Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

230e3cd1-146a-4663-8f45-5e3401690703-original_(resized).png
    electroball_(resized).jpg
    Bally_(resized).jpg
    twister_(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    bly3201ballyhoo1_(resized).jpg
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    1334876945_evolution_(resized).jpg
    im-with-stupid-arrow-up-t-shirt_(resized).jpg
    Stern_Cash_Cow_(resized).jpg
    506a418bfb04d60a510012af._w.1500_s.fit__(resized).jpg
    EB_Backglass.jpg
    Whoa_Nellie_(resized).png
    e481d924b1e4b21bf5154c93f7972635_(resized).jpg
    3362c45f821d12f9f818f48a642f157638c40c4c_(resized).png
    amy_(resized).jpg
    There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

no worries. i enjoy a good internet argument.
    Sorcerer - i like it. he was my first, about 6 months ago. i don't think that's why though. i like the condition; that's important. easily above players, but i'm not looking for new playfields or anything. i like working on it. it's simple to work on. simple rule set, which is nice for quick games. most of friends ignore it for my newer games, which makes me sad.
    DM - he's gone. lasted about 4 months i think. side drains were so huge; so frustrating. and there were so many misses, especially to the left, that came flying back to center drain. multi-ball shot is a disaster; so tight. i just think the overall design was meh. i only had one friend that really liked it.
    HS2 - i fell in love immediately with this one. quick games, which can be annoying for people but it seems okay for this game to me. it could be the rom that came with it, some williams prototype, but i feel like scoring distribution is pretty bad. if you're not scoring jackpots, your score is worthless. maybe that's any game, but i think it's way worse on this one. love the layout. simple, almost as simple as sorcerer really. everything makes sense.
    WCS - love it. this could be partly because i've only had it a little over a month, however. way different than my other pins. looks like a lot going on it with it, but feels smooth, fast and well designed. ramp shots are very satisfying. playfield has some below average touchup on it, which sucks but i've stomached it so far. a few broken plastics. i'll get there though.
    i can max out to about 7 pins comfortably, but i honestly see only about 4-5 happening. eh, maybe 7 . i'm not spending a lot on any pin, but if a fresh off route top 10 title comes along anything is possible. the most i've spent on a pin so far is $2300, but i think i could handle $3500-4000.
    i think i do equal time tinkering/playing. i enjoy both equally, too, or it's close at least. one thing's for sure, i like watching people play them more than anything. they need to have non-pinball people appeal. like the sorcerer, no one plays him; he's gotta go.

Based on this, it really seems you enjoy tinkering and playing, but seeing others get joy out of a game is paramount. You also have space but a budget threshold and value nicer games. With that synopsis I think you will be happiest with staying in your wheel house. There are still lots of really fun and nice quality games in the sub 2k range. I would suggest looking at a game like Stargate if you want to branch out at all. It has a deep ruleset with lots of multiball action so noobs will enjoy it. It will most likely need some tweaking but is by far the most rock solid of any era/manufacturer once tuned in.

I would also concentrate on the 80s B/W/GTB games. Things with relatively simple rulesets to understand, gratifying shots, and yet hard to really master. They provide great bang for the buck, collectibility, and lastability in any collection.

Sys 11 games in particular sounds to be a good fit.

If going newer I would suggest a Judge Dredd. Great flow and fun factor is high.

Johnny also fits your MO.

cheers and good luck as you build the collection.

#102 7 years ago

The WPC era were some great games, but in general I much prefer Sterns now for both fun and reliability. There is nothing that I can't fix on a pinball machine, but after years and years of fixing poorly designed WPC machines it is nice to have games that you just set up and play without having to eff with them. I love games like IJ, WH2O, AFM and TZ, but I would trade them for ACDC, Metallica, GOT and GB in a heartbeat.

#103 7 years ago

Play more routed games, and discover the differences in manufacturers for yourself.
    You might really enjoy the adventure.
    Newer Stern titles are much more prevalent in local venues for basic reasons.
    They are not that hard to locate.
    If you were stating the question "WPC Guy Here. Should I Get a AGC, ZAC, or Gameplan?", that would be a different matter altogether.

