5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bong on DAC (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what did you find?

I just repaired a batch of 8 of these style boards. On all of them the small blue axial electrolytic caps were bad in addition to the two large 4700uf caps. I think some of these were out of reimported games and most had at least some blown tantalum caps. I typically replace all of those too now.

2 years later
#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

WPC sound boards will not boot without the ribbon cable plugged in. Some say they will ....but they do not.
And checked all of the ic's with a dmm on the board and all test good. Hmmm. Time to check the ribbon cable header......
Thoughts?

Actually the WPC sound cards are supposed to boot when powered on the bench. The can also be reset by the main MPU of the game it is in. That may be the reason you didn’t get a bong noise upon power up. I ran into a board exhibiting a similar issue. Occasionally I would hear a bong on the bench but not often. If I didn’t hear it I could bring pin 33 on the ribbon cable high to 5V which causes a reset then the bong would sound. But that didn’t explain why it didn’t do it every time on its own. It was a reset issue. Digging deeper I noticed the sound card has a 4584 instead of a 74LS04 like the schematic shows but that doesn’t seem to matter. The on board reset is done by a simple Resistor R27 470k and capacitor C31 .001uf but the values they choose doesn’t seem to be inline with any of the other reference designs I’ve seen using the 6809EP processor. Swapped out C31 with a .1uf axial ceramic capacitor. Now it boots on the bench every time. Would be interesting to hear if you still have that old sound card if you could try swapping that capacitor and see if the bong sound comes back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-pre-dcs-sound-board-no-bong-but-board-still-works?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.