Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

230e3cd1-146a-4663-8f45-5e3401690703-original_(resized).png
    electroball_(resized).jpg
    Bally_(resized).jpg
    twister_(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    bly3201ballyhoo1_(resized).jpg
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    1334876945_evolution_(resized).jpg
    im-with-stupid-arrow-up-t-shirt_(resized).jpg
    Stern_Cash_Cow_(resized).jpg
    506a418bfb04d60a510012af._w.1500_s.fit__(resized).jpg
    EB_Backglass.jpg
    Whoa_Nellie_(resized).png
    e481d924b1e4b21bf5154c93f7972635_(resized).jpg
    3362c45f821d12f9f818f48a642f157638c40c4c_(resized).png
    amy_(resized).jpg
    There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

agree with you there. usually not a big fan of licensed titles. i'm not going to lie though, owning a TRON would be insane.

I have some good title's if u wanna come down and play some sterns.... im also getting a lotr soon

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

but seriously, what was Stern's last original theme - Sharkey's Shootout *oof*?

Seriously

11077386_10153146898384244_200816576933321367_o_(resized).png11077386_10153146898384244_200816576933321367_o_(resized).png

#53 7 years ago

[Drops mic]

#54 7 years ago

My recommendation is: Get a Stern, but don't give up your WPCs!
    I love them all.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

agree with you there. usually not a big fan of licensed titles. i'm not going to lie though, owning a TRON would be insane.

because of the theme?

If it is for the gameplay then might as well just get a Congo which is cheaper and twice the game with better shot geometry, ruleset, and FUN factor.

#56 7 years ago

My suggestion is get a gottlieb! You can find many great titles for only a small percentage of what a new Stern costs.

Also GTB sys3 is by far the most rock hard system out there. Get them running and they are tanks.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My suggestion is get a gottlieb! You can find many great titles for only a small percentage of what a new Stern costs.
    Also GTB sys3 is by far the most rock hard system out there. Get them running and they are tanks.

You are recommending Rescue 911 over Tron?

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You are recommending Rescue 911 over Tron?

Tron is one of the worse Sterns in the past ten years. Seriously crap game with a bunch of fanboys and people that appear to like spending more time putting mods and light up everything on the game than actually playing the game.

I am recommending Stargate, Teed Off, Cue Ball, and rescue 911 over a single Tron. Four games for 1 crapper is a good thing in my book. Stargate alone is a better game than tron. Throw in a teedoff and cue ball and you have way more fun than tron and for less total money.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

because of the theme?
    If it is for the gameplay then might as well just get a Congo which is cheaper and twice the game with better shot geometry, ruleset, and FUN factor.

Same here. I got on a tron recently and thought, man this layout is similar to Congo but....this game is bleh.

#60 7 years ago

I found that TSPP was the perfect compliment to my WPC collection. It has a lot of polish, fully packed playfield, deep rules, and a lot of character. Keith Johnson really made this game something special with the rules/choreography.

Some newer sterns to me don't have this charm, which is why I've tended to avoid them for my home. However there are some Stern gems you shouldn't miss.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Same here. I got on a tron recently and thought, man this layout is similar to Congo but....this game is bleh.

#62 7 years ago

Of course you should if there are games you find fun and like the theme, I wouldnt worry about who made them too much, both have their good/bad things.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

i've been in the game now for about 6 months. started with a Sorcerer, then picked up a DM, HS2 and WCS. i'm learning as i go, fixing things, upgrading. my question is do i go for a newer stern? are there years to stay away from? i assume they have different part #'s under the sheets, etc. i'd have to get more spares and stuff. now, all my machines pretty much overlap.
    what do you guys think?

