WPC reset and new WPC Power Fix does not solve

By swinks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Any help would be much appreicated, game reset once a few weeks ago on a very warm day so ordered a WPC Power Fix Daughterboard from Pinballlife. Today being a day of celebtration (b'day) so wanted to have a few games and quite a warm day mid 30's deg c and game reset straight away on turn on and somethimes when you play a game right at the beginning through to maybe a minute into the game. I pulled out the new WPC power fix board and install and still resets when playing.

any tips, only thing that I have done recently is flipper bats, coil sleeves and pivot bracket.

any help would be much appreciated

game is a CFTBL

#2 8 years ago

So how many mods do you have hooked up ? I know you love your mods lol.

#3 8 years ago

That daughter board is nice for a quick fix or the occasional low line voltage resets during summer months but the issue needs to be resolved the right way imo

#4 8 years ago

Are you running an air conditioner on the same line as the pin?
Happen to me the airconditioner was dropping the wall voltage down to 116volts.
My CFTBL would reset every time until we plugged it into a different outlet not on the same breaker as the air conditioner.

#5 8 years ago

The kahr board is more or less a band aid which doesn't actually fix the underlying problem.

Here is a troubleshooting guide to get you started:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The kahr board is more or less a band aid which doesn't actually fix the underlying problem.
Here is a troubleshooting guide to get you started:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Yes, follow that guide (or Clays guide) 9/10 times the repairs to the main power board will fix it.

However, we have found lately that a number of early WPC boards are being effected by the blue Philips caps (there are some on each board) drying out. They are over 20 years old now ... we have had a Dredd and a WCS both effected by this, we did all the usual fixes to the main power board, and they were better, but they would still occasionally reset. Going through each board and replacing the blue caps sorted it. Both these machines had been in storage a long time ... I don't know if that had played a part in the caps demise.

Do all the tantalum caps while you're at it, they are 20 years old now and are all about to die. I had a Fish Tales sound board shoot out sparks like the 4th of July a few weeks ago, luckily I was standing there staring at it when I fired it up. All from a expired tantalum.

rd

#7 8 years ago

cheers guys, currently only have the tail fin mod running off linked inserts and snackbar running off GI and poster static mod running off GI so not alot of mods

air was not one so game on in a mid to low 30 degree cel environment, as a nice sea breeze coming through.

I know the the wpc fix board is a band aid so will get the board serviced soon, more hoping to enjoy a few games today as down to one pin at the moment. I re-seated all the connectors on the dmd and driver board as the game hasn't moved or boards been touched for a few years (been hassle free) and managed to get a few games without issue so far with out the fix board installed. see how we go....

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated and will go through the guides over the next day or so to try and pin point a basic issue if any

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yes, follow that guide (or Clays guide) 9/10 times the repairs to the main power board will fix it.
However, we have found lately that a number of early WPC boards are being effected by the blue Philips caps (there are some on each board) drying out. They are over 20 years old now ... we have had a Dredd and a WCS both effected by this, we did all the usual fixes to the main power board, and they were better, but they would still occasionally reset. Going through each board and replacing the blue caps sorted it. Both these machines had been in storage a long time ... I don't know if that had played a part in the caps demise.
Do all the tantalum caps while you're at it, they are 20 years old now and are all about to die. I had a Fish Tales sound board shoot out sparks like the 4th of July a few weeks ago, luckily I was standing there staring at it when I fired it up. All from a expired tantalum.
rd

are the tanalum caps the long white blockie components - sorry, should read the guide.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

are the tanalum caps the long white blockie components - sorry, should read the guide.

tantalium caps usually look somewhat like raindrops.

The long rectangles are resistors with a wattage rating of 5W or more. The reason they are so much bigger than the standard 1/4w resistors you're accustomed to seeing is that they can handle more current and dissipate the heat better.

On the PCB, there are various letters and numbers printed, such as R22, Q5, C23, etc. The letters give you an idea of what the component is--
R = resistor
D = diode
C = capacitor
F = fuse
Q = transistor
TP = test point (for checking voltage)
J = Connector Jack
P = Connector Plug
L or LED = LED
W (or sometimes J) = jumper
BR = Bridge Rectifier
SR = Serial Resistor network

The number that follows the letter is a reference to where you can find the labeled component on the parts list or schematics so you can find the part number or attributes of that component.

#10 8 years ago

Just went down this path this last weekend with my Creech - followed the guide (I was going to put in the Kahr board, but never needed to - btw) got to the +5V measurement between the driver & mpu and realized the delta was high - and since the header pins had been replaced (as both MPU and driver had been gone through by Clive) I figured it was time to take the wire harness out and possible redo the IDC connectors - wrereupon I realized the power harness between the MPU and driver took a nice little trip up to the Fliptronics board at J904..... reseated that - voltage came back up at the MPU - no more resets...not saying this directly applies to you - but a nice little thing to note for others....must say J904 was never mentioned in the guide...just something I did....

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

as a nice sea breeze coming through.

That could also cause issues over time

#12 8 years ago

cheers guys, will look at it tomorrow

#13 8 years ago

My Roadshow started having resets and the Kahr board solved the problem nicely for a year or more.
Then the problem came back and I had to have the driver board rebuilt correctly.
Yes, Kahr board will help and may solve the problem, but you may eventually need to fix it by rebuilding.

#14 8 years ago

Add on boards to fix these problems are nothing more than temporary band-aids that don't work for all problems and do not address the actual issues. Bane of my existence! No such thing as a magic bullet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 24.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-reset-and-new-wpc-power-fix-does-not-solve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.