• Latest reply 4 years ago by Priam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

58489627135__A1744A4A-ABEB-4C2A-BFEA-788F8C5628E7 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I've recently acquired a TAF, it was dirty (but running) so I took it apart and have been cleaning it.

I have not cleaned the playfield yet, however, I have cleaned and reassembled all components in the cabinet and the backbox.

Without reinstalling and connecting the playfield, can I run individual component diagnostics? Simply to check the components I have reassembled so far. Should I even attempt it? Or is it a bad idea even to hook up power w/o the playfield?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Maybe, but obviously no playfield related diagnostics will be valid. There will be errors showing for some of the playfiels switches.

I recommend to check everything twice, schematics help. Test everything once the playfield is back in.

#3 4 years ago

You will not damage anthing.

Not sure what you plan on learning without the playfield being plugged in since 90% of the diagnostic tests are with the playfield plugged in.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Priam:

I've recently acquired a TAF, it was dirty (but running) so I took it apart and have been cleaning it.
I have not cleaned the playfield yet, however, I have cleaned and reassembled all components in the cabinet and the backbox.
Without reinstalling and connecting the playfield, can I run individual component diagnostics? Simply to check the components I have reassembled so far. Should I even attempt it? Or is it a bad idea even to hook up power w/o the playfield?
Thanks!

Sure you can. You can make sure the game boots as it should. You can make sure the lights all work in the head. Also check any cabinet switches. It's not much but nothing wrong with it.

#5 4 years ago

Yep...and later on, if you have the playfield close enough to the machine, you can run through lamp and switch tests on the partially assembled playfied to check out the stuff that's hard to get at after its fully assembled.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yep...and later on, if you have the playfield close enough to the machine, you can run through lamp and switch tests on the partially assembled playfied to check out the stuff that's hard to get at after its fully assembled.

I do it all the time.

58489627135__A1744A4A-ABEB-4C2A-BFEA-788F8C5628E7 (resized).JPG58489627135__A1744A4A-ABEB-4C2A-BFEA-788F8C5628E7 (resized).JPG
#7 4 years ago

Thanks everyone! Its mostly to test the voltages at the test points, and double-check what I have wired up so far is correct.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,159.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-partial-diagnostics-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.