View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hey all! First time posting a thread and hoping the amazing community can help a first time EM owner out. I picked up a WPC OXO a while back and have been cleaning everything on it, as it sat in a basement for the last 30 years. Let me tell you, this thing was dirty. I got everything cleaned up (steppers, switches, etc.) and working except for a couple things:

First is the top center O and X switches dont seem to register. The contacts were cleaned with iso and a light “sanding” with a business card, and one was adjusted so that the contacts made contact when the ball rolled over the switch. Even after cleaning and adjusting, they still dont work. I cant imagine the leaf switches are bad, but I really dont know.

The second problem is that the pop bumper lights do not stay lit when the A and B targets are hit. The inserts and pop bumpers light for a fraction of a second and then go dark. Maybe I dont know how they activate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JAY

#2 3 years ago

Did you clean the Jones plugs? If everything is clean and adjusted properly that could be the issue. I always burnish the male plug ends with a wire wheel on a dremel. The female portion is a little more difficult, but I slightly bend the little tips that bend inward to insure a good connection.

#3 3 years ago

I did clean the jones plugs. I also used a wire wheel on my dremel. And I used a .17 cal gun cleaning brush to clean the female ends. I could try bending the female ones slightly and see if that helps. Now to figure out which ones need to be re-cleaned/adjusted...

Thanks for the tip on bending the female ones in just a bit to ensure a good connection.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

the pop bumper lights do not stay lit when the A and B targets are hit. The inserts and pop bumpers light for a fraction of a second and then go dark

The Trough switch with a yellow wire on one side and a brown&green wire on the other side is probably dirty or out of adjustment. It's probably located at the bottom of the playfield where the ball can open it when it gets kicked across from the outhole to the plunger.

#5 3 years ago

The "A relay" and "B relay" will energize momentarily via the L. TARGET SW. and R. TARGET SW. They stay energized via a self-hold switch (labelled "A-RE" and "B-RE" in the schematic) -- both through the TROUGH SW. as Howard explains. Since both targets are not working right, the common TROUGH SW. is the likely culprit. It is "normally closed" so make sure it is in the closed state. Clean it, make sure the contacts are solidly touching, no wires broken off etc.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 3 years ago

Thank you for the help gents. I gently filed the contacts for the trough switch and it is normally closed, but opens when the ball is ejected into the shooter lane. I double checked the “A” and “B” relays and all those switches seem to be as they should. I attached a pic of the trough switch, the B relay and the A relay.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

It seems that the pop bumper lights do come on, but only for players 2-4 if you score 25K points. Still nothing on player 1 though. It also seems I have a score reel that doesnt want to reset on player 4. Pretty sure that just needs to be more thoroughly cleaned. I also have the left side rollover switch now not working. The switch is clean and functioning as intended. Wire connections seem good.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

To test bypassing the trough switch entirely, jumper from the brown-green wire to the yellow wire on the switch right beside it. It can be any wire that connects to common on the transformer but the yellow on the neighbouring switch is handy. This bypasses the trough switch.

See if the "A relay" will now stay energized.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 3 years ago

Thanks again for the help dr_nybble and @howardr. It turns out one of the switches on the 4-X relay was open when it should have been closed. This fixed everything and it plays great! I guess it pays to go through all the switches twice, cause I swear I checked all those when I cleaned them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-oxo-issues?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.