Go to this thread and think about it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

...until you pull the plunger and launch the ball into play. that is probably the worst launch shot of any game i have ever played. i owned it for 6 months or so until that and the callouts caused me to terminate my relationship. ...and Amy

amy_(resized).jpgamy_(resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

i couldn't agree less. congo is not on the same level as tron. I guess that's why they make red cars and green cars

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

...until you pull the plunger and launch the ball into play. that is probably the worst launch shot of any game i have ever played.

are you serious?

super skill to kickback to mytery scoop is super satisfying and a legitimate skillshot! One of the best skillshots in pinball.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

are you serious?
    super skill to kickback to mytery scoop is super satisfying and a legitimate skillshot! One of the best skillshots in pinball.

dead serious. congo has one good shot. the volcano. all that garbage up on the top where you play catch with amy? please...

#68 7 years ago

Someone needs to give games like Earthshaker and Whirlwind rules like a Stern. Just a thought.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

congo has one good shot. the volcano. all that garbage up on the top where you play catch with amy? please...

that is funny to me since you own tron. Does that mean in your opinion Tron has zero good shots since it is missing the volcano?

Congo is one of the best examples of a layout using the entire pf in both width and depth. It has close tight shots(MAP scoop and Mystery scoop), nice feeling longer shots (left orbit to lock), deadly center shots (travicom targets), great upper flipper shots and use as a deflector at times, wonderful left ramp return shots which also prevent raping with the divertor, and the commonly accepted best shot in pinball up the voncano.

I can agree lower pf is somewhat silly but it only lasts a few seconds and you could turn it off.

Playing catch with AMY is fun and gives the game personality plus does a nice job of bringing in the movie.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that is funny to me since you own tron. Does that mean in your opinion Tron has zero good shots since it is missing the volcano?
    Congo is one of the best examples of a layout using the entire pf in both width and depth. It has close tight shots(MAP scoop and Mystery scoop), nice feeling longer shots (left orbit to lock), deadly center shots (travicom targets), great upper flipper shots and use as a deflector at times, wonderful left ramp return shots which also prevent raping with the divertor, and the commonly accepted best shot in pinball up the voncano.
    I can agree lower pf is somewhat silly but it only lasts a few seconds and you could turn it off.
    Playing catch with AMY is fun and gives the game personality plus does a nice job of bringing in the movie.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I love Congo, but he could just as easily flip that argument on you since "it's funny that you own a Congo."

These fanboy war threads are the worst.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I said it above. that's why there's red cars and green cars. I don't want to alienate you since you had some really nice compliments on some of my work. I'm just saying I owned both. Congo is gone. Tron will likely never leave. It's a very immersive game. Not a fanboy either whatever the F that means

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

These fanboy war threads are the worst.

this is on topic for the OP since he was mentioning a tron but is a self admitted WPC Guy. No reason to buy a tron unless he loves the theme. Congo is by far the better player and layout offers more variety than tron. No reason for a WPC guy to go Stern for a copycat game. it is like the sequal than fails compared to the original

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I use to be a only b/w dmd pin guy but after playing met at a show i bought my first nib. Since then ive bought twd. Imve, luci and lotr is next. Still love b/w but in home collection i find the stern pins are just more fun and have the deep rules that will keep u coming back for years and years. Plus they dont have as many issues and are easy to work on and move lol.

I think I am heading in that direction. Love playing B/W pins but owning them can be a headache with all the issues. My ST has been rock solid, great sound, great lighting, and deep code that keeps me trying to reach new levels. It has had issues but they have all been easy to fix even with my low skills. It's nice having a few classics but don't think I will pursue owning many more.

#75 7 years ago

Sterns are all deeper, but they're deeper and recently all feel the same to me from game to game. WPC games had character. There are better ones, there are worse ones, but they were allowed to be different.

I have three Sterns, but only one modern Stern. It's all I need.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No reason to buy a tron unless he loves the theme. Congo is by far the better player and layout offers more variety than tron. No reason for a WPC guy to go Stern for a copycat game. it is like the sequal than fails compared to the original

gotta love when opinion is stated as fact with such conviction. Also please note that tim curry is a way better actor than jeff bridges. the way he pulls off the accent in this superior movie and game is unparalleled.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Someone needs to give games like Earthshaker and Whirlwind rules like a Stern. Just a thought.

The rules on Whrilwind are already perfect. Why screw that up?