#104 7 years ago

I get why some don't like Congo but I love it. Callouts and theme are a little strange but that's part of the charm for me. Love games with character. Tron sure looks like a great game but it just plays clunky to me. funny how they have such a similar layout and different feel. No worries. They sell for a lot so glad I don't feel the need to own one.

#105 7 years ago

Congo is by far my favorite game, I often consider selling my collection except congo and metallica which are my only 2 true keepers. So 1 wpc keeper and 1 stern keeper. Both company's made amazing games. Oh and I don't like tron at all. Wouldn't want one in my collection.

#106 7 years ago

It's strange how some Trons do feel Klunky, but mine does not. It feels like MMR that I played at TPF this year, it feels like my nib ST that I got last year.

The Tron LE at TPF felt klunky to me, Tron isn't for everyone , but those that like Tron a little, walk away loving the experience

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

It's strange how some Trons do feel Klunky, but mine does not. It feels like MMR that I played at TPF this year, it feels like my nib ST that I got last year.
    The Tron LE at TPF felt klunky to me, Tron isn't for everyone , but those that like Tron a little, walk away loving the experience

My Tron is very fast and fluid. I have ran into klunky Trons, and it's awful. The last LE I played felt terrible, and it totally bummed me out because I was excited to play it. I guess I've put all the extra time into getting mine nice and tight, which seems absolutely necessary to making the game the best it can be.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

nice and tight

who doesn't prefer nice and tight

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have a collection of early SS Bally and Sterns. Typically I crank up the back adjusters just to make things interesting. I recently purchased Tron and also cranked it up in the back. That was a big mistake. Played it like that for a day and hated it. Then I adjusted it to the designers spec with the bubble between the lines and magically everything made sense. LOTR was my favorite new Stern. It has been replaced by Tron. Total adrenalin. Do not play this game tired or casually because you will be just wasting your time.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

...Do not play this game tired or casually because you will be just wasting your time.

This is difficult. A combination of allergies and insomnia leave me in a tired state most of the time. Also, I do not own a tuxedo. If I have to go out and rent one just to play TRON formally that is just too much to ask.

#111 7 years ago

Pinball is no fun if you have to take a nap and psych yourself up just to play a game. Maybe that is why I never got the LOTR love.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

This is difficult. A combination of allergies and insomnia leave me in a tired state most of the time. Also, I do not own a tuxedo. If I have to go out and rent one just to play TRON formally that is just too much to ask.

I think business casual would be OK.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Pinball is no fun if you have to take a nap and psych yourself up just to play a game. Maybe that is why I never got the LOTR love.

LOTR is more of a marathon. A good game is a 40 minute time commitment. That's why it didn't stay around very long in my pinball league. It created a huge back up. A group of 3 top players could take an hour and a half to play LOTR. And that is with a ball busting tournament setup.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

LOTR is more of a marathon. A good game is a 40 minute time commitment. That's why it didn't stay around very long in my pinball league. It created a huge back up. A group of 3 top players could take an hour and a half to play LOTR. And that is with a ball busting tournament setup.

right. way too much stop and go on that game. I had it jacked way up and everything set to extra hard and it still took too long

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

That's baseball!

#116 7 years ago

I think you mean soccer

#117 7 years ago

OP there are great titles from both manufacturers, go out and play as many as possible. I was once a WPC only guy but found myself gravitating more towards the newer sterns if both were side by side. I prefer Sterns in a home environment because they generally have a much deeper rule set.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

• The Simpsons Pinball Party - 2003
    • Lord of the Rings - 2003
    • Spider-Man - 2007

For every decent Stern there's two mediocre to bad ones (ps. Spiderman wasn't a great seller initially). Williams had a lot better hit:miss ratio overall until Stern really found their groove in 2008.

They do definitely "feel" different, but they make some nice machines now.

#119 7 years ago

Why not? Variety is the spice of life.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Spiderman wasn't a great seller initially

Neither was MM or.......or MB. They were blowing out CV's NIB.

