• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190322_175247 (resized).jpg
20190321_134725 (resized).jpg
Ribbon cable reseating  4 connector (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a Dr Who which wasn't working and am trying to bring it back from the dead. I've replaced 4 fuses and after switching it on the following can be observed:

- everything is dead on the playfield/backglass, no lights at all
- the left ramp diverter coil locks on, and activates diverter
- scrambled line on the DMD, nothing else
- LEDs D19 and D21 are constantly lit on the MPU board
- low hum from the speakers

I've checked the power driver board LEDs and they seem to be correct. I've tried re-seating a lot of cables, checking all fuses are ok, pushed on the MPU, and booting the MPU with only power connected - but nothing seems to have an effect.

Next step was to try the MPU board out of my CFTBL but I'm worried I fry it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

#5 5 years ago

Brilliant advice!

Should I desolder the coil as a precaution?

Will also measure that 5v supply. Then swap the U6 into my Creech board and report back.

#6 5 years ago

It's not the ribbon Pinball Maniac40.

#7 5 years ago

Swapped over the MPU board from CFTBL and inserted the DW U6 chip.

It behaves fine with only J210 connected (D19 goes out, D20 flashes). But with all cables connected it does the same as the original (D19 and 21 permanently on).

The original board didn't work in CFTBL so definitely needs some repair.

Mmmm.... any ideas?

#8 5 years ago

Ok got the game to boot!

Used my good MPU board, and left all the ribbons connected to it apart from the two to the DMD driver board. Game booted, passed the test mode and all the lights started cycling with audio- excellent!

In the excitement I didn't notice the coil was still locked on and it started smoking - this needs sorting.

So it looks like the issue is with the DMD board. I think I have a spare so will try swapping it out. I've never read that this board could stop a game booting before?

#10 5 years ago

Bit more progress in getting this thing working...

Swapped out a DMD board and it booted up ok, so this board was somehow preventing the game from booting which is interesting! Looking at the attached photo the R7 resistor looks in bad shape.

So game now boots but there are problems with the trap door solenoid locking, which suggests a shorted driver transistor. Then also the TARDIS popper and left time expanded pop-out are not working, so maybe also TIP36C transistor issues.

Does anyone know if the resistor and diode also need to be replaced? Or at least checked out?

20190321_134725 (resized).jpg20190321_134725 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes, R7 and D7 need to be replaced. They are burnt.
I meant to get to post that I have had a DMD controller failed to boot up a game in the past, but was related to 2 ICs shorted. Not sure if those 2 parts have anything to do with the boot up failure in your case.

Thanks man, I'll get to work on them. Just to be clear, by ICs do you mean the legs on the chips?

#14 5 years ago

I can't remember ever having an issue with a TIP36C transistor in a WPC game.
Far as the TARDIS popper and left time expanded pop-out are not working--test F101 to F105 fuses in the middle of the driver board. I hope you just have a blown fuse.
trap door solenoid locking--definitely would need to change the drive transistor listed in the solenoid chart. Likely this one will be a TIP102

Cheers for that. All three transistors are TIP36C, Q72/78/80 I think. The fuses check out ok, and there is about 45-50 volts at the coil. I would love it if I only had to change one, but I cant figure out what else could be the problem.

I think you can test those transistors but you gave to remove the power board, so that's the next step.

#17 5 years ago

Do you have some connectors removed from the driver board right now, which is why you were able to measure the voltages at the coils?

No, they were connected. Now I'm thinking I haven't measured it properly... they share the violet/yellow wire, and as the trap door locks on there must be voltage there right? I desoldered the power to that coil for the time being.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks again for the tips!! Locked on coil is now disconnected at the smaller wire.

All the voltages checked out ok. I took the power board out and the reason why those other two coils (on pins 4 and 5) were not firing became quite apparent:
20190322_175247 (resized).jpg20190322_175247 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-game-dr-who-won-t-boot-coil-locks-on?tu=thewool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.