4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by debaser
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got a WPC driver board that has no 5v but all the other voltages are good. I have 8.7v as measured at the positive leg of BR2 and at the input leg of the LM323. On the output leg of the LM323 I have .38v. I thought that the LM323 was failing under load so I replaced it with a PSU5 LM323 replacement but still had no 5v. With the PSU5 installed, I was seeing 12.4v at the positive leg of BR2 and input leg of the PSU5 and 0v on the output leg of the PSU5. D3 and D38 test fine. C4 was showing only 38uf with my ESR meter so I replaced it with a new 100uf 10v axial cap. I also replaced BR2 and C5 but no change. I've checked continuity and everything looks good for the 5v circuit.

Any ideas?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Broken through-hole at C9? Unless you are measuring your regulator input across C9, you are getting a false reading on the true voltage differential into the regulator.

I'm showing a dead short (0 ohms) across C9, which I assume is bad. I need to pull the board and unsolder one end of that capacitor and see how it reads.

#5 4 years ago

So I had a chance to dig back into this today and got it figured out. I was seeing a short across C9 when the driver board was installed in the cab but no short when it was on my bench. I powered up the driver board with just J101, J102, J103 and J104 connected and I'm getting a good 5v. When the MPU board is connected to the driver board then I see a short across C9 and no 5v. If I unplug just the power connector at the MPU, I get 5v at the driver board again.

The game was working fine previously but I was having some issues with lights in the backbox not working so I pulled the driver board to see if there were cracked solder joints on the GI header pins. While I had it out I tested C4 and it was measuring 38uf with my ESR so I installed a new 100uf axial cap. That was all I did to it. Reinstalled the driver board and now this is happening.

Then I remembered that I had tightened down some of the mounting screws for the MPU board when I reinstalled the driver board originally. Thinking one or more of the mounting screws was shorting the 5v, I discovered that the top right and the bottom right screws are causing the short since the short goes away if they are removed and the game works fine. There are no wires or anything else under those screws or the board. This is a TwoBits MPU board and it looks like those two screws that have the washers with teeth on them are touching the 5v line when they are screwed in tight.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

That will do it everytime, glad you got it figured out; this is a know problem with the TwoBits CPU board, most use nylon washers on the top side to prevent this from happening.

Good to know! I was not aware of this as I've never had a TwoBits CPU board. I'm a bit surprised it's not documented on pinwiki.com.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-no-5v?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.