Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Attempted to fix an intermittent reset issue on my STTNG. C5 seemed to have a small bulge so I decided to replace all bridge rectifiers (BR1-5) and capacitors (C2,4,5,6,7,8,11,30) on the power driver board to fix the issue, and safeguard against future failed components. In hindsight, I shouldn't have messed with the components that were still working. After finishing the job, all TPs checked out fine except TP8, which is registering 0.5 Vdc versus 18 Vdc. For troubleshooting, I removed and re-soldered BR1 and C6/7, replaced fuse F114, and verified continuity through the entire 18 Vdc circuit. I'm completely stumped because the regulated 12 Vdc at TP3 is fine. Also, LED6 is working. Only the lamps aren't working (GI and all solenoids, flashers are ok) so TP8 is giving an accurate reading. J101 pins 4 and 7 to GND are measuring 447mV and 435mV (seems reasonable); however, J101 pins 4 and 7 to TP8 start at 0V (if I discharge C6/7) then keep increasing until the multimeter shows an overload. These measurements led me to believe that BR1 wasn't making a proper connection, but continuity checks are ok, and I'm getting 12.1 Vdc out of TP3. What am I overlooking? Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

If you are not careful when de-soldering components you can rip out the through-hole-plates connecting the other side of the board.

Check continuity on each side of the board through the legs of the big caps... pad-to-pad.

Electronics is not my strength but this has bit me before. I had to add a stitch to complete the circuit.
faz

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3 4 years ago

SOLVED: C6 negative top trace wasn't making a connection to C7 negative top trace.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from blovesj:

C5 seemed to have a small bulge so I decided to replace all bridge rectifiers (BR1-5) and capacitors (C2,4,5,6,7,8,11,30) on the power driver board to fix the issue

I die a little inside everytime I read this

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 63.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-no-18vdc-on-power-driver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.