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

gotta love when opinion is stated as fact with such conviction.

this is a a forum... No real reason to put "IMO" on every post. It should just be assumed.

That said, it is factual that Congo is the far superior player
    Tron is great if you liek to add light up ramps, light up leg protectors, light up plunger, light up bats, light up every damn thing you possibly can! No theme lends itself better to over modification IMO

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

this is a a forum... No real reason to put "IMO" on every post. It should just be assumed.
    Tron is great if you liek to add light up ramps, light up leg protectors, light up plunger, light up bats, light up every damn thing you possibly can! No theme lends itself better to over modification IMO

Congo: "They're Watching" oooooooh powerful stuff.

Should be more like Congo: "The Miracle Whip to Tron's Hellmans"

#80 7 years ago

3362c45f821d12f9f818f48a642f157638c40c4c_(resized).gif3362c45f821d12f9f818f48a642f157638c40c4c_(resized).gif

#81 7 years ago

Stern games are reliable, deep, and fun. They are the best pinball machines ever manufactured.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

this is a a forum... No real reason to put "IMO" on every post. It should just be assu shoed.

They are both really good games and they both have faults. Unfortunately the best shot on Congo (the volcano shot) is never required to do anything. Yes it can give jackpots and an extra ball but I can complete every mode on the game without shooting for it once. It's still a good shot just not implemented well in the code. The upper loop is awesome when you combo it several times.

Tron is great for end of the line combos and has great theme integration and just enough code to keep you coming back without it being stupid deep like many newer sterns. I think the Gem shot is poorly designed though and cannot be made without a ton of luck on many trons.

Both great games though so there's no reason to fight about it.

OP, get a HUO stern that you like. They are great games. Fast, furious, and reliable.

#84 7 years ago

Congo was a turd when it was new and time hasn't improved it. The only reason it and BSD seem to be getting attention now is that the good games are too expensive, so they don't seem as bad in comparison.

As for TRON, I bought it NIB so maybe I'm biased but it's one of the better Sterns. I don't consider it equal to Williams' best like AFM, MM or even MB, but it's certainly better than the cavalcade of failure that is the Stern lineup 2000 to 2008.

#85 7 years ago

So is the argument that Congo is possibly the best wpc? And Tron is the best Stern?

But someone only likes the lights on tron while the others like the game

And there is a cool shot in Congo that is only cool and not super useful

And the skill shot on Congo is super easy and on Tron it's a challenge that is right under your nose

Doesn't Congo have Gorillas and a lower playfield? Doesn't Tron have a spinning disc and an insanely hard Gem shot?

I think the real question is : how many girls are in each game?

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I don't consider it equal to Williams' best like AFM, MM or even MB, but it's certainly better than the cavalcade of failure that is the Stern lineup 2000 to 2008.

I wouldn't exactly consider SM or LOTR failures even if they were not my cup of tea.

#87 7 years ago

TRON or IMVE......both different from WPC " feel" and great games....TRON polarizes for some reason.....I'm on the plus side, as mine is bolted to the floor ( nothing wrong w some bling on a pb, btw)...play it almost every night...

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Congo was a turd when it was new and time hasn't improved it. The only reason it and BSD seem to be getting attention now is that the good games are too expensive, so they don't seem as bad in comparison.
    As for TRON, I bought it NIB so maybe I'm biased but it's one of the better Sterns. I don't consider it equal to Williams' best like AFM, MM or even MB, but it's certainly better than the cavalcade of failure that is the Stern lineup 2000 to 2008.

Nope congo and bsd are actually really good games .... they have been in my small but nice collection the longest and get played just as much as my other top expensive pins lol.

#89 7 years ago

Im one that perfers congo over tron. Ive tried to like tron bc of the layout and theme but i just cant get into for some reason . Maybe one day it will click with me but congo is just great fun , great layout , tons of cool ramps diverters and mechanics.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

i've been in the game now for about 6 months. started with a Sorcerer, then picked up a DM, HS2 and WCS. i'm learning as i go, fixing things, upgrading. my question is do i go for a newer stern? are there years to stay away from? i assume they have different part #'s under the sheets, etc. i'd have to get more spares and stuff. now, all my machines pretty much overlap.
    what do you guys think?

sorry I side tracked the thread.

