Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC Power Board LEDs (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
6AECFB4F-0B5A-45D8-BD46-F850A7DF0186 (resized).jpeg
EA3E6103-E3F9-4198-B438-C204D1B75C5D (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

So my friend reached out and said he had a couple games go down. I swung out tonight to see if I could poke around and get a fresh set of eyes on his games for him. TAF I think I figured out, but STTNG is freaking weird.

Turn the game on, you hear the speaker pop, that is it. no dmd, nothing. I opened the backbox and it looks like the MPU isn't booting up all the way. D19 stays lit and D20 is blinking twice ever few seconds. So that would say U8 is bad....but from searching quick, usually you see some dmd messages still.

I had to leave to go home, but my thinking is 5v and/or 12v is off. and I should be probing test points on the power driver board.

Game was working fine and then one day....nothing. Thoughts?

6AECFB4F-0B5A-45D8-BD46-F850A7DF0186 (resized).jpeg6AECFB4F-0B5A-45D8-BD46-F850A7DF0186 (resized).jpegEA3E6103-E3F9-4198-B438-C204D1B75C5D (resized).jpegEA3E6103-E3F9-4198-B438-C204D1B75C5D (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Turn the game on, you hear the speaker pop, that is it. no dmd, nothing. I opened the backbox and it looks like the MPU isn't booting up all the way. D19 stays lit and D20 is blinking twice ever few seconds. So that would say U8 is bad....I had to leave to go home, but my thinking is 5v and/or 12v is off. and I should be probing test points on the power driver board.

Game was working fine and then one day....nothing. Thoughts?

I think your on the right track, the processor is in blanking (not booting) and flashing you the RAM failure code, your +5V could be low or there could be other issues with connectors or ribbon cables causing this that can cause blanking but these wouldn't give you a RAM failure.

You actually have a lot of options here, I would check voltage first as this is just a good practice. If I suspected the RAM, I would simply pull the CPU boards from both ADDAMS and STTNG and simply swap them into the other machine; obviously you will need to swap the ROMS on both boards. On the board that came out of STTNG, I would press down on ASIC and processor before installing it in ADDAMS; at this point if the original STTNG CPU board is still flashing a RAM failure you know its the issue.

Good Luck

EDIT: Was this already done? I just noticed that the CPU board you currently have in STTNG has a Bally-Midway 20017 Serial Number label on it meaning it came out of an Addams Family machine

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 3 years ago

First thing to try is always reseating the MPU Ribbon cable on both sides

Do that a couple of times (gently!!) to wear down any corrosion. Also check for battery acid damage. I had a SS which flaked out ON THE DAY I was selling it because of batter damage

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I think your on the right track, the processor is in blanking (not booting) and flashing you the RAM failure code, your +5V could be low or there could be other issues with connectors or ribbon cables causing this that can cause blanking but these wouldn't give you a RAM failure.
You actually have a lot of options here, I would check voltage first as this is just a good practice. If I suspected the RAM, I would simply pull the CPU boards from both ADDAMS and STTNG and simply swap them into the other machine; obviously you will need to swap the ROMS on both boards. On the board that came out of STTNG, I would press down on ASIC and processor before installing it in ADDAMS; at this point if the original STTNG CPU board is still flashing a RAM failure you know its the issue.
Good Luck
EDIT: Was this already done? I just noticed that the CPU board you currently have in STTNG has a Bally-Midway 20017 Serial Number label on it meaning it came out of an Addams Family machine
[quoted image]

Thank you! Ah man, if I try swapping I may want a better rom puller. What changes does that picture show? I see a bunch of lighlighted led's or just places of voltage to test?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First thing to try is always reseating the MPU Ribbon cable on both sides
Do that a couple of times (gently!!) to wear down any corrosion. Also check for battery acid damage. I had a SS which flaked out ON THE DAY I was selling it because of batter damage

I was unplugging and plugging and the ones at the mpu and driver were kind of "rough" when pulling/pushing. Since they are small is a way to clean via toothbrush and alcohol?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What changes does that picture show? I see a bunch of lighlighted led's or just places of voltage to test?

In the diagram the highlighted yellow dots are Test Points (TP) where you can measure the voltage with a DMM - the red writing in the diagram next to the TP is what voltage you should expect. There are also red dots highlighting the various LEDs on the board, these give you a general indication (the below shows what each LED is for) however measuring the specific voltage with a DMM at the TPs can help pinpoint an issue

WPC Power Board LEDs (resized).JPGWPC Power Board LEDs (resized).JPG
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What changes does that picture show? I see a bunch of lighlighted led's or just places of voltage to test?

Yellow are voltage test points, red are the LEDs associated with the test point numbers.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

if I try swapping I may want a better rom puller

A small bladed screwdriver works very well but I like this tool better:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26810-5-7-Inch-Precision-Lifter/dp/B00433SJB2

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yellow are voltage test points, red are the LEDs associated with the test point numbers.

OHHH I thought that picture was some TSB for a upgrade wms had posted. I see, I'll shoot that over to my friend to see if he can see and check those. Not sure when I'll be back out. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-power-but-no-boot-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.