New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 234406)

WPC Lamp Issue - Resolved

By gripwhip

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfesler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

So, I thought I fixed a bad TIP 107 transistor which was causing double lighting on one of the columns. After replacement, everything worked great (about 4 games). Now, I am getting random lights with not much of a pattern. Column 1 (the one I replaced) is not working at all and getting multiple light on other lamps. Could it be the ULN2803? Other thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Did you install regular LEDs (not the non-ghosting) in the game?

If you go into single lamp test and see ones partially on when only one should be one, this would be one potential cause. You can install regular incandescent bulbs in place of the ones that are "ghosting" just to see if the issues go away.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, but this is not the issue. It is not a ghosting issue. I even have the non-ghosting ROM. It was working fine, and then I am having multiple weird lightings across the matrix. Thanks.

#4 1 year ago

Did you test the transistor for solder shorts between the pins after replacing it?

#5 1 year ago

I will checked that, but as I said it was working great for 4 games or so. I will pull the board again tomorrow.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from gripwhip:

I will checked that, but as I said it was working great for 4 games or so. I will pull the board again tomorrow.

You should be able to test it while it is in the game. Instead of using the middle solder pin, use the top tab, which is the same. That should be a bit easier to ohm between the pins while it is in the machine.

#7 1 year ago

I did that. It is testing fine. This is why I am concerned it is beyond the TIP 107.

#8 1 year ago

J137 and J138 are tied together on the driver board. Swap the wiring to the other connector not being currently used. If the column now works, then you have a broken solder joint on the board connector.

#9 1 year ago

Good idea. I will give it a try tomorrow.

#10 1 year ago

I tried it. No luck. I did fix column one again. Needed to redo the solder on the TIP 107, but still no luck on the random lighting.

#11 1 year ago

Some progress at least.

Do you have any mods that connect to any of the insert lamps? I've seen some connected to the wrong side of the diode and cause the same issue.

#12 1 year ago

Nope. I just have a ColorDMD installed.

I am sending the board to Clive for repair. I think one of the chips higher up the chain failed. Besides, it could use the CAPs and BRs probably replaced. Thanks for your help.

#13 1 year ago

Following!

#14 1 year ago

Best to confirm the board is faulty in BSD or move the driver from BSD. You could have a playfield issue.

#15 1 year ago

These do not fail very often. I seen many more issues with the J101 and J114 connectors causing low 5volts, which cause boot issues and I see C4 capacitor leak often, just as Pinwiki mentions.

#16 1 year ago

Nothing wrong with sending the board out if it is faulty.

Also, check into having NVRAM installed on your MPU board to get rid of the batteries. I love these things. I had installed over 200 already between all games I have worked on.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Best to confirm the board is faulty in BSD or move the driver from BSD. You could have a playfield issue.

I used to be able to that, but I only have Stern games now other than BSD. I guess I will find out when I get it back. It was just too many weird lamp issues to make me think it was a diode that suddenly went bad or a playfield short. Frustrating. I now get to wait....

#18 1 year ago

For some reason I was thinking this was on WCS. I'm in too many repair threads it seems.

A diode could be smashed up against the metal part of the #44 lamp socket or against a metal kicker bracket. Wouldn't hurt to look at all the #44 lamp sockets under the playfield for potentials.

4 weeks later
    #19 1 year ago

Update: I finally got the board back. It was not the board. It needed some connectors repaired and general bulletproofing, so I guess it was not all that bad other than the waiting.

I thought I must depressingly have a short somewhere so I started to try and figure out a pattern of the double/triple lighting. The single lamp test kept pointing to one socket that seemed to be lighting the majority of the time when it should have been off. I thought it might be the socket diode at first, so I replaced it. It buzzed on the diode test, but I think it was because I did not disconnect one leg. It seems like sometimes you need to do that and other times you don't need to do that.

Then I tried just removing the LED. The problem went away. I thought that was strange. I played with the socket some, checked the wiring, and put the LED back. It was the same issue. Next I tried a regular incandescent bulb. The problem went away again. I thought is this some weird ghosting LED issue??? I then tried a new LED. The problem went away and has not come back.

So, the actual problem was a bad LED. I guess the light emitting diode shorted on??? I guess that makes sense since it is a diode, but I really thought it was the board and then a playfield short.

I hope this help someone else and thanks for all the previous help.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for the follow up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    COINTAKER.COM
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet Parts
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 125.00
    $ 110.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside