You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wpcbri4b (resized).jpg
LM323K (resized).jpg
20180126_155038 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have reset issues on Indy 500. I've read the pinwiki section on resets, it just isn't clear on a couple of points. I sometimes get a reboot right at start up, and other times I can play for a few minutes, and seems more likely when flipping both flippers.

Pinwiki mentions 9VAC coming from the transformer. At J101, I measured 7.8V - 8.0 V on pin1 and 7.3V - 7.8V on pin2 after a few tests and reseating connectors.

BR2 output is 8.64V and TP2 is 4.99V. Pinwiki says about 9V: is 8.64V close enough? Or is this lower because of the lower AC in I'm seeing?

Any thoughts on whether these readings indicate problem is before the board, or should I keep investigating?

#2 6 years ago

It sounds like you are measuring J101 pin 1 and 2 using the board ground screw or ground braid wire. Actually on AC voltage you need to measure J101 across pins 1 and 2 (both red wires). When I do on my Indy 500, I get 9.4Vac.

Measure C31+ to see if you get 4.90Vdc or higher (lose about .05v between J114 and J210). If it is lower than 4.90Vdc, then reseat J114 (voltage output to other boards), J101 (solenoid and flipper voltage), and J210 (MPU power connector). Sometimes I see a bigger difference in voltage due to loose pins on J114 when you compare them to how tight they feel when you plug them again vs. J101 or even J210.

If C31+ measures 4.95Vdc or higher, pull J101 and look to see if the pins 1 and 2 are dark/tarnished compared to the other pins. If they are, you need to repin it and replace the male pins on the board at J101. Sometimes the red wires become loose in the connector and you can see them wiggle around on the cut end of the wire as you move the solid end of the red wires.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for those tips. C31+ reads 5.0V, and ROM P32 also at 4.99V. J101 P1-P2 is 8.8VAC. It seems I need to investigate further as those appear okay.

#4 6 years ago

I just played a few games with DMD disconnected. No further resets, so I'll take a look at that carefully.

#5 6 years ago

I cleaned and reseated both sides of the DMD power connector, and resets are gone. Pins were a little tarnished. If it comes back, I'll replace those connectors.

#6 6 years ago

I can't see the DMD power connector causing resets.

Did you reseat any of these..J101, J102, J114, or J210?

#7 6 years ago

Seems you are right, maybe it was just good fortune. I only reseated particular connectors between testings, and it looked like it was the DMD connection. Pinwiki did mention an instance where DMD was to blame, but after more playing, I still got reset with DMD disconnected.

Then I checked the flipper coils, and did find a broken diode. I replaced that, but still got a reset, so the search continues.

Since I have 5.0 on the CPU board, I didn't think it would be that connector, but rather some kind of strain / drain issue. But I suppose it still could be those connectors after all.

#8 6 years ago

You have 5.0V on the board, but that's not under load. The flippers are drawing down that load, perhaps only a few tenths of a volts, enough to cause a reset. The board tolerance is EXTREMELY small. Even a bump down to 4.7V will cause a reset under the watchdog circuit. BR2/C5 are commonly replaced to alleviate this problem, but are rarely the root cause. Tarnished pins (sometimes INSIDE the IDC connectors aforementioned) can be enough to drop the voltage under load a few tenths of a volt.

Follow the Pinwiki steps, in order. You will find the cause(s)

#9 6 years ago

I eventually realized the times it seemed fixed after I did something was really just a matter of the machine having been on long enough to warm up. After about 5 or 10 minutes of being on, it no longer resets. I'll replace the thermistor once I get one to verify. Tomorrow morning rather than cold boot, I'll pre-heat the thermistor with heat gun and see if those resets go away.

#10 6 years ago

Following closely. My WCS just started doing this. Flippers seem week, pressed at the same time causes a reset. However, at any given time you can play a full game. My strategy is pull the board, replace all the 5v caps and reflow all the header pins.

#11 6 years ago

Frequently the bridge rectifiers and caps are recommended to be replaced - but in 3 PDB I’ve had issues with, all 3 had a bad voltage regulator. You can replace a bad one with the P5US which is much more stable and does not generate any heat, which is always a good thing.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I only reseated particular connectors between testings,

I still don't see which connectors did you reseat .J101, J102, J114, or J210?

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Then I checked the flipper coils, and did find a broken diode. I replaced that, but still got a reset, so the search continues

That is a good catch. On top of that, you need to test the resistance on that flipper coil. One winding should be about 5 ohms and the other winding should be about 160 ohms. You still may have a problem here if your game is resetting when hitting only that one flipper.

#13 6 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I reseated each of those connectors between test plays. Sometimes it seemed like I had fixed it, but then I noticed the coil.

That coil was a mess, and the whole diode was missing. I decided to remove the whole coil and replace both diodes on it. It took a while, and when I finished, the machine was resetting like crazy. I wondered if I messed something up on the coil, that was the only change, but I measured the coil and it was good, and I did a careful job with the diodes, removing all old solder and old diode legs. After more test playing, the resets subsided. I finally realized it was the machine was getting warmed up.