How much a game sells is not always a great indicator of how good a game is. Hell IM didn't sell well in 2010.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Neither was MM or.......or MB. They were blowing out CV's NIB.
    How much a game sells is not always a great indicator of how good a game is. Hell IM didn't sell well in 2010.

Twilight Zone was a firesale game.

#122 7 years ago

Tron and Woz are my lunch time games. I come home, eat a sandwich , and play one of them, I get my best scores then.

I don't play them casually either, I put on a suit and tie, usually go barefoot though

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Tron and Woz are my lunch time games.

Selling you my Tron has paid for quite a few lunches.

#124 7 years ago

I think what eventually wins over most WPC-only people is gameplay. Once you realize the Stern games are being designed and programmed by your favorite B/W designers/programmers...you realize there's almost nothing to be apprehensive about. Many Stern titles are an extension of what you loved about WPC games.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Many Stern titles are an extension of what you loved about WPC games.

What I loved a lot about WPC games was the mostly current and original themes. Stern is seriously lagging in that department. Especially lately.

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What I loved a lot about WPC games was the mostly current and original themes. Stern is seriously lagging in that department. Especially lately.

That's not going to change, but at least they've had some good use of themes. Ghostbusters is very well done. Stern has no interest in original themes though.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

That's not going to change

No, it's not. But as long as they are licensing 30 year old movies and has been rock stars instead of doing original themes, I won't be sending them any money.

Stern's dad Sam was way more cutting edge.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not really, he just existed in a different market condition. You could use the most generic themes and it was fine. Themes with licenses are far more key to success now.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Themes with licenses are far more key to success now.

At least Williams didn't overly dwell in the past with their licensed themes. They did a few, but were few and far between.

In fact some of Williams licensed themes are more current than what Stern is doing now.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At least Williams didn't overly dwell in the past with their licensed themes. They did a few, but were few and far between.

I'd say their use of themes before the movie came out bit them in the ass more often than helped. At least Stern waits for it to be successful.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For the most part, Stern's themes have been modern or at least culturally relevant. Ghostbusters is everywhere right now and it never really faded away over the past 30 years. Aerosmith is a dud license, whatever. But there's nothing old about Iron Man, X-Men, Avengers, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and much of their other themes. The old rockers stuff is only partially their fault. They can't control that there has been garbage for rock bands in the past decade or two.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of their highly rated games were not licensed........

#133 7 years ago

It's the same old argument.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Twilight Zone was a firesale game.

Yes, it was, as an overstock.
    Many people here were not around in the hobby when it happened.

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Most of their highly rated games were not licensed........

But their top sellers are licensed properties. There are some original themes in there, but most of the top sellers are licensed games.

#136 7 years ago

All I know is in the 90s pinball mostly represented the times. Now it represents nothing.

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All I know is in the 90s pinball mostly represented the times. Now it represents nothing.

It still does. Comic book movies are huge, and we got the pins to back that up. The Walking Dead is one of the biggest shows in years, and we got the pin. Even EMs in the 60s often depicted events or times from decades earlier.

I get what you're saying though. I too like modern themes that act as a reflection on current American culture, but I don't want a Justin Beiber pin. I'd rather them dredge up the corpses of Metallica for a game before that.

#138 7 years ago

WMS: licensed, un-licensed, who cares?

That was 20 years ago.

What worked decades in the past, might not really work so well in today's economic climate.

#139 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would say the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80a did well to represent the eras of the period well.
    Seemed to fallout after 1999.
    Not notable since that time, and nothing defined the periods of 00s and 10s.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I would say the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80a did well to represent the eras of the period well.
    Seemed to fallout after 1999.
    Not notable since that time, and nothing defined the periods of 00s and 10s.

Word.

Pinball's soul died in 1999.

As long as it is wealthy middle aged home buyers choosing themes, pinball's soul will remain dead and burried.

#141 7 years ago

I think I just like pinball regardless of the era or manufacturer. There are too many games and not enough money/space.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Selling you my Tron has paid for quite a few lunches.

