(Topic ID: 179499)

WPC J106 20V wire off but flashers still working?

By rogerdodger

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flash alternate route.PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Well, here's an interesting one for you tech guys.

The single red (with white stripes) wire broke off of plug J106. According to the manual, this wire supplies 20v to the 4 flashers in the backbox.

I ordered the tool to enable me to reconnect the wire to the plug but, in the meantime, all 4 flashers still work, both during the game and in test mode. How can this be?

I physically traced the red wire back to the 4 flashers, just to be sure and, yes, sure enough, it's the wire that dropped off of the plug, so it is not getting power from anywhere!

This makes no sense to me. Where are the flashers getting their 20v from?

Thanks for your input guys.

Roger

#3 7 years ago

ToM

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Easy, from the other 6 flashers.
    the current will flow through the flashers that are not in use, making a path to J107

Wow, Zaza. You are good! Thank you.

But, if the flashers in the Backbox can pick up the current from the playfield flashers through J107, then why does the machine need the 20v from J106 in the first place?

Roger

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

In the first place because the flasher is not operating on 100% power but is in series with other flashers.
    That would already give problems when 2 flashers are driven at the same time resulting in 2 playfield flashers working at normal power and 6 others on 1/3 of power.

Great... thank you for the explanation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-j106-20v-wire-off-but-flashers-still-working?tu=rogerdodger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.