This morning, before turning on, I heated up the thermistor with my heat gun until it was hot to touch. I turned on, and still got a reset. I really thought that would be it. Then I played for a couple minutes, another reset. Then I played for 15 minutes, no more resets. Is there anything else that could be warming up and work better?

I'm going to let it cool down and read voltages on cold start and after it warmed up for a while.

#14 6 years ago

http://www.kahr.us/image/2016-side-view.jpg

Just get one of these, end your problems with reset's until you find what's causing your resets!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is there anything else that could be warming up and work better?

Yes, I experienced this a lot with J101 connector on my Dr. Who, especially when the machine was first turned on. I was able see the red wires move around in the IDC connector as I touched the wires and I could easily see tarnishing on pins 1 and 2 (red wires). I had to even replace the header pins on the board at J101.

Try using a flat head screwdriver and push in the red wires on J101 a bit and see what happens. 20180126_155038 (resized).jpg20180126_155038 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

So I hooked up clip to TP2 and to meter to watch the voltage from cold boot. It starts at 4.95V. In about 1 minute it climbs to 5.0V. In another 5 minutes it slowly reaches 5.05V. Playing with J101 (thanks for the reminder to keep checking this), pressuring it just right I can get the voltage up to 5.07V.

I was going to replace the connector with trifurcon when my crimper I ordered arrives anyway, but the way I played and torqued with J101 made me suspect the header and pressing the wires in better didn't really change. So I pulled the board and replaced the header. This board has some pretty ugly soldering work on it.

But interesting is that it looks like someone tried to do the voltage boost trick on the regulator. But what is going on here? Why 2 series diodes rather than a resistor? Does that do the same thing? Or was this someone reversing the hack, pulling the resistor and putting in diodes instead? The other oddity is I'm not sure this is effective anyway, because this board seems to have the path to ground still on the front side via C9. Should I cut that trace to allow this boost trick to work?

LM323K (resized).jpgLM323K (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Looking forward to hearing results after you repin the J101 connector. Do you see any tarnishing on the pins of the wired connector?

#18 6 years ago

Before putting the board back, I was hoping to get some thoughts on these other changes, and whether I should try to finish it or leave it or what.

There was definitely tarnish, and very ugly solder on the underside.

Also, forgot to mention, if I didn't start any game until after 5 minutes, letting the voltage rise, there were no resets at all.

#19 6 years ago

Personally, I would leave the modification on the back of the board as is on the voltage regulator. It is actually helping to keep the voltage at the steady 5volts.

#20 6 years ago

But what about the trace to C9 that pinwiki mentions?

#21 6 years ago

Well, the whole thing is not exactly as Pinwiki shows, including that black jumper wire. There just different ways to tackle issues sometimes. Some say removing the C9 does the same thing as cutting the trace, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

#22 6 years ago

There is a nicely made modern replacement for the regulator: https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.Wn4CY8qIbmo

It runs cooler and has an adjustable output.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

There is a nicely made modern replacement for the regulator: https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.Wn4CY8qIbmo
It runs cooler and has an adjustable output.

The PSU5 effectively ups your voltage capability, without having to do that Pinwiki "last resort hack". It's also easier to install. Highly recommended..

#24 6 years ago

Well, I fixed the 5V. It boots to 5.05V right away now after changing header and connector, doing some other relevant resoldering and swapping C4 to 470uf.

But, I read some other advice, to always jumper BR2 to C5 because of ... traces ... solder... blah blah. So I did. Except I didn't. I jumpered to C11 right next to it instead. Argh. Now I get to test what I wrecked for 12V! Anyone know what this would do?

I'm getting the Check F114 / F115 Fuses error on boot up now.

#25 6 years ago

It appears from the on board test procedure BR1 is fully open. Blah, made a simple fix more difficult. Should have stuck to just doing the header and connector!

I have to order parts. Any thoughts on if it is just BR1, or what else should I order as a precaution? Hate to replace BR1 and find something else broken too, only to order again.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Well, I fixed the 5V. It boots to 5.05V right away now after changing header and connector

Progress. I like hearing that.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I read some other advice, to always jumper BR2 to C5 because of ... traces

Well, I found it may only be needed if someone changed the big capacitor and bridge rectifier. These are actually tough to remove without damaging the board.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm getting the Check F114 / F115 Fuses error on boot up now.

Uh oh. Sorry to hear that. Did you test any fuses with your meter? What red LEDs are lit on your power driver board?

#27 6 years ago

Unfortunately, I verified all the 12V LEDs are out and the TPs are each under 1V. Seems something happened right at power entry to the board. I don't understand why that harmed the bridge, but the readings indicate it's open from all positions.

I have a new bridge on the way.

#28 6 years ago

Big bummer. 2 voltages shorted together and only one was bound to win. I'm surprised the 5v didn't get knocked out instead.