Don't remind me

Seems it helped buy several woodies too

Did I say that right?

#143 7 years ago

Best selling/ most popular of all time.... is a licenced pinball

e481d924b1e4b21bf5154c93f7972635_(resized).jpge481d924b1e4b21bf5154c93f7972635_(resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago

B/W lover here but my first Stern is on order. I hope GB is a good one!

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

garbage for rock bands in the past decade or two.

80's thrash metal still rules!

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, it's not. But as long as they are licensing 30 year old movies and has been rock stars instead of doing original themes, I won't be sending them any money.

Whoa Nellie is an original theme manufactured by Stern. It's also a lot of fun to play. Since you love EMs, and this is a modern-day homage to classic EM gameplay, I figured this particular release would be right up your alley?

Whoa_Nellie_(resized).pngWhoa_Nellie_(resized).png

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Seems it helped buy several woodies too
    Did I say that right?

Yep, I've got more wood now than I ever dreamed of.

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Whoa Nellie is an original theme manufactured by Stern. It's also a lot of fun to play. Since you love EMs, and this is a modern-day homage to classic EM gameplay, I figured this particular release would be right up your alley?

Yeah, I like it. It's the short flippers that really do it for me. What I'd really like to see is pinball defining the era it's in now too. But I guess it's OK if it limps along with whatever it takes to keep these companies in business. For the most part though, pinball is no longer a part of the pop culture of it's time IMO.

#149 7 years ago

Second highest production game in the history of pinball was NOT a licensed theme, had a title run nearly equal to TAF (only 1000 less).
    I don't count games without flippers.

It used negotiated copyrighted images orchestrated by Bally and artists Paul Faris/Margaret Hudson in a time when actors were not completely anal retentive, ie Henry Winkler (Fonz) and Roz Kelly (Pinky Tuscadero). The licensing "dance" was not the same, and whole lot cheaper. The total production difference is insignificant based on the overall numbers.

TAF, ~21,228
    EB, ~20,230

Although times have changed, original themes can be highly successful, if done properly.
    The problem with pinball is the nature of the industry during periods of flux, such as today.
    Today's pinball manufacturers have a tough time time justifying ideas to management just like the modern movie industry.

They are afraid to take a chance, hence the current "modern" games have a hard time establishing themselves as a symbol of the generational era unlike the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and the constant rehashing to "reboots" across the multiple lines of entertainment development. However, sometimes I have been absolutely clueless what goes on in Gary Stern's head with some of his license deals.
    WPT, WoF, Family Guy, "Good Morning America" (I know this was really not meant for "production", but it actually was considered at one point and quickly dropped).
    WTF Stern?

Spooky took a chance, and so did Heighway with moderate success, but these are not corporations.
    At least Spooky is willing to dive back into the arena with marketing and Dominoes, so that is an interesting direction.
    Not going to be a big seller with collectors, but I get the intent gist here, and it will definitely help both companies.
    "Avoid the Noid."

EB_Backglass.jpgEB_Backglass.jpg

NOTE: This is another NOS EB glass I decided to "throw down" on Ebay recently.
    Not very common for me to buy like this often, but the price was right, because it included the frame for hanging and protection, and shipping was fair. Another glass in the TBK repository...

#150 7 years ago

This is definitely outdated because some Stern games would have populated the licensed list a bit more, but I saw this a few years back. It applies to DMD only, but licensed games definitely always sold more.

Licensed Games
    Sales over 20,000: The Addams Family
    Sales over 15,000: Terminator 2, Twilight Zone
    Sales over 10,000: Indiana Jones, Star Trek: NG, Star Wars
    Sales over 5,000: Demolition Man, Bram Stoker's Dracula, World Cup Soccer '94, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Doctor Who, Corvette, Judge Dredd, Jurassic Park, Hook, Last Action Hero,
    Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party.

Unlicensed Games
    Sales over 20,000: None
    Sales over 15,000: None
    Sales over 10,000: Getaway, Fish Tales
    Sales over 5,000: White Water, Road Show, Theatre of Magic

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-guy-here-should-i-get-a-stern/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.