In an effort to get it back on track, what do you like/dislike about each of your current pins?
    how many do you hope to eventually have?
    do you like tinkering or prefer to play?
    budget or space constraints?

#91 7 years ago

WPC Guy Here. Should I Get A Stern?

Probably, yes.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I think the real question is : how many girls are in each game?

hahahaha, yup. There's the real gauge!

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Stern games are reliable, deep, and fun. They are the best pinball machines ever manufactured.

Now that's some funny shit.

#94 7 years ago

When I started collecting about 3 years ago, I started with all 90s Bally/Williams pins, 8 of them, because that's what I was familiar with. After about a year, I added AC/DC Premium. Now, a couple years later, I have 4 Sterns and 4 B/Ws. Modern Sterns have a different feel than B/Ws. Not necessarily better, but different, and I appreciate the variety. That being said, I still plan to add MM, Tron, and perhaps MB at some point.

So, try some Sterns out and, if there's something you love, add it to the collection.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry I side tracked the thread.
    In an effort to get it back on track, what do you like/dislike about each of your current pins?
    how many do you hope to eventually have?
    do you like tinkering or prefer to play?
    budget or space constraints?

no worries. i enjoy a good internet argument.

Sorcerer - i like it. he was my first, about 6 months ago. i don't think that's why though. i like the condition; that's important. easily above players, but i'm not looking for new playfields or anything. i like working on it. it's simple to work on. simple rule set, which is nice for quick games. most of friends ignore it for my newer games, which makes me sad.

DM - he's gone. lasted about 4 months i think. side drains were so huge; so frustrating. and there were so many misses, especially to the left, that came flying back to center drain. multi-ball shot is a disaster; so tight. i just think the overall design was meh. i only had one friend that really liked it.

HS2 - i fell in love immediately with this one. quick games, which can be annoying for people but it seems okay for this game to me. it could be the rom that came with it, some williams prototype, but i feel like scoring distribution is pretty bad. if you're not scoring jackpots, your score is worthless. maybe that's any game, but i think it's way worse on this one. love the layout. simple, almost as simple as sorcerer really. everything makes sense.

WCS - love it. this could be partly because i've only had it a little over a month, however. way different than my other pins. looks like a lot going on it with it, but feels smooth, fast and well designed. ramp shots are very satisfying. playfield has some below average touchup on it, which sucks but i've stomached it so far. a few broken plastics. i'll get there though.

i can max out to about 7 pins comfortably, but i honestly see only about 4-5 happening. eh, maybe 7 . i'm not spending a lot on any pin, but if a fresh off route top 10 title comes along anything is possible. the most i've spent on a pin so far is $2300, but i think i could handle $3500-4000.

i think i do equal time tinkering/playing. i enjoy both equally, too, or it's close at least. one thing's for sure, i like watching people play them more than anything. they need to have non-pinball people appeal. like the sorcerer, no one plays him; he's gotta go.

#96 7 years ago

apologize for the book.

#98 7 years ago

No apologies necessary amigo. All exciting stuff there, I believe every collection no matter what size needs an 80's game with no ramps, like an early Bally or stern.

When you get a bunch of people together competing for score, the fun really comes out, just something about them

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

the cavalcade of failure that is the Stern lineup 2000 to 2008.

The problem with making sweeping generalizations is that obvious exceptions often make you look foolish.

For example:

• The Simpsons Pinball Party - 2003
    • Lord of the Rings - 2003
    • Spider-Man - 2007

#100 7 years ago

I always ask my self this question when considering buying a pinball machine

Is it Pinball?
    If the answer is :yes
    Then I ask myself this question:
    Can I afford it?
    If the answer is : yes
    Then I ask myself this question:
    Can I fit it in my game room/garage/shop
    If I can answer: yes, then I buy it

Sterns are fun too, they need a home too.

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-guy-here-should-i-get-a-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.