1 week later
#29 6 years ago

My bridge arrived today, and I installed it. But that did not solve the problem, even replaced the caps for good measure. Nope, same thing. I finally tried to figure out by theory what I might have wrecked by the previous misswiring. As mentioned I jumpered BR2 to C11 instead of C5. But the polarity was not mismatched at least. I just assumed when I re-installed and 12V was all out, and saw that mistake, I must have blown out the 12V. But now I checked the schematics, and C11 isn't even in the 12V chain. I was stumped for a bit, but finally just tried to trace the incoming 12V power. The very first step from J101 to F114 didn't have continuity.

When I installed the header, I somehow lost continuity to the fuse. I still don't know how or why, everything looks good. I re-soldered a couple of times, but couldn't get continuity. I finally gave up and just jumpered the pins to the fuse. Re-installed the board and everything is fine.

Oh well, at least I improved my board work and debugging skills. Next time, just basic tracing of steps and check schematics, rather than make assumptions!

#30 6 years ago

These jumper mods are pulled from the old pinball repair site that was taken down years ago, Hope they help.

WPC and WPC-S Driver Board Jumpers:
For reference, the driver board is positioned with the solder side showing, and connector J104 at the "top". All jumpers added to the solder side of the driver board.
BR2 to C5: two jumpers. Jumper the positive lead of bridge BR2 to the positive lead of C5. Repeat for the negative leads also.
BR1: ONE jumper. Jumper the AC lead of BR1 (just below the positive lead) to connector J101 pin 7.
C6/C7: jumper the two positive leads of capacitors C6 and C7 together (this also jumpers also helps BR1).
C6: Add another jumper from the positive lead of C6 to TP8 (Test Point 8, 18 volt DC). Note this jumper is not shown in the picture below.
BR3: three jumpers. Jumper the lower AC lead of BR3 (just below the positive lead) to connector J104 pin 1. Jumper the other upper AC lead (to the left of the positive lead) to connector J104 pin 2. Jumper the positive lead of BR3 to the large solenoid fuse trace about 2" below the bridge (see picture below).
BR4: three jumpers: Jumper the negative lead of BR4 to the negative lead of C11. Jumper the AC lead of BR4 (just above the negative lead) to connector J102 pin 1. Jumper the other lower AC lead of BR4 (just below the positive lead) to connector J104 pin 4.
BR5 to C30: two jumpers: Jumper the positive lead of BR5 to the positive lead of C30. Repeat for the negative leads also.

All the above jumpers have been installed. The most important jumper
is the one from BR2 to C5 (the gray wires). Note the "+" (offset leg)
of the bridge goes to the "+" lead of the associated capacitor. The
"-" lead of the bridge is diagonal to the offset "+" lead. Shown is a
WPC and WPC-S style driver board.

wpcbri4b (resized).jpgwpcbri4b (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

What a mess.....looks like spaghetti Bolognese to me. I am sorry to say that. When I do not trust the plated holes anymore I just drill a few 1mm holes and create "new" plated holes, which connect top traces to bottom traces. Easy and nice looking. And no problems in case you need to remove a capacitor or rectifier again.

Also, I Always install a small jumper between the minus (-) terminal from C5 to the ground trace to the LM323 regulator.

The engineer who routed this PCB should have his ass kicked. When creating a power supply you should have nice big power planes and traces as short as possible for the power lines. Look at the GND traces from C5 and especially the LM323...... one of the contributions to the infamous reset problem......

#32 6 years ago

I think what threw me off the first time, I looked rather quickly and checked the cap nearest to the bridge, saw it was C5 and went ahead. But that "C5" referred to the lower cap, not the upper, which was labelled above as C11. Need to measure twice and cut once next time.

Do you put the jumpers in only if you are changing the related components? I replaced BR1, C7, C8, and did one jumper from BR1+ to one of caps that hole didn't look completely intact. That's a nice reference pic, thanks. I'm selling this machine to someone new to pinball and am considering adding those other jumpers, if this is good general bullet-proofing that might save some future trouble?

I'm going to look for some 1mm threw holes too, sounds like good to have on hand for this.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Do you put the jumpers in only if you are changing the related components? I replaced BR1, C7, C8, and did one jumper from BR1+ to one of caps that hole didn't look completely intact.

I only ever add jumpers if the related through hole to both sides of the board look sketchy or has an issue. Otherwise, seems like overkill and it makes me think when I look at a board with all these jumpers that someone did a lot of damage taking parts out.

1 week later
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I only ever add jumpers if the related through hole to both sides of the board look sketchy or has an issue. Otherwise, seems like overkill and it makes me think when I look at a board with all these jumpers that someone did a lot of damage taking parts out.

I agree!!! The Kahr daughter board is wonderful. Had power down resets on my Indy 500 and thing of the past now. Thought about adding to all my games to avoid future issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
€ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-reset-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.