem. The correct way is to diagnose it through the PinWiki page, systematically eliminating things until you narrow it down to a handful of possibilities. If you ever go to sell your games, someone else is buying your problems, and trust me, those boards may work for a while - until the 12V circuit suffers too. Then it won't matter, your games will reset even with this magic bullet, and you'll be right back at PinWiki figuring it out, only now you'll have two circuits to diagnose. I know because this happened on my TAF, and the Kahr board did NOT stop my completely and totally random reset issue.

I am all about plugging that board in to "get through" a big event like league or a big party where everyone is playing the games for 4+ hours, but I absolutely do not agree as "plug and playing" that board in and forgetting that there is a more systemic problem back there.

#14 5 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I am sure you mean well and please do not take this as a personal attack.
    Plugging that board in is not the correct way to fix the problem. The correct way is to diagnose it through the PinWiki page, systematically eliminating things until you narrow it down to a handful of possibilities. If you ever go to sell your games, someone else is buying your problems, and trust me, those boards may work for a while - until the 12V circuit suffers too. Then it won't matter, your games will reset even with this magic bullet, and you'll be right back at PinWiki figuring it out, only now you'll have two circuits to diagnose. I know because this happened on my TAF, and the Kahr board did NOT stop my completely and totally random reset issue.
    I am all about plugging that board in to "get through" a big event like league or a big party where everyone is playing the games for 4+ hours, but I absolutely do not agree as "plug and playing" that board in and forgetting that there is a more systemic problem back there.

No offence taken.. I work through the PinWiki page and try to find the problems the best I can, and have solved some of the problems that I was having. But occasionally, there is a reset that pops up (always as the worst time) that I cant figure out. I buy the deluxe board that has the LED diagnostic lights on it and tells me when my machine would have reset and how bad the power loss was. If I start seeing regular problems, I dive in and try to figure out what is happening. But for the most part, my machines run without any regular resets. The 2 boards just keep them running so they dont reset once there is an issue. I don't leave them and forget about them. I actually check them from time to time. My games are also heavily modded which can take its toll as well. However, I have added secondary power sources and run most of my mods off of those power sources, only using the interactive mods plugged into the game power. SS does not have much of a problem with added mods in moderation. But JD does not like anything more than a color DMD. So machine depending, resets can come just off of an added strip of LED lights.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside